Clam Shell Question -

cruisin'sz

Can you set the clam shells up anywhere or are they stationary? How does it work when you reserve one? Do you pick it up and place it somewhere or is one reserved for you somewhere on the beach? I have friends renting a cabana and would like to set up my clam shell near them.

Clam shells are not picked up by the passenger who rented one from what I can tell. Some of the people who work at HMC are the ones who set them up and I guess you could ask them if they could set it up close to the cabana you are talking about. I have never rented one so can't say for certain.

Can you request a particular clamshell?

Last year I did. Sage, another CC'er had rented a cabana and invited me to join her family. Since I had already reserved my clamshell, I went and requested the one right next to her cabana. So when I arrived at the island, I told them my request and they let me have it.

How do you find out the numbers of the clamshells?

I did not tell them the number. We walked down the beach until we found the one I wanted. There was only one ship in that day and it was cool and windy, so not too many folks were out on the beach.

We reserved a claim shell and by the time we arrived we were down pretty far.It is a first come first serve on location as far as I saw. I did not really like it,it was really hot inside it.We finnaly raised the back up to let some air in but it was really stuffy.

What is the rental fee for the "clam shell" and can anyone explain to me what exactly it is? Do two people fit comfortably? Is it just like a tarp over your lounge chairs?

I generally like the sun, not the shade. We'll be at HMC early December. Will the weather be pleasant enough then that we won't need a clam shell, or will it be so hot we'll be looking for shade? If we wander off for a while for lunch, snorkeling, etc., will our clam shell still be available for us the entire day, or if it looks unused will someone else claim it?

Thanks.

Currently, the clam shells are $9.

It is a shell shaped canvas tent. Think like park band shells. Yes, it's a tarp, but not like the plastic blue picnic shades. It covers two lounge chairs and the shell as well as chairs are yours for the day.

However, when the ship leaves, they expect you to give it up. They won't let you stay there forever. (I keep trying)

I have been to HMC several times in early December and the weather ranged from hot and sunny to cool and windy. Weather is a crap-shoot.

When ever possible, I get a shell, mainly to have a place to park my junk. If I want sun, I drag the chair out. If I want shade, I pull it back in. If I want a drink, I toddle to the bar and get one.

What is the rental fee for the "clam shell" and can anyone explain to me what exactly it is? Do two people fit comfortably? Is it just like a tarp over your lounge chairs?

I generally like the sun, not the shade. We'll be at HMC early December. Will the weather be pleasant enough then that we won't need a clam shell, or will it be so hot we'll be looking for shade? If we wander off for a while for lunch, snorkeling, etc., will our clam shell still be available for us the entire day, or if it looks unused will someone else claim it?

Thanks.

Thanks.

Here is what a clam shell looks like, no one will use it as its not set up with a bar that staff puts in, it will be your own space :)

click here

Also click on my photos link below and look ij the HMC alblum and you will see alot :)

The price is $9.00. I just tried to reserve two of them for our March cruise but was told it was too early. Our cruise last year missed HMC and I am anxious to see it for the first time. When they canceled HMC last year they credited our account with the rental fee for the clamshell that we didn't get to see!

Great pictures Ziggy! So is that a little chapel I see? Do they have a renew your vows package or something at HMC (looks like you or someone you knew may have partook in this?). How much does that cost, what all do you get, and how do you book it?

As far as the clam shells... Do we need to book these on-line ahead of time, similar to an excursion, or can we book once on board the ship, or once at HMC?

Great pictures Ziggy! So is that a little chapel I see? Do they have a renew your vows package or something at HMC (looks like you or someone you knew may have partook in this?). How much does that cost, what all do you get, and how do you book it?
Thanks!

Yes, it is a little Bahamian chapel, when you book the regular ROV package just tell them you want your ceremony on HMC, it didnt cost anything extra :) We wanted to do it in a less formal setting and we love the beach!

Renewal of Vows Package ($129.00 USD)

Recapture the moment you first said "I do" with a romantic Renewal of Vows package, including flowers in your stateroom upon arrival, an invitation to the Renewal of Vows ceremony which includes fancy hors d'oeuvres and select beverages, a certificate presented by the ship's Captain, dinner one evening in the Pinnacle Grill and a photograph with photo album. (Additional guests may be invited to your ceremony for an additional per-person fee of $12.50 USD).

As far as the clam shells... Do we need to book these on-line ahead of time, similar to an excursion, or can we book once on board the ship, or once at HMC?
Book right away, dont wait too long as they sell out, especially if 2 ships are there at the same time :)

Ziggy:

The pictures where you are being served champagne in the ocean: Was that part of the Renewal of Vows ceremony, or was it the butler service you booked with your cabana? I don't think we'll book a cabana as we really wouldn't get that much use out of it. We'll probably spend most of our time in the water or on the sand, but I am considering a clam shell.

Also, the pictures of the ceremony: Did you take your camera and ask someone from the crew at the ceremony to take pictures, or did you have friends/family with you to take pictures? We are travelling by ourselves, but pictures of the ceremony on my own camera sound fun. If I take my digital camera over to HMC, and we have a clam shell, do you think it is safe to leave it in my beachbag inside the clam shell at HMC, or are there lockers or anything over there that would be secure?

Thanks again -- I really never even thought about doing a renewal of vows, but this looks really nice.

Ziggy:

The pictures where you are being served champagne in the ocean: Was that part of the Renewal of Vows ceremony, or was it the butler service you booked with your cabana? I don't think we'll book a cabana as we really wouldn't get that much use out of it. We'll probably spend most of our time in the water or on the sand, but I am considering a clam shell.

Being served champagne in the ocean was HALs photographers roaming the beach taking pictures, nothing more than that. My DH stayed in the cabana alot but I stayed in the water alot hehehe. Your belongings should be fine in your clam shell, I'm not sure but someone mentioned that their were lockers on HMC, I never saw them nor did I look for them :)

Also, the pictures of the ceremony: Did you take your camera and ask someone from the crew at the ceremony to take pictures, or did you have friends/family with you to take pictures?

We took out Camera and had met 2 pax on our cruise that we invited to share our cabana with, they came to the ceremony and took pictures for us, we didnt have to pay for them either LOL. However HAL staff were willing to take pictures and did for one other couple who did the ceremony with us :) We loved the ceremony and will never forget it just like our wedding 29 years ago :)

Archived