Goff's Caye, or Barrier reef snorkle at Rendevoux Caye, or Horsehoe/Caye Caulker

travelgoddes

I am new at snorkeling, but I don't like to be dropped in deep water. I see that Goffs Caye you can snorkle from the island? How is the beach at Goffs Caye, is it soft and sandy? How is the Barrier reef snorkle, and is Rend. Caye nicer than Goff's? Also looking at Horseshoe reef/Caye Caulker. Any input on these 3 tours would be greatly appreciated

I haven't been yet, but since no one has responded yet I thought I'd help. These are all things I've found out by doing research, and reading these boards. Apparently Geoffs Caye is very tiny. Not sure if I'd like that. The tour from Coral Breeze sounds good cause you get to snorkle at two or maybe three places. One of them is off a bigger island...Caye Caulker, which sounds pretty good to me, with a restaurant. There's one through Carnival, and possibly other ships, which is to Sgt. Caye and it sounds good because it is a marine ecology island (research there?)and supposedly is the largest of the barrier reefs.

Hope that helps a little.

Vicky:o

I just posted a lengthy description of the Rendesvous Caye snorkling trip on the "? re: rendezvous key catamaran excursion" thread. They do a good job with inexperienced snorklers. We snorkled from the boat, very near the shore, but not actually from the shore itself. You can ease in using a ladder into about 5-6 feet of water. You will also have a snorkling vest, which you can inflate or not as you prefer. The Caye is very small, maybe 2-300 feet in diameter but that didn't seem to bother anyone.

We had a great time there. Sorry, but I don't know anything about the other excursions you were wondering about.

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

Goff's Caye allows you to snorkel off the island (It's very small). The boat drops those who want to snorkel off of the beach first. Then they take the boat out into water. We hit deep water sometimes, and sometimes we were right above the coral (You had to be careful to kick). It was completely amazing. That experience has made me want to visit Belize again.

The beach was nice, but it was mostly sea grass and not a lot of fish around the beach. You had to go out from the beach to actually see stuff. The only thing I saw upclose on the beach was a baracuda and some other fish.

Archived