Embarkation time NYC

englishmum

Please could someone tell me the best time to get to the port for embarkation.I am from the UK but will be staying in New York for 5 nights prior to the cruise.How long does it take by taxi from midtown Manhattan?How much is the taxi fare and how much do I tip the driver?

Grace.

Grace...You can embark starting at 1:00 pm...I personally like to go first thing so I have time to check out the ship before sailing, look at the cabin...etc. Not sure on the taxi info but I don't think it's far...if you don't get another answer to this I'll check it out with my husband (New York City native) and let you know! LuAnn

Grace-

I was on the eastbound crossing from NYC on July 5th. Although I've started gathering my thoughts for a "hints, tips, reflections" type of thing, I haven't done it yet. Embarkation was one of the things I planned to share some hints about... so here is a bit of a preview and an answer to your questions:

-The pier is in midtown Manhattan at 52nd Street. Depending on where your hotel is located in midtown, it should be a short ride. Now I am GUESSing the fare would be somewhere around $7-$10. I tend to be a generous tipper, especially if they help you with luggage. I suppose a dollar a bag and a 20% tip would be good.

-I disagree with previous poster and suggest you arrive to the pier at 11am. We were assigned a 1pm embarkation time, but I learned on these wonderful boards that you could get there earlier. I'm so glad we got there early! They need to assign staggered embarkation times because it's such a huge ship, but they do not check or enforce any specific embarkation time. We got there at 11am and there were about 75 people waiting in chairs who'd gotten there earlier. We filled out a form and at 11:25 they started to allow us to "check in" at the cashiers where you show your passports, have your photo taken and give a credit card for your room key. There was about a 15 minute wait again in an area with chairs to sit, and a coffee/tea/oj table. There was another table with all of the "alternative dining" restaurants (Todd English, etc.) menus set up, two gentlemen from the ship in their fancy chef hats and a computer to enable one to make a reservation before embarking at one of the restaurants. I went ahead and made a few reservations for our family. We were allowed onto the ship a few minutes before noon.

I am so glad we got there early because:

(1) I was able to change our seating time to the later seating. We had been told on the phone that there was no availability for late seating when we had called Cunard prior to our sailing. But being among the first on the ship, we went right to the dining room and had no problem switiching. (**If you have early seating, you will find that during the magical sail away from NYC, you will be passing the Statue of Liberty as your dinner starts! I recommend late seating, or at least, if you must have early seating, making a later alternative dining reservation for that first night. That way, you won't be torn away from the fabulous sailing away to go to your dinner.)

(2) I went then to the spa and booked appointments for formal night hair and a massage. Later that afternoon the spa counter was crowded and there was a long wait to book appointments.

(3) I was able to make those alternative dining reservations before embarking. By the way, we ended up cancelling those reservations and eating in Brittania all of the nights. But it had been on my mind to run to the Todd English restaurant and it saved me the running.

(4) We met our neighbors across the hallway before any luggage arrived and actually switched rooms with them! Our children were diagonally across the hall from us- something we couldn't change before the trip. These people were divided by my children's room- it's difficult to explain here, but it was a "win/win" situation for both families and something we might not have worked out if we were on the ship later...

(5) If you are interested in golf simulator, book this on the embarkation day. My husband waited until the next day and there was only one undesirable slot left for the whole cruise. It was for 9am on the last morning. Any morning slot at the end of the cruise is undesirable because, the time gets pushed ahead one hour earlier each day of the crossing. By the last day, early morning activities are sparcely attended as everyone is tired! 9am sort of feels like 4am...

So there is my very long answer to your short question! If I may answer any other little concerns, you may email me at JLinds@comcast.net and I'll try to help.

Enjoy the anticipation of your trip!

-Jill

Jill,thank you for taking the time to answer my question in such detail,this was precisely what I was looking for.I will certainly follow your instructions.Where do I tell the taxi driver to take me,or do they all know where the QM11 docks.

Have you any advice on how to get from JFK airport to midtown Manhattan,I assume I get a taxi,what is the cost likely to be?

Grace.

Grace-

I imagine that any taxi driver would know where the pier for the QM2 would be. That said, it's on the Hudson river, and I believe they need to approach from the cross street, 55th St.

Regarding your transfer from JFK to Manhattan, I have not done that myself. I'd recommend posting that question on this board.

-Jill

Archived