Thomson Merger

If Mein Shiff 1 and 2 came accross to Thomson (hopefully with more imaginative names) that would be a big improvement. We were docked at the same port as one of them about a year ago and I remember being impressed by it and wondering howcome it was so much better when Thomson and Tui are sister companies.

I would prefer it if both cruise lines remained separate because despite the seemingly endless British capacity for whingeing I still like the fact that the culture is not just British but it is a certain type of British culture too. However, if the two cruise lines were to merge there would be one positive side-effect and that is that it would no longer be feasible to put on a stand-up comic on the show team's night off. I like a good comedian but Thomson seem to be allergic to them. A good one sneaks past quality control now and again but most of them are pretty average and some are downright unpleasant and one regular is even racist. Well it seems I can whinge with the best of them. I suppose that makes me British too.

One last thought though, if the Mein Schiffs became part of the British fleet what would they be called? How about a 'name the new ship competition'. Who can come up with the best or perhaps funniest name?

I like a good comedian but Thomson seem to be allergic to them. A good one sneaks past quality control now and again but most of them are pretty average and some are downright unpleasant and one regular is even racist.

I couldn't have put it better myself. They seem to stick to using the same comedians over and over again, with us having seen the same (bad) one on all 3 of our last cruises with Thomson.

The media reports are that CTRIP have acquired MS1 and 2 once MS5 and 6 are launched, and are trying to acquire their half sister Century, which is currently supposed to be getting transferred to CDF.

The TUI CEO has denied the ships are headed for China and that the strategy is for growth.

The Chinese media reports look less than convincing I have to say.

What a lot of acronyms!

• 4 weeks later...
I see TUI Cruises has now announced further new builds, taking them up to Mein Schiff 8! Getting more likely that MS1 and 2 could go to Thomson, especially as the merger terms have now been agreed on this week. :)

Yes, saw that yesterday and had the same thought. Although it is now confirmed that Century has been sold to China, so still possible MS1 and 2 may follow.