A Tale With 3 Morals

Summergee

My sons have just returned from a four nighter to Hamburg and back.

A few weeks ago they saw an evening trip in Hamburg that they liked had been added to the shore excursions, so they booked it.

10pm, the night they boarded, they had a letter saying that the trip had been cancelled. An hour later their tickets for the cancelled trip were delivered!

The next morning they ask for clarification. They were told that an email had been sent out the evening before they were due to sail telling them of the cancellation.

They had not been expecting to eat on the ship on Sunday, so they only took 3 shirts. They pointed this out and were told they could always eat in the Kings Court.

After asking several times to speak to someone higher up, they were eventually told that they could have complimentary cleaning on a shirt each so that they could eat in their allocated restaurant.

Moral 1 - Check your emails just before you leave home.

Moral2 - Take a spare shirt.

Moral 3 - If you persist you may get an answer you like.

They were also told that is better to wait until on board to book shore excursions.

Moral 1 - Check your emails just before you leave home.

Similar thing happened to us - we'd booked a two day shore excursion in St Petersburg. Message received on board advising it had been cancelled. No good checking emails before you leave: when I got home I checked - notice was sent at 0846 on the day we embarked, by which time we were long gone.

To add insult to injury, when Cunard refunded the tour cost the exchange rate had dipped, so they refunded less than we had paid.:D

Mary

Edited by Norfolk Brit

I assume because of the 3 or 4 shirts on a 4 night trip you are referring to a shirt that will only be worn at night whilst at dinner/in the bars in the evening.

Why couldn't he just wear a shirt twice ? Why do you need to wash it after only a few hours of wearing it ? It's not like he'd be breaking into a sweat or that the shirt would smell of smoke ?

Unless I'm missing something, your complaint about only have 3 shirts for 4 evenings seems somewhat petty.

He suffers from excessive sweating so needs a clean shirt each night. If he didn't have to wear a jacket there would have been no problem. Before you ask, he does take a spare shirt to work and changes at lunchtime.

He suffers from excessive sweating so needs a clean shirt each night. If he didn't have to wear a jacket there would have been no problem. Before you ask, he does take a spare shirt to work and changes at lunchtime.

Well, I was missing something then. But given what you say I'd have thought he'd have packed a few spares anyway (because that's what he has to do for work).

They were also told that is better to wait until on board to book shore excursions.

Great advice but fat chance that you are going to get the one you have your heart set on.

I would have spent the evening in Hamburg anyway....just because.