Semi LIVE Review:Oasis of the Seas - June 21, 2014 - Western Caribbean

Originally Posted by ILuvCruisin'

Hey Folk Singer I will be sure I use my biggest piece of luggage.

Originally Posted by Folk Singer

Thank you, Right now as my Halo has slipped a little more, bigger would be better. lol

Originally Posted by ILuvCruisin'

Ok no problemo! Consider it done!!!

I would rest for a while in the beer cooler as well. Maybe they need a taste tester.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Good way to earn your keep! ;)

wow..Thanks for the review and the wonderful pictures!! Maybe someday I will be able to sail on Oasis or Allure. I cannot believe how huge it is!! Living vicariously through your review !!:D

Hi karen&roy. Thanks so much for taking the time to post. I am happy that you are riding with a Sistah and enjoying it!!!

The sisters are quite large and they pack in a lot of FUN and great places for some R&R as well. The Solarium is one of my fav places when I don't want a lot of "stuff" happening around me. I hope you get a chance to sail on one or the other soon.

Hopefully you will stay on for this ride and keep a look out for my Quantum review coming up for the Nov 14 sailing. :cool:

I just got sooooo excited when I saw this that I had to share it....Quantum Family Connected Junior Suite

Check out this configuration and tell me what you think...

1ccd9c160dcabf542eb4df533b09bdc0.jpg

d7ba3b79a0215da5e0189875622a6459.jpg

Note what could be used as a shared hallway on the right side of the image. This is needed in case a booking does not use all of the cabins within the Family Connected℠ Junior Suite.

Edited by ILuvCruisin'

Thanks to cruiser caneguy for pics and commentary below of the Oasis Galley Behind the Scenes Tour. (3 of 3)

galley con't

ThemakeroftheShrimpCocktail_zps8210fc6b.jpg

MAKING THE SHRIMP COCKTAIL

ShrimpCocktailanyone_zps7ceab327.jpg

SHRIMP COCKTAIL ANYONE?

Kitchen_zpsf5735acd.jpg

Now that's what I call a kitchen! Do we have any chefs in the house that are looking at this kitchen and wishing real hard?

All Access Tour - Engine Room and Laundry Area

This guy makes me want to book the All Access Tour….thanks caneguy

Let's continue...

From the storage area we then proceeded to the Engine Control Room. This is the area were most all of the ship’s controls are monitored. We were given a very informative talk by the Chief Environmental Engineer. He gave us a detailed talk on how the ship disposes of it’s waste and that the Oasis produces ZERO amount of landfill!!! Everything is either burned off or recycled. Food items are washed and then disposed of at sea to feed the fish! He mentioned that at times you can see porpoise jump behind the ship feeding on the disposed food.

1) The ship’s propellers are called Azipods. There are three of them and they can rotate 360 degrees

2) There are 4 thrusters on the bow of the ship to help maneuver the ship, two on each side

3) The Oasis travels at the SLOWEST SPEED needed to arrive at the next port on time, saves fuel.

EngineControlroom_zps878f2b11.jpg

After the Engine control room tour we descended a small and very steep staircase two decks below sea level into the laundry. This has got to be the worst job on the ship!!!

Very interesting area, but I would not want to spend too much time here!

Laundryanyone_zpsdf930923.jpg

Laundry2_zpsd741cbb2.jpg

AREA WHERE GUEST LAUNDRY IS DONE

smallloadwasher270pounds_zps12729d6e.jpg

SMALL WASHING MACHINE ONLY 275 LBS

largewashingmachine900lbs_zpsb930a424.jpg

LARGE WASHING MACHINE 900 LBS

after the wash, the laundry is put on a conveyor belt and brought to the dryer. It is then fed into a presser and folded for use again.

From the laundry we walked down the famous I-95 corridor from the aft of the ship to the forward area into the staff mess hall. The only place were pictures were forbidden was along the I-95 corridor. The reason given was the placement on the walls of detailed descriptions of the ship that they do not want I guess on sites such as this… VERY INTERESTING ITEM. As we approached the crew mess there was a long line of staff. I asked someone what they were waiting for and it was PAY DAY!! The staff is pain in CASH! There is no tax taken out from the gross pay (except for U.S. Citizens). Our guide of the tour told us that each staff has a locker to keep valuables and that they have an ATM machine to re-charge their Sea Pass card. Yes even the staff has a cashless system. They buy drinks at the Crew Bar (much less then we do, Vodka and Cran. = $1.50!) and anything else they want to purchase on the ship. When they travel back home, it is at the custom check point that they declare the amount of cash they are bringing back and they have to produce a pay stub to prove that the cash was obtained legally. It is then that they are taxed on the earnings.

