Looking for Park and Cruise Cape Liberty

surrocruiser

Wondering if anyone has booked one and can tell me about it. Based on other posts, I have seen Newark airport hotels are not recommended due to not being the safest area. If that is the case, we definitely wouldn't want to leave a car parked there for 7 days. Are there any other hotels that will let us park a car for the week?

Wondering if anyone has booked one and can tell me about it. Based on other posts, I have seen Newark airport hotels are not recommended due to not being the safest area. If that is the case, we definitely wouldn't want to leave a car parked there for 7 days. Are there any other hotels that will let us park a car for the week?

Thousands of people stay in Newark Airport hotels every night and park their cars at the airport. It's a highly urban industrialized area and we recommend that folks be selective about where they stay.

The least expensive park/sleep that we recommend is through Trinityreservations.com at the Ramada Plaza. They quote prices tax included and they offer a regular park/sleep and a special park/sleep with Cruiseport transportation. They also offer Embassy Suites, which is the newest hotel at the airport.

Where are you driving from? Hampton Inn on Staten Island offers free parking and a free Cruiseport shuttle, but this is a less convenient choice if you're coming from the north or west.

Another strategy is to get a hotel about an hour or less from Bayonne and just pay the $133 to park at the port.

Edited by 138east

It is a group of us driving in mostly from Southwest Ohio. We had planned to stay at Courtyard Newark Liberty but I got a little nervous after reading some of the posts about the area and the proximity to the prison. (Unless I'm misunderstanding) Our plans are to arrive Friday evening and take the ferry to Ellis Island and do a little sight seeing for the day. If we could find a hotel that offered free parking, that was a bonus. I am open to any other suggestions though.

What is your sail date?

If you do a park sleep, you have to get to and from the port. How many people are you in total? How many cars and how many rooms and how many nights?

The prison is not a problem. It's actually an asset because random folks don't mess with that area. The more isolated the hotel, the better because there is no foot access and car access is more limited.

Most of the EWR area hotels are now charging for parking ...

We recommend CERTAIN EWR area hotels all the time..you have to be selective and not just pick one at random, nor pick one that we say to NOT choose...there are some that are basically just dumpy hotels and you want to avoid them....

Let us know # of people, dates, budget and we can help

Sail date is August 24, there will be 8 of us definitely, 4 couples with a possibility of 4 others (2 couples) joining us. As of now, we are thinking there will be at least 4 cars by the time we sail, possibly 5. Budget wise we were shooting for $150 per night for the room but would be willing to increase that a bit for an outstanding property or if there is parking for the week included.

Check out availability at the Hampton Inn on Staten Island. The rooms are usually around $159 per night plus the taxes. You can leave your cars in the parking lot for the entire cruise at no extra charge. They have a great breakfast included with the room and a free shuttle to and from the pier. We have used it twice and will be doing so again this August. The Shuttle is shared with the Hilton Garden Inn, nearby, and you have to contact the Hilton about one month out to set up the use of the shuttle.

The Hampton Inn on Staten Island is an excellent option, but there are other considerations.

It's a long drive from southwest Ohio to Bayonne. When you disembark on a Sunday morning, if you are parked at the pier, you can just get in your cars and go. Any park/sleep arrangement is going to require you to wait for some sort of shuttle transfer back to a hotel to get your cars. This could add an extra hour or more to your overall travel time.

If you've already looked at the Newark Courtyard and are happy with the price, I'd stick with that. The hotel has been refurbished within the last year. It is close to exit 14, which means it is one of the closest hotels to Cape Liberty and Liberty State Park to go to Ellis Island. It also has food service in the hotel. Many hotels have no restaurants, particularly the ones that offer free breakfast.

Sail date is August 24, there will be 8 of us definitely, 4 couples with a possibility of 4 others (2 couples) joining us. As of now, we are thinking there will be at least 4 cars by the time we sail, possibly 5. Budget wise we were shooting for $150 per night for the room but would be willing to increase that a bit for an outstanding property or if there is parking for the week included.

Based on the route you're taking, and if you're willing to park at the pier, you may want to stay around and hour away or so, perhaps in the Parsippany NJ area...more to choose from, nicer places, probably better rates, and an hour-ish from the pier...

You'd have more to choose from in terms of dining, and there is a plethora of places to shop if you've forgotten something or if you need wine or water or whatever...

On roomkey.com the Embassy Suites Newark Elizabeth is showing 152 (all these rates are without tax), the Country Inn is 101 and the Courtyard Elizabeth ( all these are on Glimcher Realty Way in the complex we often suggest) is showing 154.

Parking is an additional charge, probably around 11-14 bucks for the evening...

You could try getting a park & fly as well..

Actually the CY has a park n CRUISE showing, with 8 nights parking for 279 plus tax.....that does NOT include getting to the pier...

If you go to Marriott.com, put in dates, you'll see, when the rates come up, a box for ROOM PACKAGES...click there and scroll..

You could call Independent Driver and see what they'd charge to take all of you to the pier...

The Spring Hill Suites (which was redone in 2012 so it should look nice..) has a P & C package for 199, again no transfers but a deal...

That's a start.....I looked at roomkey.com (good place to search rates for MANY brands, without a lot of ads and other crap, and you book direct with the hotel.)

Also, I looked at marriott.com

HTH

Just to clarify - you're arriving Friday for a Sunday cruise, so you need 2 nights accommodations? On Sat you're planning to go to Ellis Island from Liberty State Park? You're also at least 8 and possibly 12 people?

You can certainly do a park/sleep and arrange shuttle transportation to the port, but I'd really think twice about doing that given your 10+ hour drive home. If you're uncomfortable leaving your car parked in Newark, then park it at the pier.

Whoops..I only checked one night...BUT still, you can use the suggestions and alter the dates..

Coffee...must have coffee...

With the number of people you have as well, I would call a couple places direct and see if they'd cut you a deal...No 800 numbers just the property, and ask for sales.

BTW skip the Parsippany idea in my other post, but the EWR area places are fine...

You all are the best! We are arriving on Friday for Sunday departure. I will definitely need to ask everyone how they feel about being away from the port for the drive home. I'm good with it, but not sure everyone will agree.

We have cruised twice out of Bayonne.

We were first time cruisers, and did it this way:

used trinityreservations.com

stayed at the Ramada Plaza, (right beside the prison-seriously a non issue)

used "independent driver" (call them and book a ride to and from, we paid 12 per person per way)

now, I have read that trinity now has all inclusives...

I also saw a sign in our lobby of a shuttle into NYC for sightseeing.

When we went, we took the train in... we found it very easy.

We drove from Ontario Canada, about 8 hours..

Enjoy your cruise :D

We have cruised twice out of Bayonne.

We were first time cruisers, and did it this way:

used trinityreservations.com

stayed at the Ramada Plaza, (right beside the prison-seriously a non issue)

used "independent driver" (call them and book a ride to and from, we paid 12 per person per way)

now, I have read that trinity now has all inclusives...

I also saw a sign in our lobby of a shuttle into NYC for sightseeing.

When we went, we took the train in... we found it very easy.

We drove from Ontario Canada, about 8 hours..

Enjoy your cruise :D

This is perfect! Did you feel comfortable leaving your car parked there?