QM2 not up to the standards presented

Nclbella

Thank you for your post. My DW and I regularly 'chat with staff' and have gotten to know many dinning stewards, wine stewards and a few cabin stewards rather well over the years. By and large they are charming, well educated and interesting people worthy of respect.

I find it offensive when some passengers (like the one you mentioned) regard them as lowly servants.

I completely agree with you

I try not to judge a ship purely by the quality of its buffet (which is always the lowest level dining out of numerous restaurants on board) and the quality of the deck chairs. There's so much more to a ship than linen and upholstery.

I'll elaborate further in due course when I publish my recent QM2 and QE trip reports.

But I will say this (and I have high standards): I had an absolute blast (yet again) on two of the most beautiful ships afloat. Already looking forward to booking what I hope will be 3 segments totalling 26 nights in 2015.

Seriously, what floats your boat does not have to float mine......

We were promised a voyage of impeccable surroundings, and service. The service was great, the surroundings not so.

When I am looking to relax outside, how is a deck chair not important? I want comfort. Not plastic rusted chairs....so yeah, linen and upholstery matter to me.

And that is why i said that QM 2 did not live up to its standards presented was posted.

I hav learnt over the years to read these boards over the years and now I do it with great humour:).

I think people should be allowed to post there thought on ships, the food , the buffet, cabins etc, its there cruise, its the ship they wanted to try, its there thoughts, sadly though whenever I look I can the the same old same poeple rushing like children to defend the ship and company, the same old same like children stand up and fight to heilt, in the past this would have caused upset of the highest level something like play ground sulking, so its best in many ways never to run down the Cunard ship or criticise anything then even if it was true.

some of the same old have been on many voyages, we must say voyages and not cruises, some think they have been on a few more than they really have and become the expert on the ships, some can even tell you name of all the rivits in the building, but often the end results is a an almost rude sarcastic snobbery in the answers.

I have sailed on quite a few ships, many cunard, and I like them very much, i like the formality of cunard, there are other ships out and trust be they offer better cabins, better beds, better room service and better food, sadly these other ships glitter in brass and neon and upset the real cunarder, well not all because many of us who take several cruises a year book to go with them.

I have seen many changed since I started with cunard, food is not as good, service is not a good and can vary a lot with some cruises, I have sailed on MSC and RCL and there service beats cunard a lot and im happy to rebook with them again,

so why not allow people to have never cruised, cruised with other line to come and say what they think with the back lash, the words often appear, were you on the same cruise as me, well yes, they were on it, they saw something they didnt like, it maybe wrong in your eyes or just theres, but accept that some people just dont like cunard, some dont like p&p, NCL or RCL.

There was a time when some of the same old same old left and this board was amazing, there return has often brouhght back the bitter back lashing again, thank good not as they were.

lets all enjoy the ships, the ship we are going on or just back from.:)

Now, many wont agree, but I hope some of the new comers to cunard will ,or lord help me its my turn for the lash,

Bravo, very well said!

Pot, kettle, black.

Fair points all the same, but I think part of the problem is that most often those who come to criticise make really ridiculous arguments, or are so unreasonable, or lack any substantive evidence.

If someone is going to absolutely condemn the ship like the OP has then I personally expect more detail and reasons than given.

Too often the negative reviews on here read like the 'terrible' complaints against hotels on a very popular travel review website. I don't take much stock in them, but I will counter what I see to be unfair criticism or inaccurate statements.

QM2 isn't perfect (I don't think perfection exists anyway) and there are things I criticise about it. But to condemn it in the way the OP has done is purely ludicrous. If you can't find one tiny positive even in the worst situation then I think that says a lot more about the person than the subject of criticism.

Now, back to writing my QM2 Grills report (there are criticism amidst the positives) and my QE trip report.

Looking forward to your GRILLS report. :)

I am the OP, so where did I CONDEMN the ship? I didn't find a tiny positive? I said service was good and that TE. Restaurant was great, service and food.

Oh, but I was a lowly rower.....to your GRILLS.......

i am the op, so where did i condemn the ship? I didn't find a tiny positive?
we are just off the qm 2 this morning, and it is not what we expected.

Very disappointed. The food in the buffet is completely like a bad cafeteria. Workers handed us plastic trays with paper napkins and paper packaged salt and pepper.