I-95_zps38b627ec.jpg

THE ONLY PICTURE ALLOWED OF I-95

More of the All Access Tour….thanks caneguy

crewmesshall_zps2e4fe8a1.jpg

THE CREW MESS HALL

NOW on to the BRIDGE!!

We were greeted by an officer cadet and given a talk about the different controls, radar and maps used on the Bridge. We spent about 15-20 minutes there and then our tour was finished

DABridge_zps6b75638b.jpg

THE BRIDGE

HeliportfromBridge_zps34125ad0.jpg

VIEW OF THE HELIPORT.

OurCaptainMastergreetsus_zpsdffd9056.jpg

A GREETING MY THE MASTER (CAPTAIN)

Controlpanel__zps837540f5.jpg

THE SIDE CONTROL PANEL

There is one on each side of the bridge. The 3 round "things" with the little handle control the Azipods (propellers)

Radarandcontrolscreens_zps3891d4cd.jpg

RADAR MAPS AND DECK PLANS

The deck plans give details as to the condition of the ship. There are different colors for liquid holding tanks as to what they are holding. An officer in an emergency and dump any liquid, even empty all the pools (it takes about 20 minutes)

Edited by ILuvCruisin'

Round 3 of the All Access Tour….thanks caneguy

I can remember years ago they would let you tour the bridge for free and other areas as well. The tours were listed as one of the activities on the Cruise Compass. Now if you don't book the All Access Tour for a fee or unless you are part of a VIP group you don't get to see these areas.

Caneguy has given us some great photos and info and I am going to look into this All Access Tour (or pray for the arrival of a VIP invite) :D What about you?

Radar_zps365c06aa.jpg

RADAR CLOSE-UP

zoom in, notice you can see a tag for cruise ships and the location of the ship.

SIttingintheCaptainChair_zps5e395e24.jpg

THE VIEW FROM THE CAPTAIN CHAIR

ShipOfficers_zpsb5b005b1.jpg

OUR 1ST AND 2ND OFFICER.

SO These guys are amazing. The 1st officer in the white shirt is 23 and from Canada, the 2nd officer in the dark shirt is 21 and from New Zealand. What a future they have!!!

It is just an Amazing view and what Awesome jobs for these young guys.

Current info for The All Access Tour:

Lasts about 3-4 hours and ends with a lunch. Cost is $150pp.

You can sign up on board or book ahead of time through your cruise planner on the website.

Edited by ILuvCruisin'

Ms. Oasis is now in dry dock

So Ms. Oasis is now in dry dock and of course there is a lot of information floating around as to what is taking place during this particular dry dock. RCCL has not had any reveals. So everyone is speculating.

Here's one post I ran across concerning some of the changes

Please post what changes you think are going to occur and how do you feel about Dynamic Dining? I'm looking forward to trying it on the Quantum 2 day Inaugural and Naming Ceremony Nov 14.

I read this earlier tonight on the Royal Caribbean FB page. It was posted by Royal Caribbean in response to a question:

Royal Caribbean International Hi Nic, Dynamic Dining will go live on Oasis of the Seas in early 2015.

Traditional dining consists of two dining times (Main and Late) in a Main Dining Room. The Dynamic Dining experience encompasses the entire landscape of new unique dining venues. The new philosophy is simple: Give our guests more options, more flexibility, more control over their dining experience. The dining experience on Oasis has been reimagined as four main complimentary restaurants, each with their own distinctive menu and ambiance. There are no set dining times, no required formal nights, no assigned seats. Deck 3 will be American Icon Grill, Deck 4 will be The Grande Restaurant, Deck 5 will be Silk. Coastal Kitchen will be added on Deck 17.

Like · Reply · 2 · September 13 at 8:06pm

Edited by ILuvCruisin'

Just spent the day (on and off) reading your thread from start to finish. It's great the way you managed to get photos from other users to give a complete picture.

I am booked on Allure transatlantic Oct 2015 so great to read all about sister ship. Interesting your post about Dynamic Dining- I wonder will Allure be same way after dry dock - when I booked recently only MTD available, no traditional dining where you can pick early or late sitting.

Thanks for taking time to post.

Just spent the day (on and off) reading your thread from start to finish. It's great the way you managed to get photos from other users to give a complete picture.

I am booked on Allure transatlantic Oct 2015 so great to read all about sister ship. Interesting your post about Dynamic Dining- I wonder will Allure be same way after dry dock - when I booked recently only MTD available, no traditional dining where you can pick early or late sitting.

Thanks for taking time to post.

Hi FirstCruise2331. Thanks for taking the time to read this thread. I have gained so much from what all of you have written on CC it's good to know I can give back something useful.

