How to rent clam shells on GSC?

dos equis

Hi all,

I did some searching on this board and also in the Bahamas port-of-call board, but I can't find the answer to my question. I've heard you can rent a clam shell for Great Strirrup Cay (for $30, from what I've seen). Can anyone tell me how to do this? It's not available in my excursion options on ncl.com, although cabanas are. Is it something you can do only once on board? Does anyone have a picture of what they look like? Thanks so much! We're going to spend the whole day on the beach so I want to have a home base.

Thanks again,

Jamie

You need to book them onboard - I believe at the shore excursion desk. You can't pre-book them.

If you go to the "Private Islands" section on the main page of Cruise Critic and look for recent threads about GSC - I believe there are a couple that show pictures of the clam shells, the island, the cabanas, etc. Lots of pics to look at.

You book them on board or if you are in a suite or a VIP, the concierge in the waiting area will take care of it for you. I HIGHLY recommend reserving yours as soon as you possibly can. Last cruise we were lucky enough to get one by booking in the VIP lounge. The morning as we were getting ready to tender, a woman from the Haven was flipping out that she didn't have one. She was seriously throwing a hissy fit. Sorry to say it but my husband and I just laughed and laughed every time we saw her. She felt, and on numerous occasions even said, that she was better than the rest of us non-Haveners. Ugh. Some people. :eek:

Thanks! I didn't realize there was a "private islands" board, I'll have to check it out.

I'm going to reserve one first thing once on board. Thanks again!

I didn't either! See you on that board too!

Thanks! I didn't realize there was a "private islands" board, I'll have to check it out.

I'm going to reserve one first thing once on board. Thanks again!

Good! I'm glad you found it! I've been slowly clicking on most of the various boards finding all kinds of interesting stuff - surprising how much you can find with a bit of patience and scrolling!

I was on the first tender, walked over and got one. It was not that hard.

Tender tickets are given out starting around 7:40am on the pool deck the date of GSC

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You could easily just walk over and get one but if you don't reserve and pay for one, the people who actually did reserve one will have to have the staff remove you from your clamshell. We saw many people upset because they had reserved one and someone who didn't pay thought they could just take one. Like it was you snooze, you lose. The crew working at the island would have to go around and they would look for the rental slip that goes on the clamshell once the people that paid for it check in. If there was not slip, you had to leave.

If you rent a clamshell, you get priority tender tickets delivered to your stateroom the night before going to the island. No need to go to the pool deck for them.