Roll-Calls Amadeus Symphony Christmas Time cruise 12/21/05

Live the good life

Our family of 3 will be going on this 10 day cruise Prague to Vienna. This will be the first River cruise for DH and our teenage daughter. Last one I did with my mom on the Danube through Germany and Austria (not Prague) was about 16 years ago! In addition, we will also be spending 2 nights in Amsterdam, and 3 nights in Budapest post cruise...

Anybody else from this cc board on this cruise? Hopefully there will be other teenagers as well...

FYI: We booked our cruise directly through http://www.amadeuswaterways.com, as we find that the manager Jon, a licensed tour guide for many years in Europe, has been extremely helpful in assisting us with the logistics of the trip...He had been on these cruises before as well and able to give us answers to specific questions. Besides, his office is based in California, in the same time zone with us!

Kim

Wondering what the weather would be like during this time of the year in Amsterdam, Prague, Vienna, Salzburg, and Budapest? We have only been to Paris, Barcelona, Madrid during X-mas times past years; and besides being at the Whistler ski resort in Canada, are usually at a warm places during this time of the year...

Wondering whether there will be Snow? whether the river will be partly frozen? Will the monuments be covered in snow or only for a few hours in the morning?

The average weather record lists about 37 degree F, and one hour of sunshine average a day during December. Will one still be able to take photos of monuments during the day time? Also, will there still be musicians on the street performing, and activities at outdoors shops/cafes (besides X-mas markets), or will most activities be limited indoors?

Thanks for any input,

Kim

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there! We are going on the the Christmas cruise too (Vienna to Prague) but are leaving early December so we can scour the Christmas markets. I figure Sacher Torte won't have as many calories since the cold weather burns it off your hips faster - it's the season to be merry!

What's even nicer is that we got a great price for the cruise at UET, leaving more money for us to spend on shopping and strudel. I talked with some Austrian (I think that's where he is from) who was very knowlegable and helpful. We are staying some extra days in Vienna before the cruise and he gave us a lot of good ideas about what to do there.

Hi there! We are going on the the Christmas cruise too (Vienna to Prague) but are leaving early December so we can scour the Christmas markets. I figure Sacher Torte won't have as many calories since the cold weather burns it off your hips faster - it's the season to be merry!

What's even nicer is that we got a great price for the cruise at UET, leaving more money for us to spend on shopping and strudel. I talked with some Austrian (I think that's where he is from) who was very knowlegable and helpful. We are staying some extra days in Vienna before the cruise and he gave us a lot of good ideas about what to do there.

That is good to know... We sometimes book through an agency too as long as they provide good customer services and respond to our questions promptly. We actually have seen UET's web site before. Might give them a call.

Kim

Archived