Transportation from sanford orland airport to Port Canaveral

sikohaki

Rent a car. I did this in June for my cruise. It is about an hour and 15 minute drive to Port Canaveral. Drop your car off at the rental car agency in Cocoa Beach and take the free 5 minute shuttle to Port. I used Avis but other rental agencies do this also.

Do not use National Car Rental if you are dropping the car off in Cocoa Beach. It's the farthest from the port and they do NOT have a shuttle, no matter what their reservation agents say on the phone. You'll have to get a cab for about $20 to get to the ship. Hertz, Avis and a few others do have shuttles and they're much closer to the port.

I have looked at maps and it looks like Thrifty is right on Atlantic Ave. (A1A) between our hotel in Cocoa Beach and the port. Anyone know if it is handy to reach? We do have a ride already to the port with my parents so we don't need a shuttle but they are not joinning us until Sunday night and we get into Orlando Saturday night so we need to get around until Monday morning when we board the ship.

I have looked at maps and it looks like Thrifty is right on Atlantic Ave. (A1A) between our hotel in Cocoa Beach and the port. Anyone know if it is handy to reach?

Yes, Thrifty is convenient to the port...across the street from Avis and about a block north of Hertz. Thrifty has also recently added shuttle service to the port.

Sanford is about a 45-minute drive from MCO (Orlando International Airport) , and then it's another 1-hour drive to Port Canaveral from there. Sanford IS NOT in Orlando proper (it's kinda w-aaa-y out there!) , so please judge your driving time each way accordingly! Also, the highway from Orlando proper to Port Canaveral is a toll-road, so stock up on your quarters!

• 2 weeks later...

parody - I mentioned it so that the OP would realize that there are two airports in the Orlando area, and to give an idea of distances involved. I really did not intend that they should go to MCO on their way to Port Canaveral....just giving out relative info.

just giving out relative info.

OK, I guess that means that the relevant relative info is that it's about a 1 hour drive from MCO to Port Canaveral while it is about a 1 hour and ten minute drive from Orlando-Sanford International Airport to Port Canaveral.

Well, geez, parody! I deliberately did not use the word "relevant"! I used the word "relative" as a means of stating "comparative", in a Roget's kind of way. I've flown into Sanford as well as MCO a number of times, depending upon my ultimate destination. I had no idea that perception and intention might be misconstrued to mean misdirection. I'm sure you understand.

I highly recommend NOT using Avis to get from the port back to the airport. We used Avis last week and had no problems getting to the ship. HOWEVER, getting back was a nightmare. We waiting for over an hour in the hot florida sun for the first Avis shuttle -- of course that one was quickly filled with all the other irate people who'd had to wait all this time. There is NO overhead cover in the area where the rental car shuttles pick up -- this is a problem of the port, not Avis, but still a big problem. We ended up taking a cab to the rental car place -- once there we were quickly on our way.

I must say that the other agencies were also somewhat overwhelmed, but Avis appeared to be the worst. It appears that Budget had the most shuttles, but also the most people. In the future I would just plan on taking a taxi to the rental car pickup from the port and not bother with the shuttle.

There are several discount codes that you can use and depending on what size car you need, you can save some money. We are going from Orlando Airport to Port Canerval in December and for a one way rental midsize, w/ an automatic one size upgrade, (it's just the 2 of us) I got a rate of 25.19 for the day, using the code K199060, if you book online, put that code under AWD. There are a few other codes you can try, D46460 and K492101. I didn't use this code for the rental for the return trip because I had a free weekend coupon, so it made sense to use that , but these discount codes were passed onto me from someone else one these boards and came from mousesavers.com and are there for anyone to use, so I thought I'd pass them along. I spoke w/ Avis and they said they would shuttle us to the ship after we return the car.

Archived