Baltic Pictures Posted (Jewel 07/02-14/05)

I had 1636 pictures to sort through and I finally put the last caption on the last picture. All my pictures are in albums on Webshots sorted by the London precruise, Jewel, and each Baltic port. To see the pictures, click the Webshots link in my signature. This is was an incredible cruise and we saw some amazing sights and buildings. Hope you enjoy the pictures . . .

We were very fortunate to have sunny skies and very warm weather for the Baltics. Every morning when we saw the sun we were thankful it wasn't raining. We had rain the night we sailed out of Copenhagen but that was it except for our prestay in London. I've never seen blue skies like we saw in the Baltics. When we were in St Petersburg and saw the gold domes against that incredible blue sky it was just amazing. The sun set around midnight and was up again at 3:00 a.m.

You will love the ports of call. If you're using a digital camera take lots of cards and be prepared for sensory overload. Some of these cathedrals and palaces are so incredibly beautiful. Make sure to post a review and your pictures when you return. Have a safe cruise.

Hi Jean,

I knew that St. Petersburg was going to be magnificent ;) But, you are right the blue skies were something else. I can only hope for such weather.

Really appreciate the pre-cruise review.

I have just recently swtiched over to a digital. Have got stocked up on cards.

Also plan to bring my camera with 800 film for darker shots.

I too use webshots & will post pics for sure.

Thanks again.

Cathy

I didn't need to enhance the sky . . . it was actually that shade of blue and with the gold domes it was an incredible sight. We had some overcast skies (look at the Dover pictures). On the cruise we only had rain as we left Copenhagen but otherwise we had fabulous weather. No need for the sweaters we packed: temperatures were in the low 80s. Every port the guides commented on how unusual the weather was.

Sunprincess, thank you attaching the link to your post; that was very nice of you. I hope you have that beautiful shade of blue in the sky for your visit. We found that same blue sky last year in Norway when we were on the British Isles/Norwegian Fjords cruise.

Thank you for your nice comments. The blue skies were incredible. We saw that blue sky last summer too in Norway. I noticed how the sky changed from the morning when it was often cloudy and even gray to around noon when it was really blue. The shade of blue also seemed to depend on the direction I was facing and whether there were clouds or haze in the sky. We were very fortunate to have beautiful weather. Those ports often have rain for days at a time and some mornings it looked like showers until midday.

Jean, you are a terrific photographer! Each shot is beautifully composed. Are you a professional photographer? An artist, surely. I tried to save a couple of your photos to my computer so I could make a screen saver out of them, but they are too small. Even when I tried to enlarge them, or increase the resolution, it didn't work. Do you know of a way I could do that? We saw most of the same things you did, but your photos are much better than mine, and it would be lovely to see them in a screen saver format.

Thanks, Susan

Thank you for your nice comments. I'm not a professional photographer or an artist: I'm actually a technical writer. I also had a problem with the Webshots download feature. You can get a full-size picture by doing the following.

1. If you are viewing the pictures in Thumbnails view, double-click the picture so it appears in a new window. You cannot be in Slide Show mode to save the picture.

2. Just below the picture, click Full Size. The picture is displayed in a separate window.

3. Right-click the picture and select Save Picture As. My pictures are 1800 x 1200, which is a suitable resolution to print up to an 8x10 picture.

You'll have to look at the Help for your operating system to see where you need to save the picture for a screensaver.

Hope this helps you.

Thanks a lot, Jean. I hadn't even noticed the link at the bottom for the full screen picture. I followed your directions and it works fine. Now I will be able to make a great screen saver. I will mix some of your beautiful photos in with my own personalized ones (the "I-was-there" type).

Have you a favorite kind of camera for travel photos such as these? I am in the midst of choosing a new digital and travel shots are high on my list of priorities, so I'd appreciate any comments you might make. Susan

There was a long thread earlier this year about digital cameras and what people were recommending. You might want to do a search for that thread. I use a Kodak DX4330, which is several years old. There are newer cameras since I got this one, but it takes such good pictures I hate to make a change.

Glad you were able to create your screensaver.

Hi Jean!

Your photos are very lovely! Because my family is from Estonia I focused more on your photos from Tallinn than from the other ports. You really did an excellent job!

From the accuracy of your captions I figured you were either some kind of writer, Estonian, or had Estonian friends. ;)

• 1 month later...

Jean, did you post a review for your cruise? If so, could you please post a link to it? I am interested in taking the same cruise next summer, and would like to gather as much information about excursions/ or what to see on your own (or with a private tour). Thanks

Que Sarah Sarah . . . we did a three-day prestay in London staying at The Rubens at the Palace (across from Buckingham Palace). We hired a van with several others from the CC board for the trip to Harwich. You will love the Jewel and this itinerary. Here's a link to my report (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=208309). It may help you in planning your ports of call. Thank you for your nice comments on my pictures.

Thanks for your reply .. Some of the people on our thread are looking to hire a van and driver to bring them to Harwich and stay at hotel pre cruise . Can you remember who you hired your van from .

I haven't looked at your photo's of Tallinn yet .Our youngest son went to Tallinn this year for a holiday ... he thought it was wonderful place .

Thanks again ... I will read your review asap .

Archived