I couldn't possibly take pictures of everything there is to see, do (and eat) on board or at the various ports but when you go searching for stuff most times you can find it on here some place. So I love giving other people's posts a place. Folks have some great info and beautiful pics. It's good to be able to share them. Thanks to everyone who has "contributed" thus far to this thread and to those who will "contribute" in the future. ;)

That is interesting about the MTD on Allure. Wonder what's up with that? Is this your first Transatlantic? I have never done one. At least you know you are on a ship that will have plenty to keep you occupied.

Thanks again for riding with a sistah. Stay tuned as we go into the final stretch. :cool:

I'm ready to go and normally will post a review with lots of pics when I return but I decided to try this one "LIVE". If there is any interest please let me know by posting a comment. If not I'll keep it till I get back.

I'll start by telling you that we are leaving tomorrow for Ft. Lauderdale and I am very excited to be on Ms. Oasis again even though I have sailed her and her sister' date=' Ms. Allure, several times already. I just love these ships and have yet to do it all!!!!

If you want this "LIVE" then let us know soon as SAIL AWAY is scheduled for Saturday. :cool::D[/quote']

Great. Have a great time.

Photos are amazing.:):)

Thanks Folk Singer....I got lots of help from people on these boards... ;)

Thanks Ms. Lilie. :D:D

You are so welcome, Folk Singer. And thank you for riding with a sistah. :cool:

Edited by ILuvCruisin'

Sorry about the links in post #327 for Compass comparisons. :o

This thread has the compasses from May 2014, Western, to compare with the Compasses in previous posts on this thread that are for other dates:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2048332 (Check out post #2)

It's a great way to compare activities for different sail dates...

Edited by ILuvCruisin'

Oasis Bars #1

The Cruise Critic meet up for our Roll Call group was scheduled for the Sky Bar rihgt after the Muster drill. of course if you recall it rained during sail aways so it was changed to the Viking Crown, but we didn't know that. We met on many occasions after that in one of the many Bars on Ms. Oasis. They are great meeting places for a variety of reasons.The least of which is that there is usually some sort of libation available. ;)

Herewith some pics of various bars around the ship. Thanks to all of the CCers who made these wonderful pics available for our enjoyment.

Oasis Bars - Rising Tide

Day 5: Rising Tide

One of the the most innovative attraction on the ship is the Rising Tide Bar.

It is an elevating bar that goes between deck 5 Promenade up to deck 8 Central

Park. During the day it is stationed on deck 8 while a water fountain display

takes place underneath.

AF931007-1936-4811-BBF0-7B092FBCDA4E_zps8uzbxxvl.jpg

In the evening it transforms into a bustling bar. You can enter or exit either

on deck 5 or 8 and the arrival and departure times are located on a digital

board on both decks. It takes about ten minutes to get from one deck to the

next so plan according. I say plan according because we got so caught up in the

great view and tasty cocktails that we didn't get off on deck 8 like we wanted

to. Our dinner reservations were in Central Park so that's where we had wanted

to get off but instead we stuck it out and waited for it to go back up. You can

stay on the bar for as long as you would like. If I remember correctly the bar

on the Allure had a "set up" bar top where as the Oasis had a built in bar. The

Rising Tide is a fun experience that should be done at least once while onboard!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

A.+Rising+Tide.JPG

Oasis Bars - Schooner

The Schooner Bar is always one of our fav meeting places. We watch parades from here and meet up here to look at ship pictures (photo studio is directly across the way) and discuss our next activity. It is a wonderful open space that has entertainment at times and at other times can be very quiet. With a look down on the Royal Promenade it is also a great people watching spot.

imagejpg9_zps04e044e4.jpg

A look at the Schooner Bar located directly across from the Rising Tide

Sent from my iPad using Forums

1157106750.jpg

Hi FirstCruise2331. Thanks for taking the time to read this thread. I have gained so much from what all of you have written on CC it's good to know I can give back something useful.

I couldn't possibly take pictures of everything there is to see' date=' do (and eat) on board or at the various ports but when you go searching for stuff most times you can find it on here some place. So I love giving other people's posts a place. Folks have some great info and beautiful pics. It's good to be able to share them. Thanks to everyone who has "contributed" thus far to this thread and to those who will "contribute" in the future. ;)

That is interesting about the MTD on Allure. Wonder what's up with that? Is this your first Transatlantic? I have never done one. At least you know you are on a ship that will have plenty to keep you occupied.

Thanks again for riding with a sistah. Stay tuned as we go into the final stretch. :cool:[/quote']

Yes it's my first TA..also my first ever cruise! Was booked on Allure few years ago Eastern Caribbean but had to cancel before final payment. Oasis in Europe wasn't a runner this year financially but when looked into Allure for next Summer it's much better value to do the TA and get 12 nights on board!

DW still to be convinced about concept of cruising but she's signed up anyway!

I see you've moved on to talk about bars- very interested in those! Got the Select Package thrown in by RC when we booked. Will probably upgrade to Premium and will be hoping to have a drink in all those bars at some stage !!

