Combo Helicopter and Land tour in Hilo?

tdelliott

I will be on the POA in 20 days and I have everything booked and ready to go. My only hesitation is Hilo.

This is my third time on the POA, but it is the first time for my parents. I want them to experience Volcano National Park via land and by helicopter. Right now, I have 2 back to back excursions booked through NCL. The timing works, but it just seems like a waste of time to go to Volcano National Park then return to the ship just to join the next excursion headed back to the park.

Does anyone know of a private tour that will do a land and helicopter combination tour?

Thanks,

Tamara in Texas

I will be on the POA in 20 days and I have everything booked and ready to go. My only hesitation is Hilo.

This is my third time on the POA, but it is the first time for my parents. I want them to experience Volcano National Park via land and by helicopter. Right now, I have 2 back to back excursions booked through NCL. The timing works, but it just seems like a waste of time to go to Volcano National Park then return to the ship just to join the next excursion headed back to the park.

Does anyone know of a private tour that will do a land and helicopter combination tour?

Thanks,

Tamara in Texas

Hi Tamara - You sound just like my husband except he wanted to do land, sea, and air!!

I'm not sure how comfortable you would be with venturing on your own, but as long as you time it right and plan, you can do exactly what we did and save some money.

We booked the Doors Off helicopter ride from Hawaii Cruise Excursions (hawaiicruiseexcursions.com/BigIslandHeliDoorsOffTour) which left from Hilo airport; we also booked a rental for the day from the same airport. The excursion desk for the helicopter tour was in the same terminal as the car rental company.

Basically, we got off POA and took the free shuttle to the Hilo airport. We got the keys to our car and asked if it was OK to leave it there until our helicopter ride was over, and the folks there had no problem with that. We had our helicopter excursion around 10am and when we were done we went right to the car! We drove ourselves to Volcano National Park (it's really one road, Route 11) which took about 30 minutes and paid the $10 to get in. They give you a huge park map and we chose to drive Chain of Craters Road to the bottom, stopping along the way to take in some of the surroundings. The tour buses that you could pay $$$ for do not go all the way down...and that is where the lava steam and old flows can be seen.

We spent about 4 hours in VNP and had enough time to drive back, gas up, return the car, and catch the free shuttle from the airport back to the ship. I know this sounds like alot but honestly, we saw so much and it was a great day. I wished we had more time on the Big Island as it was by far our favorite island.

I hope this helps and that you all have a wonderful time. I don't think a week goes by where my hubby and I reference something about our time spent there!!

Great idea! How far was the airport from the ship?

Cami

Melbourne,FL

POA July12-19, 2014

It was about a 15 min ride and there is a free shuttle for the various rental car companies at the pier once you get off.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app