Jewish Heritage Istanbul

If you go back here to the main forum for Other Mediterranean Ports and use the search feature to the right of the blue bar near the top of the page you should find something.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=234

When I was researching a few years ago for our Istanbul stop I recall someone planning such a tour. You could also ask your question on Trip Advisor.

When I was in Istanbul a few years ago, I took a wonderful Jewish heritage tour which I'd booked at home through a tour company, but the local provider was VIP Tours.

The guide was excellent. We visited some non-Jewish sites as well, as the heritage is intertwined. It's important to book ahead, because for many of the Jewish sites, you have to get security clearance and permissions in advance.

Has anyone done a half day Jewish heritage tour in Istanbul? There are a few companies that do them, but I am hoping for some feedback from the Cruisecritic experts.

Yes, but we did this so many years ago, I'm reluctant to recommend our specific tour provider. A couple of things to look for when making your choice:

o driver and guide (The part of the city where most of the Jewish heritage sites are located is quite congested. You'll want to have the driver drop you off and wait "somewhere" else while the guide accompanies you inside the various places.

o access inside. (You should begin making arrangements well in advance. The best tours will provide access to the currently used synagogues which unfortunately have been attacked in recent memory. You'll need to provide copies of your passport well in advance so the security forces for the synagogues can clear you for a visit. The time spent in no man's land within the synagogue while the security forces look you over is a truly blood chilling experience. When you see the bullet holes in the walls, you'll understand the precaution.)

• 1 month later...
If you go back here to the main forum for Other Mediterranean Ports and use the search feature to the right of the blue bar near the top of the page you should find something.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=234

When I was researching a few years ago for our Istanbul stop I recall someone planning such a tour. You could also ask your question on Trip Advisor.

I did it. We were 3 friends, 2 of us loved it, the other one said is X. You have to do it with a guide because is easy to get lost, many labyrinthine streets.

We took a ful day trip that included Balat (Jewish neighborhood), Fener (greek neighborhood) and Fatih (the real turkish part of Istanbul).

I will recomend it 100%