The buffet is also very ric-rac, small cramped areas and old furniture.

Outside are stacked plastic lightweight chairs.

Not to mention the broken wooden chairs that fall apart if you move them.

Half of the deck 8 has nice wooden loungers with cushions, the other half has cheap rusted white and green chairs. Carnival at its best? Probably......

In the end if one wants to have a presence, it is only as good as what is presented. In other words, telling all to dress up, and have mediocre surroundings does not fit the bill.

Extremely disappointed in the cruise, and the line as a whole.

also, the dining room did not have the service it upheld.

Because of other passengers that told us their reviews, we did not go.

We were told no one refilled the water, no one asked for drinks, and it took forever between courses......

We went to te every night. Good, pricey and sometimes too rich tasting.

Not enough choices on the boat for food.

They only had the american bistro as the alt dining venue........each night.

Edited by pepperrn

I think we should respect the views of the OP as that was her personal experience and should indeed be admired for taking the time to share.

We don't all place the QM2 on a pedestal even though she is a magnificent ship....sadly things change and sometimes not for the better.

The true Cunard experience went away with the QE2....but this is only my personal opinion.

Like most things in life....some are good and some not so good. I have cruised and crossed on QM2 and again, personally prefer the crossings.

I hate KC with a passion, l also hate the location of the Grill Restaurants and the fact that the grill decks are not that exclusive these days because they are not policed....for want of a better word. This would never be an issue on QE2...in the days of John Duffy and Andrew Nelder and indeed the Warwick era. That ship reeked class...whichever accommodation was chosen.

We all have our own take on Cunard and cruising in general, one pays their money and takes their choice.

Judy

Well, I do not think that QM2 needs class. It's the people on the ship that make me missing the times when everybody new where they belonged to.

In this days people are proud of bad behavior and taking posession of things and rights of which they are not entiteled to and have not paid. Just to prove that the classes don't exist anymore. Money cannot buy class.

... ...

These are OPINIONS not condemnations.

But because I don't agree with the general public on this forum, anything I say will be picked apart. :rolleyes:

I find it funny that this is what you chose to respond to......how classy of you.

I think we should respect the views of the OP as that was her personal experience and should indeed be admired for taking the time to share.

We don't all place the QM2 on a pedestal even though she is a magnificent ship....sadly things change and sometimes not for the better.

The true Cunard experience went away with the QE2....but this is only my personal opinion.

Like most things in life....some are good and some not so good. I have cruised and crossed on QM2 and again, personally prefer the crossings.

I hate KC with a passion, l also hate the location of the Grill Restaurants and the fact that the grill decks are not that exclusive these days because they are not policed....for want of a better word. This would never be an issue on QE2...in the days of John Duffy and Andrew Nelder and indeed the Warwick era. That ship reeked class...whichever accommodation was chosen.

We all have our own take on Cunard and cruising in general, one pays their money and takes their choice.

Judy

Thank you Judy for your understanding. :)

Hi again Nclbella,

You never answered my question (posed pages ago on this thread) about your husband wearing "nice shorts", coming back from an evening in Boston.

I understand weather was an issue by that point on your voyage, but from your experience, what is the best answer to your original question (which you asked before sailing).

Do you feel it is necessary for someone to change back into long pants and a jacket before entering a bar on the QM2 at 11 pm on a port day? Is the 4th of July cruise very stringent in terms of dress?

Since I had an opinion and offered you advice, I would like to know how this aspect of your voyage turned out. I have never taking this particulate voyage, so I would like to learn from your experience.

Thank you for sharing your experiences and opinions.

Jimmybean

Judy

very well said , I dont why people just cant read the opinions and either agree or disagree, discuss maybe help , but why all the feud.

I love Cunard, I like QM2 im not in love with her though, many things arent the same today as they were 10 years, I have have been on other ships where the food and service has been much better, the shows much better and for sure the beds and bed linen have been better, but I still return to Cunard.

we have now started to pay the extra for grills and it is so worth the extra

But because I don't agree with the general public on this forum, anything I say will be picked apart. :rolleyes:

I find it funny that this is what you chose to respond to......how classy of you.

