Taking baby on Cunard

KPNut

Partial quote

That's pretty amazing. Infants, babies and children cry, sometimes at the most unexpected occasions. When they cry can't be regulated or predicted, whether they are on land or at sea, in a restaurant, theater, or an otherwise quiet funeral service where they can cry louder than any adult mourner. But that's only my observation.

There have always been a few infants and toddlers on every ship we have sailed on and never have DH or I heard one of these wee creatures produce any loud crying…

I think often what is termed a "well-behaved child" is really excellent parenting at work: making sure there is no hunger, wet-diaper, overstimulation, or missed nap. I think crying can, to a large extent, be predicted and, more often than not, avoidable.

Took my son when he was 18months on Qm2 and will be taking him and his new sister to Amsterdam on the QE over Christmas.

Reason why we are going again (son will have his 4th birthday on board and Lottie will be 18 months) is that my son was thoroughly spoilt by the staff on board. Enjoy it- ignore the comments that some people have made to you.

Hello!

Well, first of all… I love KP Nuts, especially the honey roast ones… So lovely and addictive… Before you know it, the bag is empty!

Secondly, I hope you have a wonderful trip! :) Not that I have children myself, but I know how difficult and tiring it can be having a new addition to the family.

By all means, take advantage of all the facilities onboard, and take all offers of assistance given. High chairs, coo-ing onlookers, doting grandparents willing to entertain whilst you sup a drink. If your little one is as well behaved and happy as you say (and, come on, at the end of the say, he is a 9 month old little boy, you can't exactly "tell" him what to do…) I am sure he will be a hit with all. I am sure that there will be the ones who would prefer that you remain locked up in your cabin all day every day, and let out for an hour to stretch your legs. But, ignore them and I am sure you will have a lovely time.

I work in the travel industry and frequently help parents when they bring their little bundles onboard my aircraft. I will often hold them for mum, especially if travelling alone, so she can nip to the loo, or quickly eat something. In the middle of the night, half way across the atlantic, I have sat in the galley with a 7 month old little girl, fast asleep in my arms, so her mum could have something to eat… Not everyone hates children, and I am sure you will be just fine.

Have a great time, and enjoy the ship, ALL of it.

T5

:)

thank you T5 for taking time to reply. I appreciate it. I hope I board your aircraft one day ;)

I've seen at least a few babies and toddlers on every cruise ship on which I've ever sailed. I can't remember ever hearing a fussy child crying on any ship. The setting and parade of passengers seem to be entertaining for small children.

When my children were young, I knew when they needed needed food, or a nap, and when they needed needed stimulation or quiet time. Mothers know these things and strategize accordingly. I'm sure that this applies to you as well.

I think Britannia will work fine for your family most nights. If you anticipate a fussy dinner hour, you could easily decide to eat in the buffet or order from room service one night. You aren't locked into any one dinner venue and you can change your mind at the last minute.

If baby gets fussy before dessert in Britannia, you could enjoy dinner there, then walk with the stroller and end up having dessert in the buffet. You will have options which you can play by ear, depending on the situation.

If baby is quiet and not disturbed by the dark, you and your husband should be able to attend shows at the theater. One of my children slept in the cinema--the other cried. Every child is different and every mother learns how her child will react and parents accordingly….

I think a baby sleeping in stroller would not be a problem in one of the bars from my perspective (I'm from the US) but I have no idea whether Cunard would have a rule against such a thing---or if they would enforce such a rule.

BTW, welcome to Cruise Critic. Please post your experience after your voyage so that others may learn from you. (And, try searching past Cruise Critic posts to see if other mothers have posted any tips regarding sailing with an infant).

Happy Happy Sailing!

thanks Jimmybean for your detailed reply to my query. People like you are a godsend. We are very nervous about our first cruise and it's lovely to get an insight in what to expect and know we are not alone! I will definitely post once we return :)

Took my son when he was 18months on Qm2 and will be taking him and his new sister to Amsterdam on the QE over Christmas.

Reason why we are going again (son will have his 4th birthday on board and Lottie will be 18 months) is that my son was thoroughly spoilt by the staff on board. Enjoy it- ignore the comments that some people have made to you.

Wonderful to hear! Enjoy your Christmas trip - I am sure he'll be spoilt rotten :)

thank you T5 for taking time to reply. I appreciate it. I hope I board your aircraft one day ;)

Best make it snappy! :D

I love helping parents with their little ones… I think I am getting broody, which is a tad worrying… :-/

Edited by T5LHR

Dear KPNut,

On our very first cruise--a Princess ship in the Caribbean---I overheard another passenger, a young woman pushing a stroller, explaining earnestly to her husband, "You don't understand. This is wonderful. I don't have to worry about where we will have dinner--where we will sleep tonight. It's so EASY!"

