Using birth certificates instead of passports

. . . Hopefully that means they will accept a CRBA for adults the same as CBP does.

I agree. Since the government entrance requirements are theoretically the basis for RCI's documentation requirements, I am pretty sure the RCI ambiguity is the result of sloppy drafting by somebody who didn't recognize that, even though a CRBA is a basic citizenship document is not a "birth certificate." In any event, for the purposes involved here [entrance into the United States on return from a closed loop cruise] they are equivalent. I think "government issued" [as opposed to hospital issued or anything other than government issued]is the point RCI was trying to make. I can't think of any incentive RCI would have to be more restrictive than the government.

Personally, my passport resolves any such questions. But I really don't like the idea of kids born abroad to soldiers [like my DD] and other government servants being treated as second class citizens to any extent. If any thing, they should get extra considerations.

Edited by mjldvlks

... But I really don't like the idea of kids born abroad to soldiers [like my DD] and other government servants being treated as second class citizens to any extent. If any thing, they should get extra considerations.

I hear you. Thank you for your service to this country. :)

The case I mentioned earlier about Holland America was also a person born abroad to a US soldier. He was born in Germany on a US army base, and he thought (and was told by HAL) that his German birth certificate showing the place of birth as the US army hospital would suffice to prove US citizenship for cruise purposes. What he needed was a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, but unfortunately he didn't learn that until after he'd been denied boarding at the pier and posted his story here. Of course, applying for a passport would have flushed out the problem in advance.

Edited by dwjoe