Ship wine home from Bordeaux?

Many of the wine merchants in Bordeaux offer to ship cases of wine back to the USA for customers. I was thinking of using this service when we stop in Bordeaux in Sept. of the Voyager (Sept. 7 from Rouen). Does anyone know the import and Customs procedures? What;s the chance that our well-chosen wines will be caught in Customs, or if the duty will be excessive?

Jack4cruisin

The majority of States require that you obtain an import license. This protects the wine distributors.

Duty and excise taxes will further increase the landed costs as well as freight. Some wines do not travel well and must be kept at certain temperatures.

It really is not worth the hassle and I would not recommend it. There are so many imported wines here in the U.S.

NEVI22.JPG?dc=4675448239682887931

Neville is right. We tried shipping wines back from wineries in Australia and it ended being way too much trouble and too expensive. We would have had to ship them to a distributor in California and then found some way to get them to us.

Sue

My experience is very different from the others. My wife and I are on the same cruise that you are and we're planning to ship several cases back. Most of the major wine shops in Europe and Australia have arrangements with licensed importers in major cities; we shipped 4 cases to an importer in Pasadena when we cruised on Princess to Australia last year. Duties are VERY nominal and the importer's fee is typically buried in the selling price. When you buy wine abroad, not only do you save on the selling prices (typically at least 20-30% less than the same wine in US shops), but you also don't have to pay the VAT taxes that are 15-18% in most countries. Thus you end up buying the wine for about 40-50% less than the US price. To that, add an average of $10 a bottle for shipping, insurance and duty. Thus if you buy a case of wine selling for $30 a bottle in Bordeaux ($360 for the case), your cost will typically be about $300 (no VAT) plus $120 for shipping. Thus you end up paying about $420, or $35 a bottle. If you know your wines, that will be wine selling for $50-60 a bottle in the US, IF you can even get it since the best wines seldom leave their growing regions. Also, it no trouble on your part since the wines typically are air shipped and arrive at your door within 3-4 weeks of ordering them.

Bringing back wine is even easier. The "duty" everyone is terrified of is typically $1 a bottle; in 30 years of shlepping back 2-3 cases on the plane with me, I've never been charged more than that, and I've only had to pay an excess weight fee once or twice. Also, in about 50 trips of bringing back more than 100 cases, I've had exactly 2 bottles broken when they show up at LAX.

Thus bringing back wine is a terrific idea, providing you bring back wines that are worth the trouble. Don't buy wines readily available in your home state, and focus on wines selling for at least $25-$50 a bottle in the places you buy them. Look for large wine stores, not individual wineries. The prices will be better, the selection will be better, and they will have the connections to get the wines to you.

Now a question if you've gotten this far. Does Radisson allow you to open wines you've bought ashore in the dining room? Since you won't be drinking their "free" wine, I assume they would have no problems, especially if you offer the sommilier a taste!

Thanks to all for the replies. Since I live in California (Los Altos Hills, near SF), and am a customer at a nearby wine merchant who does his own importing, I think I'll discuss the logistics with him.

Steve, are you on the exact same cruise (Sept. 7, Voyager), or the same itinerary on a different date?

Jack

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by stevefrankel:

My experience is very different from the others. My wife and I are on the same cruise that you are and we're planning to ship several cases back. Most of the major wine shops in Europe and Australia have arrangements with licensed importers in major cities; we shipped 4 cases to an importer in Pasadena when we cruised on Princess to Australia last year. Duties are VERY nominal and the importer's fee is typically buried in the selling price. When you buy wine abroad, not only do you save on the selling prices (typically at least 20-30% less than the same wine in US shops), but you also don't have to pay the VAT taxes that are 15-18% in most countries. Thus you end up buying the wine for about 40-50% less than the US price. To that, add an average of $10 a bottle for shipping, insurance and duty. Thus if you buy a case of wine selling for $30 a bottle in Bordeaux ($360 for the case), your cost will typically be about $300 (no VAT) plus $120 for shipping. Thus you end up paying about $420, or $35 a bottle. If you know your wines, that will be wine selling for $50-60 a bottle in the US, IF you can even get it since the best wines seldom leave their growing regions. Also, it no trouble on your part since the wines typically are air shipped and arrive at your door within 3-4 weeks of ordering them.

Bringing back wine is even easier. The "duty" everyone is terrified of is typically $1 a bottle; in 30 years of shlepping back 2-3 cases on the plane with me, I've never been charged more than that, and I've only had to pay an excess weight fee once or twice. Also, in about 50 trips of bringing back more than 100 cases, I've had exactly 2 bottles broken when they show up at LAX.

Thus bringing back wine is a terrific idea, providing you bring back wines that are worth the trouble. Don't buy wines readily available in your home state, and focus on wines selling for at least $25-$50 a bottle in the places you buy them. Look for large wine stores, not individual wineries. The prices will be better, the selection will be better, and they will have the connections to get the wines to you.

