Excursions (not thru CCL): cash or credit card

kay1864

We're on an Eastern Caribbean itinerary (St Thomas, San Juan, Grand Turk, Nassau)

I'm thinking of arranging excursions on my own, and paying cash. I'm assuming most locals prefer cash since they don't lose the 3%. Any pros/cons to cash vs. credit card?

We're on an Eastern Caribbean itinerary (St Thomas, San Juan, Grand Turk, Nassau)

I'm thinking of arranging excursions on my own, and paying cash. I'm assuming most locals prefer cash since they don't lose the 3%. Any pros/cons to cash vs. credit card?

All but one of the private excursions I've booked have you reserve with a credit card and ask that you pay the balance in cash the day of the excursion.

I'm sure they prefer cash.

Some excursions we've done require a deposit prior. We do use a CC for this.

But once on the islands, we use cash only.

As already mentioned, they prefer cash. Some will take a CC with a fee.

I just don't like the idea of my CC number floating around the Caribbean.

I always take both, but I especially make sure I have plenty of cash.

My dad and brother just got back from a big group cruise. In Belize their friend had booked the excursion for everyone. The paperwork said credit cards accepted so the friend just took a credit card and was going to get payment from everyone later. When they got there the credit card wouldn't work! He called the bank and the bank said it was a problem on the merchant's end. Luckily others had enough cash on them to cover it.

Depending on what it is. For instance we went on a tour in Grand Cayman with Captain Marvin's. It was a boat tour, and we were in a foreign country. By using our AMex, we were covered under their Emergency clause we have. Meaning in the case of an emergency-the boat sinks and we get hurt, AmEx, recognizes the issue and will grant us emergency credit should we need it for medical expenses. They will also then coordinate with the company for reimbursement, etc-should it be there fault.

If we go shopping-if you see a discrepency, your credit card company will mediate for you-say you buy jewelry and it breaks or is fake. After all the issues I've heard with people getting warranty service...I'll let them deal with it for me.

And credit cards are protected under law. No one is going to run around and ring up charges without your knowledge unless you just blindly pay the bill and don't check things out.

Big things, use my CC, little things cash.