Problem with pre-cruise hotel through NCL. Anyone else?

Hi - This is my first posting having enjoyed 2 previous cruises with NCL and looking forward to the Jewel 18th September to New England & Canada.

I have been having problems with NCL with the pre cruise Hotel booking. First they confirm staying at the New York Helmsley (5*) for 3 nights and then one week after we paid the full cost their confirmation letter stated the Holiday Inn Mid Town (3*). There was no official notification, just a note on the confirmation slip. I spoke to NCL in London who said they had had lots of calls from UK customers on the same subject BUT Miami had allocated hotels and they could not change me and my party. I am of course disappointed as we booked the cruise on 2nd November 2004 and our expectation was set by the original contract letter from NCL dated 17th November 2004.

I see others have had problems with pre and post cruise accommodation. Our day room accomodation in Miami last year had a lot to be desired but for one day that was ok. I have previously stayed (some years ago!) at the Holiday Inn Mid Town and was not overly enthusiastic about it, so for three days that may get my holiday of to a bad start!! - Has anyone else come across this problem?

Well so far my hotel bookings for my December Crown cruise haven't been altered from what was agreed at time of booking back in June, both hotels are B&B for 2 nights at Santiago and Buenos Aires Sheraton's. My TA has warned me that the hotels could change if number of guests staying for the cruise are such that it would be deemed too expensive to cater for everyone in such hotels, which being an ex coach operator who had to juggle hotels alot, I can understand fully.

I spose its the same as the missed ports thing, they have the right to change itineraries so the same should be expected for hotels too. I, for one, though wouldn't let it spoil the holiday as you will be out and about most of the daytime and evening and only sleeping in the hotelroom. So if my hotels were to change I wouldn't be too concerned, just as long as I have a bed to sleep in and a roof over my head, I'm happy. The cruise/fly/stay package was put together by NCL and so far I am one very happy cruiser :)

I cannot coment on the changes that NCL made for you. There must have been a reason of course. However, I surely hope that they are not charging the same amount for the Holiday Inn as you would have paid for the Helmsley.The difference between the two is like going from a Rolls Royce to a Volkswagen so make sure if they have indeed assigned you to the Holiday Inn that you get some sort of a lower cost for the hotel they assigned you to.;)

When we booked our March '06 cruise on board the Sun this year, the computer would not take our request for pre and post nights at the Sheraton Towers. Later my TA said she was told that was because the contract runs out in November this year and they haven't renewed as of yet. Don't know what will happen, but she said she would keep trying. But I would certainly try to get some kind of refund. The Hemsley is not offered on their US website, just the Sheraton and Holiday Inn, but the HI is 20 dollars/night cheaper than Sheraton.

Wow... sounds like some sort of screwup. Does anything in their literature say that the reservations are "subject to change" ?

Personally, I never book pre or post hotels through NCL, nor their airfare. I find I can manage both just fine on my own, with alot less screwups and/or aggravation.

Archived