Tokyo arrive NRT continue HND? How?

Bowie MeMe

How much trouble would it be to change airports in Tokyo? US flight gets in at 4:30 PM NRT then a flight to Jakarta goes from HND to Jakarta at 10:30AM the next day. We want the long layover for a rest period and will go to a hotel.

With plenty of time, the transfer is very doable. Couple of things to keep in mind:

1) You will be responsible for collecting your checked bags and moving them to HND for re-check.

2) The airports are about 50 miles apart, so a hotel near HND is the practical choice.

3) Even if on one ticket, you will pay for the transfer yourself.

4) You could use airport limo bus or rail for the transfer and get to your hotel from HND. More transfer info here.

Very easily done in the time constraints you mention. I've taken both the Narita Express and used the airport limo bus. Limo bus is convenient but not particularly interesting. You have to experience the Tokyo train/subway network, it's a hoot!

Judging by your posting it sounds like you've not been to Tokyo before, I'd certainly include a few days to stay there and visit, it's one of my favourite cities anywhere.

I'd stay in Ginza/Shiodome and take the Tokyo Monorail from Hamamatsucho station to Haneda on the day of your flight.

Thanks for the information. I am looking forward to Tokyo on the last part of the trip where we will spend about 4 days in Kyoto and 3 days in Tokyo after a cruise from Bali to Osaka. I am just looking for options because I want to use United points for this trip but I need time to get those points into my account so can't book just yet. Master plan for gathering points was late starting (because I spent them all on trip to NZ:p) I figure the more ways I can get to Jakarta then on to Bali the more likely I am to get a reward ticket. United out of Dulles is the only non-stop to Tokyo but if I go through LAX or SFO more options and perhaps can get one ticket all the way to Jakarta -- a hub that is cheaper to get to than Tokyo even though on the same flights. My biggest wish is to get saver awards in BC (DREAM ON -- anything is possible at this stage of the trip -- then reality hits)

The large majority of flights from the US to Tokyo fly to NRT. There are a handful of flights into HND from the US and Canada. LAX, SFO, YVR, and YYZ come to mind. You might want to check the cost and schedule tradeoffs of eliminating the airport change.

the beauty of United/ANA from IAD to Tokyo is non-stop 14 + hour flight versus 5 hour flight to LAX/SFO layover or stopover then 13 hour flight so either LONG day or two days to Tokyo and then another 8 hours to Jakarta.

Catch the cruise in Bali.