I have to disagree, you find some who agree, you find some willing to chat and you will find a few who just want to start a witch hunt, and thats that the sad part, for the most I think 99% will be happy to discuss :)

I was also on this cruise and NCLBELLA was right on mark what she said about the QM2.

I'm sure myself and NCLBELLA would be more verbal with this cruise but there are 3 current member reviews for this same trip.

Just go to select a trip QM2

Save your money by Hocustravel

Very nice, but could have been better by Codybear1

Just so-so by Sgill1125

At this writing they are the first 3 member reviews.

Enjoy reading them.

According to the Oxford Dictionaries, 'Condemnation' is defined as ' the expression of very strong disapproval; censure'.

One would hope that one would engage in a discussion without indulging in an insult.

what it is

condemation or opinion the OP has a right to express it without the backlash

some people like disney, some cuanrd, some all ships, some only like one line, but surly all views should be read and discussed in a nicer way

what it is

condemation or opinion the OP has a right to express it without the backlash

some people like disney, some cuanrd, some all ships, some only like one line, but surly all views should be read and discussed in a nicer way

One person's 'backlash' may well be another's 'response'

I would have thought that it goes with the territory that if one posts on a public forum one must expect responses both for and against.

One must also be prepared to defend one's point of view.

One person's 'backlash' may well be another's 'response'

I would have thought that it goes with the territory that if one posts on a public forum one must expect responses both for and against.

One must also be prepared to defend one's point of view.

No, the op got backlash just for expressing her personal opinions and was jumped on from a great height which happens most frequently on this board and is not at all necessary.

One of course may defend one's point of view but this can be done in an extremely better and more pleasant way.

Judy

Thank you Judy for your understanding. :)

You are welcome Tracey. I do understand your point of view as l am very open minded and not Cunardified.....now there's a new word to digest. or not!

Most folk on here are very happy to help and discuss matters in an intelligent manner, others however appear to want to battle, be sarcastic and pull one down. I would suggest you ignore this type of behaviour and leave them to it because they really aren't worth responding to.

I'm sure you have very happy memories of your voyage on QM2....please don't allow folk on here to mar those moments you enjoyed on board.

Judy

No, the op got backlash just for expressing her personal opinions and was jumped on from a great height which happens most frequently on this board and is not at all necessary.

One of course may defend one's point of view but this can be done in an extremely better and more pleasant way.

Judy

We will have to agree to disagree in that I don't consider that the OP was 'jumped on from a great height'.

Reading through the previous pages, the OP has replied to various posts with comments such as

' But only someone of your obvious ignorance would choose to judge otherwise.'

' You are actually coming across, to me, as an unhappy person.'

' How classy of you.'

One might suggest that the OP has been jumping on others from a great height.

You are welcome Tracey. I do understand your point of view as l am very open minded and not Cunardified.....now there's a new word to digest. or not!

Most folk on here are very happy to help and discuss matters in an intelligent manner, others however appear to want to battle, be sarcastic and pull one down. I would suggest you ignore this type of behaviour and leave them to it because they really aren't worth responding to.

I'm sure you have very happy memories of your voyage on QM2....please don't allow folk on here to mar those moments you enjoyed on board.

Judy[/QUOTwell said

We will have to agree to disagree in that I don't consider that the OP was 'jumped on from a great height'.

Reading through the previous pages, the OP has replied to various posts with comments such as

' But only someone of your obvious ignorance would choose to judge otherwise.'

' You are actually coming across, to me, as an unhappy person.'

' How classy of you.'

One might suggest that the OP has been jumping on others from a great height.

Now what was it l was saying about backlash whenever one happens to comment on something that another disagrees with.

Hi again Nclbella,

You never answered my question (posed pages ago on this thread) about your husband wearing "nice shorts", coming back from an evening in Boston.

I understand weather was an issue by that point on your voyage, but from your experience, what is the best answer to your original question (which you asked before sailing).

Do you feel it is necessary for someone to change back into long pants and a jacket before entering a bar on the QM2 at 11 pm on a port day? Is the 4th of July cruise very stringent in terms of dress?

Since I had an opinion and offered you advice, I would like to know how this aspect of your voyage turned out. I have never taking this particulate voyage, so I would like to learn from your experience.

Thank you for sharing your experiences and opinions.

Jimmybean

Hey, why are you so concerned with me? I'm nice and I happen to be shorts.:confused: