Carnival- accessible vs. modified cabins

I have an active thread on the Carnival board, and someone referred me here...

In short, one of the people that I am traveling with on the Breeze recently had an accident and is in a wheelchair. I'm trying to help them figure out their cabin now.

I see from Carnival's site that they have accessible cabins, which are marked on the deck plans. I also see that they have modified cabins, which are not indicated on the plans. Does anyone know where the modified cabins are, and exactly what is modified?

Carnival and HAL both have "modified" and fully accessible cabins. The modified cabins are really designed for someone who can stand and walk but has limited ability. They usually do NOT have sufficient room to use a wheelchair around the room, nor into the bathroom. They may have a tub instead of a stall or roll-in shower. The fully accessible cabins have more floor space so you can get around within the room with a wheelchair, and have a level entry bathroom with a roll-in shower stall.

Just be aware that both of these classes of cabins often book up far in advance, and may not be available for this cruise. I hope that this person had trip insurance that may cover their air and/or cruise fare if this means they need to skip this cruise due to this.

I have an active thread on the Carnival board, and someone referred me here...

In short, one of the people that I am traveling with on the Breeze recently had an accident and is in a wheelchair. I'm trying to help them figure out their cabin now.

I see from Carnival's site that they have accessible cabins, which are marked on the deck plans. I also see that they have modified cabins, which are not indicated on the plans. Does anyone know where the modified cabins are, and exactly what is modified?

Actually whether or not a cabin is fully accessible or modified accessible is indicated on deckplans shown on Carnival's website.

The Universal Wheelchair Icon that pops up when first scrolling over the cabin number is only to denote that the cabin contains accessible features. You than must click on the actual room number to view the specific details of that cabin. If it's a Modified Cabin that information will be stated in the detail pop-up screen.

Edited by xxoocruiser

Actually whether or not a cabin is fully accessible or modified accessible is indicated on deckplans shown on Carnival's website.

The Universal Wheelchair Icon that pops up when first scrolling over the cabin number is only to denote that the cabin contains accessible features. You than must click on the actual room number to view the specific details of that cabin. If it's a Modified Cabin that information will be stated in the detail pop-up screen.

Thanks! I see that now. Wow- I am shocked that there are so few available. The Breeze actually only has two modified/accessible balcony cabins on the entire ship. I hope they don't have to give up their balcony.

Carnival and HAL both have "modified" and fully accessible cabins. The modified cabins are really designed for someone who can stand and walk but has limited ability. They usually do NOT have sufficient room to use a wheelchair around the room, nor into the bathroom. They may have a tub instead of a stall or roll-in shower. The fully accessible cabins have more floor space so you can get around within the room with a wheelchair, and have a level entry bathroom with a roll-in shower stall.

Just be aware that both of these classes of cabins often book up far in advance, and may not be available for this cruise. I hope that this person had trip insurance that may cover their air and/or cruise fare if this means they need to skip this cruise due to this.

They don't have trip insurance. The good news is that they have not yet booked airfare, and we are before final payment, so if they decide they need to cancel, they will only lose the $50 penalty under the ES fare.

If they have to give up their balcony, have them look at the Oceanview Spa cabins. Yes they are right at the front (a bit of a drawback for many) but 11203 and 11204 are huge, very accessible, great roll in shower and come with spa passes for 2.

Even if the cabins don't show online, call Carnival. Insist on speaking with Special services and if they say all accessible cabins are booked - push a little. They can go through their records to determine if an accessibility needed form has been completed. Carnival allows their cabins to be booked on a first come - first served policy and that includes accessible cabins (they show up online with the regular inventory).

Sometimes you have to be insistant that they move a non-accessible needing person because they are a little reluctant to rock the boat and move people around but it can be done.