Travel to/from Galveston NOS 6/22/14

Just off NOS 6/22 sailing. Family of 5 flying in from Ohio. Since travel to/from Galveston from those of us living outside of Texas seems to be a hot topic, here are my thoughts. We flew into Hobby Saturday evening and stayed at Drury Inn near airport. Hotel was in ok shape. Staff was very friendly. Location is iffy. Not surprised from reading reviews. Best advice from previous posts was to eat before leaving airport. There is nothing much around. Hotel served its purpose as a stopover for main event. After looking around the area, the Doubletree closer to the airport may have been a better choice.

We contracted with Galveston limo for transportation from hotel then back to airport in private van. Cost was 300 round trip plus tip for the 5 of us. Driver arrived 15 minutes before our schedule time on 9:30 and we were on our way to port.

We arrived at port at 10:15 and proceeded to wait in line outside until terminal opened for incoming guests at 10:30. As has been reported, the wait outside is without seats and limited shade. We were under cover and it was fine. We were through check in by 10:40 and seated waiting to board as departing passengers were finishing disembarkment. We were one of the first aboard around 11:15am. All in all very very smooth and easy process with none of the horror stories I have read previously.

Disembarkment was pretty smooth as well. We were group 19 (out of 28 total) and our estimated departure call was 9:45. Our group was called about 9:15. The terminal needs some signage and direction, but once we figured out where to go it was fast and easy. We did not use a porter as they were plentiful but busy. A nice employee (and maybe one of two there to help?) directed us to the "non porter" line and off we went. Through customs by 9:55. Outside the terminal is very hectic and needs a good organizer. No problems though and we were picked up promptly off we went.

Shoot any questions. We also had the drink package on board and can answer those as well!

• 1 year later...
Just off NOS 6/22 sailing. Family of 5 flying in from Ohio. Since travel to/from Galveston from those of us living outside of Texas seems to be a hot topic, here are my thoughts. We flew into Hobby Saturday evening and stayed at Drury Inn near airport. Hotel was in ok shape. Staff was very friendly. Location is iffy. Not surprised from reading reviews. Best advice from previous posts was to eat before leaving airport. There is nothing much around. Hotel served its purpose as a stopover for main event. After looking around the area, the Doubletree closer to the airport may have been a better choice.

We contracted with Galveston limo for transportation from hotel then back to airport in private van. Cost was 300 round trip plus tip for the 5 of us. Driver arrived 15 minutes before our schedule time on 9:30 and we were on our way to port.

We arrived at port at 10:15 and proceeded to wait in line outside until terminal opened for incoming guests at 10:30. As has been reported, the wait outside is without seats and limited shade. We were under cover and it was fine. We were through check in by 10:40 and seated waiting to board as departing passengers were finishing disembarkment. We were one of the first aboard around 11:15am. All in all very very smooth and easy process with none of the horror stories I have read previously.

Disembarkment was pretty smooth as well. We were group 19 (out of 28 total) and our estimated departure call was 9:45. Our group was called about 9:15. The terminal needs some signage and direction, but once we figured out where to go it was fast and easy. We did not use a porter as they were plentiful but busy. A nice employee (and maybe one of two there to help?) directed us to the "non porter" line and off we went. Through customs by 9:55. Outside the terminal is very hectic and needs a good organizer. No problems though and we were picked up promptly off we went.

Shoot any questions. We also had the drink package on board and can answer those as well!

Just came across your post as I am combing CC for any reviews/info regarding Galveston Limousine. I just spoke with them and am considering booking them for round-trip services from IAH to Galveston Cruise Terminal. Did you use Galveston Limo for your return transportation as well? Would you recommend them? Thank you so much!

Just came across your post as I am combing CC for any reviews/info regarding Galveston Limousine. I just spoke with them and am considering booking them for round-trip services from IAH to Galveston Cruise Terminal. Did you use Galveston Limo for your return transportation as well? Would you recommend them? Thank you so much!

I got quotes from several different companies in the area for our transportation from IAH to the port, and all were comparable -- in the end, we chose Cool Tours because of the great reviews, and if you are traveling with a group, I would highly recommend them. They arrived early for all of our pick ups, and communications throughout were great!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app