1 hr in ports

frostypenguin

I know, I know I'm going to get flamed for this, but here goes...

I have booked excursions in both these ports that only leave me about an hour or hour and a half in each after my excursions so I would like to know what good shops (shopping) shouldn't I miss as I would like to get souvenirs, etc. but know the time is limited.

Ketchikan and Juneau

No flaming here...to me shopping is way down the list of priorities in Alaska. Depending on which tours you take you may have the opportunity to purchase such things as caps and t-shirts from the tour operator which is kind of neat. But can also be kind of pricey. Remember the places you're going are really small towns by lower 48 standards and you'll easily find time for shopping before or after your excursions.

There are several stores near the pier in both towns, very easy to get to. An hour is ample time if you just want to grab a few things.

Why would anyone flame you for asking a shopping question? :confused:

In all of the ports, it's safe to generalize that the further you get from the dock the better the shopping is (well, up to 6-8 blocks away, at least - then it turns into places that the locals shop at). The places close to the ships all have the crap that the cruiselines recommend you get because they get a piece of the action :(

Murray

>>The flaming referred to booking too many excursions and not enough time in the town itself.<<

The cruise-port towns are largely artificial creations - the good excursions get you to Alaska!

There are dozens of great shops - just keep walking until the $5.99 ulus and $2.99 t-shirts disappear from the window displays and you're in the right neighborhood :D One gem that's usually missed is the artists' co-op on Franklin Street in Juneau (in the back of the building across from Alaska Heritage Coffee, which is easy to find). In Ketchikan, the are several excellent galleries near and on Creek Street - Blue Heron and Exploration Galleries in particular (not just art - lots of good quality souvenirs too. In Skagway, Broadway has several great shops up near the post office - check out Skagway Artworks for "real" ulus made from old saw blades as they were traditionally.

Murray

Archived