Yes it's my first TA..also my first ever cruise! Was booked on Allure few years ago Eastern Caribbean but had to cancel before final payment. Oasis in Europe wasn't a runner this year financially but when looked into Allure for next Summer it's much better value to do the TA and get 12 nights on board!

DW still to be convinced about concept of cruising but she's signed up anyway!

I see you've moved on to talk about bars- very interested in those! Got the Select Package thrown in by RC when we booked. Will probably upgrade to Premium and will be hoping to have a drink in all those bars at some stage !!

Wow FirstCruise2331 so this is in fact you're first cruise and it's a TA. Good for you. You are going to have a ball! We appreciate you bringing her back home to us. Will this be your first time in the US?

What are some of DW's reservations?

Yes, anyone who wants to try all the bars the drink package will come in handy. Are you saying you received the drink package as a bonus from RCCL when you booked?

Edited by ILuvCruisin'

Some Royal Drink Package threads

Here's a couple of discussions about the RCCL Drink Packages.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2110824&highlight=drink+packages

Soda Thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2107916&highlight=drink+packages

When my son was younger I used to get him the soda package. That was way before the drink machines. I have not tried any of them recently. I don't really drink that much soda. I get the few that I drink from the Diamond Lounge or I may have one at dinner. I buy very few alcoholic drinks so it's really not worth the price for me.

For those who have tried or want to try a drink package please post your thoughts.

Please stay along for the ride. More to come.

Edited by ILuvCruisin'

A bit more on the Soda Package:

Thanks Cupcrazy and maureencruiser...

Everywhere you go the first day they are trying to sell you the unlimited pop package (soda if you're American). I said to myself I wasn't going to buy it, but later in the day I was really thirsty so I gave in. The package is $6.50 per day plus an automatic 15% gratuity for a total of $52.33.

IMG_0653_zpsbf75b34f.jpg

Info for the soda drinkers

232323232%7Ffp54432%3Enu%3D4849%3E6%3C2%3E%3B34%3EWSNRCG%3D3699%3A6%3A364348nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv566%3B%3Dot%3E393%3A%3D7%3B3%3D%3C25%3DXROQDF%3E278%3A979474257ot1lsi

I was so excited to find this thread and have spent the better part of my day reading it! This is my 2nd cruise ever (both RCI) and my first on the Oasis. Leaving April 18, 2015 on an Eastern Caribbean (seems like forever). My first cruise I was at the very front of the ship in a room with window only and the motion bothered me a lot. This time I am oceanview balcony midship. Please tell me the motion will be little to none! I don't get motion sick ever but for some reason I did (it might be a control issue :)). Also, the food in the MDR looks so good I am reconsidering even booking specialty dining. Thoughts? Last question: we are staying the night before at the Bahia Mar in Ft. Lauderdale. Wondered if there was anything fun to do precruise.

I was so excited to find this thread and have spent the better part of my day reading it! This is my 2nd cruise ever (both RCI) and my first on the Oasis. Leaving April 18, 2015 on an Eastern Caribbean (seems like forever). My first cruise I was at the very front of the ship in a room with window only and the motion bothered me a lot. This time I am oceanview balcony midship. Please tell me the motion will be little to none! I don't get motion sick ever but for some reason I did (it might be a control issue :)). Also, the food in the MDR looks so good I am reconsidering even booking specialty dining. Thoughts? Last question: we are staying the night before at the Bahia Mar in Ft. Lauderdale. Wondered if there was anything fun to do precruise.

Hi Megville: Thanks so much for reading this thread and Congrads on your upcoming April 18 Cruise. You will have to let us know about all the changes

to Ms. Oasis since dry dock.

I am very prone to motion sickness, even on airplanes and so I do not take a chance. I get the patch for every cruise and take Dramamine before flying.

The food in the MDR is hit and miss for me. I am a picky eater and although I will try different foods sometimes I will eat just soup and a salad and then eat something for Cafe Promenade or Windjammer later. I always tell people that the beauty of Oasis and Allure when it comes to food is that when you can't find something to eat at one place you can always check out some place else. I love to do specialty at least once or twice just to break it up.

This is what I found on the Bahia Mar Hotel Site: "The Bahia Mar Fort Lauderdale Beach Hotel, A DoubleTree by Hilton, is located directly on the beach in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. The hotel is four miles from Fort Lauderdale / Hollywood International Airport (FLL) and 30 miles from Miami International Airport (MIA). The Port Everglades Cruise Terminal and the Broward County Convention Center is one mile away, and the shopping, dining and nightlife of Las Olas Boulevard are two blocks away and reachable by our water taxi service. " It looks like a gorgeous hotel!

I have no doubt you are going to have a wonderful time on Ms. Oasis.

Thanks for riding with a Sistah! Please be sure to come back for the rest.