Volendam v. Infinity

auntjoy036

I plan to take my Mom on an Alaska cruise next summer. I've worked through our priorities (and budget) and believe we will most enjoy a 7 night roundtrip inside passage cruise out of Vancouver. I am looking forward to watching the beautiful scenery and maybe wildlife as we sail. For those familiar with the HAL Volendam and Celebrity Infinity, which has the better indoor and outdoor observation areas? What were your favorite spots to watch the world float by?

Thanks.

Vicki

Can't speak for the Infinity as I've only ever sailed HAL. On HAL, they have wonderful wraparound teak Promenade decks that are under cover for the liquid sunshine you will no doubt encounter in beautiful Alaska. HAL also has the Crows Nest - a glassed in lounge on the top of the ship overlooking the bow. Wonderfully comfortable lounge chairs with amazing forward and side views. And then there are the 'secret decks' on the smaller HAL ships such as the Volendam and Amsterdam. Deck 7, Navigation deck, on the Amsterdam and the Volendam has a delightful aft public deck that is almost never used by anyone. Just one flight of steps up to the aft Lido pool, the Seaview Bar, and the Lido buffet restaurant. Very convenient and private, that secret deck contains several lounge chairs and the amazing wake view.

Also consider getting one of the secret cabins on the aft of the Volendam - we have stayed in the mirror cabin on the Amsterdam. I believe the cabin numbers on the Volendam are 7087 and 7086 (check the deck plans to be sure). These are oceanview cabins that overlook the 'secret aft deck' which is literally five steps out your cabin door to this wonderful treasure.

Another great viewing area is the Lido indoor pool area, which is surrounded by floor to ceiling windows - all enclosed and warm.

Good luck in your decision - perhaps someone with knowledge of Celebrity ships will chime in for a comparison.

It is aft on the Navigation deck. You can get there inside by taking the aft elevators and heading toward the rear of the ship on either the starboard or port side (there are doors out to it on both sides). Or you can go to the Lido deck, walk aft, past the Seaview Bar and the aft outdoor pool, and just go down the set of stairs all the way in the stern.

BTW - deck 6 on the Amsterdam (and I believe on the Volendam too) is another 'secret deck', also on deck 2 (main deck). The Navigation deck is better though - more loungers and quieter than deck 6.

Never been on a cruise ship before. What does "aft" mean, or stand for? We will be on the Volendam in September.

The back end! And you will love the Volendam - perfect size ship, perfect day for departure (midweek).

Edited by Lizzie68

The Volendam was our first Alaska cruise and we loved it. I see next year it is doing the same Itinerary that we did in 2004. It goes to both Tracy Arm and Glacier Bay. We spent most of our time on the back Navigator deck and not on our balcony! We loved it back there. On your balcony you only get to view one side of the ship but in the rear you see both sides. You can also get outside on most of the Volendam's front decks. Just go to the very front on the upper passenger decks and there will be a door to a very nice viewing area.

I plan to take my Mom on an Alaska cruise next summer. I've worked through our priorities (and budget) and believe we will most enjoy a 7 night roundtrip inside passage cruise out of Vancouver. I am looking forward to watching the beautiful scenery and maybe wildlife as we sail. For those familiar with the HAL Volendam and Celebrity Infinity, which has the better indoor and outdoor observation areas? What were your favorite spots to watch the world float by?

Thanks.

Vicki

ANY ship going to Alaska works for me. All ships have their own personality. Volendam is a smaller ship than the Infinity. So you don't have to walk so far between things. Glacier views are good on any of the ships. I get right ourside there and watch. Or you can go to the front lounge at the top of most ships for inside viewing. I go outside because sometimes pictures through a window don't come out real good. What ports is the ship stopping at? What excursions do you want to do, that one ship would offer that the other wouldn't? Does the Volendam still have a movie theater? Infinity took theirs out. What is life/personality like on the ship? As I said before, I could make any ship work, as long as I was going to Alaska. :):):)