Question about Sydney

My family and I are taking the Canada/New England cruise on the Ruby Princess in October. We've booked most of our excursions, but are on the waitlist for a few of them (we prefer to book through the cruise ship). We are scheduled to take a tour of Peggy's Cove in the morning. We'd also like to take a tour of the Maritime Museum. My understanding is that it's within walking distance of the pier (not sure if we will be docked there or take a tender, i can't remember). Does anyone know if we can walk to the museum from the dock? This would be ideal, since we'd like to go back to the cruise ship after the Peggy's Cove tour for lunch, then go back into town to see the museum and walk around. Your advice is much appreciated.

I don't know how to edit my previous post but I meant to say Question about Halifax!

The Maritime Museum, if you are a good walker, is a 10 minutes walk from your ship. I visited it this year in my Canada/New-England cruise and found it quite interesting. Here is a free no-publicity Halifax guide written by Tom Sheridan a fellow cruiser with a good map:

http://www.tomsportguides.com/Halifax-06-15-2011.pdf

Tom has written many guides for other ports your ship is visiting including Quebec City, Sydney NS, Saguenay QC, Saint-John NB, Boston etc. so here is the general link for his other guides:

http://www.tomsportguides.com/portguides.html

Hope this helps.

Edited by Jolie_Cruiser

The Maritime Museum is within walking distance. I'm 68, my husband is on a mobility scooter, and it took us 15-20 minutes. It's worth a visit. The exhibits on Titanic and the Great Explosion of 1917 are particularly interesting. Turn right when you leave the ship and follow the boardwalk.

However, we can also recommend a museum that is located literally right next door to the exit of the cruise terminal. Halifax was the Ellis Island of Canada, and the museum is located in what was the immigration processing center. I used to work on U.S. immigration issues, and I found the Canadian museum very interesting. You can get in through the shopping mall part of the cruise terminal, so even if it is raining you won't get wet. Enjoy!

Edited by twosides
typos

Twosides is referring to the Canadian Museum of Immigration. It is at Pier 21. Cruise ships dock at Piers 21, 22 and sometimes higher numbers. They seldom tender.

http://www.pier21.ca/home

Please check the other current link here on the Ports of Call for Canada page, where there are quite a few posted links including a map of the waterfront.