taking the ferry from new jersey to manhattan cruise terminal

manny1125

Hi,

Looking for some help on staying in New Jersey and taking the ferry to the manhattan cruise terminal?

We are a group of 21 people so we will have 5 vehicles and trying to find the best option for parking as parking 5 vehicles is pretty expensive.

Or would anyone recommend taking the amtrak from Syracuse, Ny to New Yok City. Our cruise is from Feb 1-13, 2015?

Thanks in advance for any help

Manny

Hi,

Looking for some help on staying in New Jersey and taking the ferry to the manhattan cruise terminal?

We are a group of 21 people so we will have 5 vehicles and trying to find the best option for parking as parking 5 vehicles is pretty expensive.

Or would anyone recommend taking the amtrak from Syracuse, Ny to New Yok City. Our cruise is from Feb 1-13, 2015?

Manny

No matter where you park in the area they are going to charge you to leave your car for a week.

You might save a bit and stay at a hotel by one of the airports and use the cheaper offsite parking but the cheapest you will find is probably 10 a day and then factor in train, taxi from train to port etc and I am not sure how big the savings will be.

Amtrak is probably your best bet but I would be careful traveling say of cruise at that time of year, especially from Syracuse.

The Hilton Penn Station in Newark is more reasonably priced than Manhattan hotels. We came in a day early, and then the next day crossed the street to Penn Station. We found that PATH, the light rail was easier to get our luggage onto than the train that would take us into Manhattan Penn Station.

Does Amtrak go from Syracuse to Newark Penn Station?

I spoke to a very kind customer service rep from the ferry company. We may do this for our October cruise. The ferry parking garage is, I believe, $13/day. I forget the ferry fare. After you get off of the ferry there is a free shuttle bus that takes you to a block or two away from the cruise terminal or you can get a cab where you disembark from the ferry. We are not yet sure of what we will do but this seems to be a reasonably priced option. The rep said that people going on cruises use the ferry a lot.

Hi,

Manny

Hi,

Welcome to Cruise Critic,

You can have a look and/or post a new thread here : http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=415

It's the board for the East coast departure.

The bus from Albany will cost you 90$ per person round trip and includes FREE parking in Albany.

http://www.yankeetrails.com/

Edited by sebas030

I highly recommend Amtrak. We took the train from Niagara Falls, NY in December 2006 and it was fantastic. We did have 3 kids 8 and under with my DH and I and it was well worth it. The last time we sailed out of the NY area was in Brooklyn so we drove and the parking rate wasn't too bad but in August we are sailing from Manhattan so decided to take the Amtrak again. We can park for free at the train station and the train cost less than what parking for the week would be in Manhattan so it is definitely worth it IMHO. We are coming in the night before and booked the Hilton Garment District for $169 which is 10 min walk from Penn station and we will take a cab to the port in the morning.

I highly recommend Amtrak. We took the train from Niagara Falls, NY in December 2006 and it was fantastic. We did have 3 kids 8 and under with my DH and I and it was well worth it. The last time we sailed out of the NY area was in Brooklyn so we drove and the parking rate wasn't too bad but in August we are sailing from Manhattan so decided to take the Amtrak again. We can park for free at the train station and the train cost less than what parking for the week would be in Manhattan so it is definitely worth it IMHO. We are coming in the night before and booked the Hilton Garment District for $169 which is 10 min walk from Penn station and we will take a cab to the port in the morning.

Thank you for the tip about Hilton garment district.