advice on airfare

steelcity5044

Booked on Zuiderdam for Jan 28th. Just found airfare for $270 total for 2 people roundtrip with direct flights from pittsburgh to FLL. Would you book this far out? What happens if cruise cancelled? What about if airline goes under? Any advice is helpful. Just seems like too good an offer to pass up. it is on USA3000. Does anyone know anything about this airline? Anyone got any promo codes?

Thanks

I've never heard of USA3000... is it regional?

We often book airfare months in advance, sometimes those are the best deals. I don't think 6 - 7 months is too far away... We make sure we have travel insurance to cover missed flights or airlines "going under".

We booked our air to Europe for our November cruise on the Noordam in February. RT Denver to Rome and Lisbon to Denver, $526pp on British Airways. The same flights are now going for $895.

I would find out more about the airline first... it's not US Air?

Noordam 1984

Veendam 1999

Amsterdam 2000

Noordam 2001

Statendam 2001

Noordam 2002

Zuiderdam 2003

Maasdam 2004.

Noordam 2004

Have to wonder if this is an offspring of the old Canada3000 charter company that used to fly up here. icon_confused.gif

Alison

MS Zuiderdam

03/04 Eastern Caribbean

07/04 Western Caribbean

03/05 Eastern Caribbean

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;7;10;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 MS Zuiderdam

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=228b22&cdt=2005;3;12;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

2005 March Break Zuiderdam Cruise

i had booked my airfare for a september cruise in february with an airline i have never used Cathay pacific and in checking on boards found it to be a good airline and the price was wonderful so the only ? i had was would they apply a added fee since fuel has arisen so much in speaking to the airline i was informed not yet but i keep checking at least 3 times a month till the cruise i don't want to be surprised at the gate

icon_wink.gif Airfares

We already have booked our air fares for our Jan back-to-back cruises and Feb/Mar back-to-back cruises.

We looked at USA 3000 but right now they only operate certain days of the week which didn't fit into our schedule. Maybe in a year or so they will offer flights everyday of the week.

As it is we are booked on US Airways.

icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Dear Steelcity,

What a great price for airfare. I don't think that you are booking too far ahead..just don't forget insurance. Also I strongly suggest when flying during the winter to book your flight the day before your cruise is to depart, thus allowing extra time in case of flight delay due to bad weather. It will also give you a day to relax in warm weather before meeting your ship.

Enjoy your cruise

Unless it's a great price, I don't think it's a good idea to book air more than 8 - 10 weeks out.

Too often schedules are changed, both airline and cruise ships (see Dawn Princess for the current example). You may want to fly in the day before. In that case air schedule changes, which occur frequently (especially with startup airlines), won't disrupt you. But you'll probably schedule your return same day as end of cruise. Of course, if you purchase a refundable air ticket, there's no problem. But that's unlikely if you're looking for bargain fares.

Insurance may cover penalties and fees, but since we don't have "existing" medical conditions,we don't purchase trip coverage until final payment date. Why would you, either?

I'm not trying to be argumentative, just suggesting you consider all options.

1957-USS General A.E. Anderson, Tokyo to San Francisco; 1999-Norwegian Sea, W. Carib; 1999-RVI, Europe; 2000-Mercury, W. Carib; 2000-Volendam, S. Carib; 2001-Viking Star, Danube River; 2001-Veendam, E. Carib; 2002 B2B- Veendam, Alaska; 2003 B2B-Zuiderdam, W/E Carib; Mar 2004-Maasdam, E Carib; 26 Nov 2005 Veendam, S Carib

Stevesan,

Airfare specials come and go. I just find that if I wait until 8 - 10 weeks out I often can't find the same specials that were available previously.

1/1990 - RCCL Song of America

4/13/2003 - Carnival Inspiration

10/30/2004 - Maasdam

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0924ff&cdt=2004;10;30;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0400

Till sailing on the Maasdam

I agree. I'd rather get a lower price - we always find lower pricing than HAL's air add-on. Twice we did HAL's air, and boy what a mess! The craziest flights and itineraries... not worth it at all, IMO.

We find the best deals for air are those booked the earliest. If the cruise is cancelled or changed, I'd rather pay $100 change fee than $300 - $400 higher airfare.

I know other travelers who say they get the best deals at the last minute. I guess I'm just too nervous to wait that long...

Noordam 1984

Veendam 1999

Amsterdam 2000

Noordam 2001

Statendam 2001

Noordam 2002

Zuiderdam 2003

Maasdam 2004.

Noordam 2004

We always fly in day before so not worried about delays but do fly out day of debarkation. Primary worry was airline folding and cruise being cancelled, though we would go down on those dates anyways but would take another cruise or just stay at hotel and enjoy the area.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Stevesan,

Airfare specials come and go. I just find that if I wait until 8 - 10 weeks out I often can't find the same specials that were available previously.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't believe I disagreed with your thesis:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Unless it's a great price, I don't think it's a good idea to book air more than 8 - 10 weeks out.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

1957-USS General A.E. Anderson, Tokyo to San Francisco; 1999-Norwegian Sea, W. Carib; 1999-RVI, Europe; 2000-Mercury, W. Carib; 2000-Volendam, S. Carib; 2001-Viking Star, Danube River; 2001-Veendam, E. Carib; 2002 B2B- Veendam, Alaska; 2003 B2B-Zuiderdam, W/E Carib; Mar 2004-Maasdam, E Carib; 26 Nov 2005 Veendam, S Carib

Be aware that USA3000 doesn't have ticketing agreements with any of the majors so if there is a problem and the flight is canceled, you are out of luck whereas if you book say on Delta and they cancel, they can protect you on American or another major. Just food for thought when you book on a low cost carrier.

Husbands are like pancakes, you have to throw the first one out.

Archived