I think that is the best summary I have ever heard about cruising.

It IS easy!

Relax. You will have a great time.

Realize the ship has supplies that will simplify child care. Help yourself to pool towels, so you can occasionally put your son down on the floor on a clean surface (if such a floor situation would make good sense in terms of safety). If your steward neglects to put pool towels in your room, send your husband up to the pool on deck 12 to get some.

...If you need a banana for your son's afternoon snack (when none are out at the buffet) just ask any staff member at the buffet to go to the kitchen and get one for you. Staff really will be helpful. Don't be afraid to ask.

I typically have to ask for cookies for my husband at the buffet---it is not a bother for staff. They are there to make your cruise enjoyable. For my husband, this means having an occasional cookie ; )

Take photos! Traveling by ship becomes a tradition. Lovely to have memories recorded from the beginning. Don't hesitate to ask fellow passengers to snap shots of the three of you together. I think you will find most folks traveling by ship will be friendly.

Traveling isn't a reason to feel apologetic about motherhood. Being a mother is the most important (and most challenging) job on earth. You are a good mother, asking questions so you will know how best to care for you son in a different setting.

Remember: there isn't a soul who will be on the ship who wasn't, at one time, a baby himself : ) Pity the ones who didn't have a mother like you.

There have always been a few infants and toddlers on every ship we have sailed on and never have DH or I heard one of these wee creatures produce any loud crying…

I think often what is termed a "well-behaved child" is really excellent parenting at work: making sure there is no hunger, wet-diaper, overstimulation, or missed nap. I think crying can, to a large extent, be predicted and, more often than not, avoidable.

Just to come to the defense of parents: even the best parents have babies who cry - sometimes loudly for reasons that can't be predicted or controlled. Most often, no one is at fault - it's just a childs natural development.

The MDR at dinner, with all the noise from hundreds of passengers in a confined space, clanging dishes, and different food scents combined with the motion of a ship at sea can result in "over stimulation" for a baby. So I wouldn't blame a baby for reacting to such an environment.

From my personal experience as an adult, I disagree that "crying can, to a large extent, be predicted and, more often than not, avoidable". That, I think is an unrealistic expectation for any of us at any age - unless our emotions have been so restrained from infancy.

Regards,

Salacia

Edited by Salacia

Just to come to the defense of parents: even the best parents have babies who cry - sometimes loudly for reasons that can't be predicted or controlled. Most often, no one is at fault - it's just a childs natural development.

The MDR at dinner, with all the noise from hundreds of passengers in a confined space, clanging dishes, and different food scents combined with the motion of a ship at sea can result in "over stimulation" for a baby. So I wouldn't blame a baby for reacting to such an environment.

From my personal experience as an adult, I disagree that "crying can, to a large extent, be predicted and, more often than not, avoidable". That, I think is an unrealistic expectation for any of us at any age - unless our emotions have been so restrained from infancy.

Regards,

Salacia

You seem determined that the OP shouldn't bring this poor child on board, your posts have been nothing other than negative. Maybe you don't like babies, maybe you don't like children. Who knows? Your posts are usually so positive :) and so helpful :) on all matters, it's quite disconcerting to see you react this way.

We've seen lots of little tots on our trips as well. I would absolutely suggest that the little one arrive and stay in their personal buggie. I'm only going by personal observation, but they seem much more content in their own little space rather than the provided wooden highchair. And they can arrive with their favorite amenities. :) Have a wonderful trip.

Got to be honest, have never seen more than a "handful" of babies/toddlers on summer cruises on the QV or QE, usually plenty of school age. One August voyage sticks in my mind, when a young girl (under 2 yrs at a guess) whose parents allowed her to roam around in the Golden Lion, climbing on the stage, tugging peoples clothes etc - I can assure you this did not go down well, but worse was when she was running around the ballroom in her nappy - I am a Mum, but out of respect for other guests I would certainly ensure my child stayed in a pushchair in these venues and was clothed! If my child had a major crying episode I would also be the first to leave the theatre/restaurants etc to primarily comfort them and avoid the "glares". I hope we all have a pleasant voyage on Victoria which will soon be upon us, sometimes the OAP's are the ones who are the biggest pain! ouch !! I am sure it will be a great trip, Vicky is fabulous :)

Edited by maitai999

I hope we all have a pleasant voyage on Victoria which will soon be upon us, sometimes the OAP's are the ones who are the biggest pain! ouch !! I am sure it will be a great trip, Vicky is fabulous :)

Seems to me that if everyone just simply followed decorum...traveling would be a lot more pleasant. But that's not today's world. I think that sometimes the OAP's are simply rebelling against what they are forced and expected to endure. :)