Now a question if you've gotten this far. Does Radisson allow you to open wines you've bought ashore in the dining room? Since you won't be drinking their "free" wine, I assume they would have no problems, especially if you offer the sommilier a taste!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

no problem.. the ship is a class act..they do not charge a corkage fee..

Barcelona to Venice on Oceania - "Insignia"

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;5;3;18;00;00&timezone=GMT+0100

Buenos Aires to Rio Oceania - "Insignia"

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2005;2;2;18;00;00&timezone=GMT-0300

mermaidswim.gif

icon_treasurebox.gif

We're on the same cruise. As noted, we're avid wine hunters and will use much of our shore time scouting out interesting wines and wineries. We'll probably book a private wine tour at 1 or 2 of the ports. Let us know if you would like to come with us if we do so. Also, it might be nice to have a drink or dine together early in the cruise.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jack4cruisin:

Thanks to all for the replies. Since I live in California (Los Altos Hills, near SF), and am a customer at a nearby wine merchant who does his own importing, I think I'll discuss the logistics with him.

Steve, are you on the exact same cruise (Sept. 7, Voyager), or the same itinerary on a different date?

Jack<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

To Stevefrankel and other vinophiles on the Sept. '04 France/Spain/Portugal Voyager cruise:

We'd be interested in joining others in search of good Bordeaux wine. Does anyone know which of any Bordeaux wine merchants offer tastings? I've often been disappointed, even with Grand Cru Bordeaux wines purchased from my local wine shop. If not, I better start my research!

I agree that it's not worth bringing back wines that are available in the US, unless they are true bargains. But I don't want to miss out if I find something special.

I agree with Teresa Price that many countries also have good wine. In fact, I live an hour's drive from the Napa/Sonoma region and favor many of the local zins and cabs. However, I do especially enjoy Bordeauxs.

By the way, we took this same itinerary 2 years ago... on the RSSC Mariner. There are so many activity choises in each port, and more things we didn't have time to do in port last voyage, that we decided to take it again. This will be our 5th RSSC cruise in the past 5 years.

Jack

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jack4cruisin:

To Stevefrankel and other vinophiles on the Sept. '04 France/Spain/Portugal Voyager cruise:

We'd be interested in joining others in search of good Bordeaux wine. Does anyone know which of any Bordeaux wine merchants offer tastings? I've often been disappointed, even with Grand Cru Bordeaux wines purchased from my local wine shop. If not, I better start my research!

I agree that it's not worth bringing back wines that are available in the US, unless they are true bargains. But I don't want to miss out if I find something special.

I agree with Teresa Price that many countries also have good wine. In fact, I live an hour's drive from the Napa/Sonoma region and favor many of the local zins and cabs. However, I do especially enjoy Bordeauxs.

By the way, we took this same itinerary 2 years ago... on the RSSC Mariner. There are so many activity choises in each port, and more things we didn't have time to do in port last voyage, that we decided to take it again. This will be our 5th RSSC cruise in the past 5 years.

Jack<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Many of the Chateau do not have tastings for anyone who isn't a merchant.. but we had a wonderful driver who arranged many great tastings for us .Tried to go to Cheval Blanc was able to do Figeac, Canon and others. Some of the Chateau do not even sell there wines at the estate, you need to go into the towns..so..we

Also, had a great time in the charming town of St. Emillion where there are tasting rooms/wine shops galore . So you can buy to your hearts content.

The lovely man we used and I have referred him to so many people from the great time we had is named Alain (like Alan).

His company is Dionysos, based in Bordeaux and his email address is:

dionysos@free.fr

You can tell Alain that Claudia sent ya! ;-)

Barcelona to Venice on Oceania - "Insignia"

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;5;3;18;00;00&timezone=GMT+0100

Buenos Aires to Rio Oceania - "Insignia"

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2005;2;2;18;00;00&timezone=GMT-0300

mermaidswim.gif

icon_treasurebox.gif

• 1 month later...

Thank you for the offer. Yes, please include Jill and I on the inquiry about the private tour. A mild word of caution: If the driver takes us to wineries that are normally closed, plan on buying at least a bottle or two. That's why it's great to be able to approve the winery choices in advance. I, for one, would love to visit a Margeaux estate and also one from the less expensive estates across a rather narrow river from the very high priced Margeaux estates (Cotes ?????).

Sorry, I wrote that last note before my morning coffee. Please pardon the butchered spelling of Margaux; I love drinking it (when I can afford it), even if I can't spell it. Also, the region right next to Margaux that has some incredible bargains is Cotes dd Bourg. Chateau du Mousquet is one of the better producers. Similarly, while the wines of St. Emillion are famous and the town is incredibly beautiful, Bergerac is only abvout 5 milesaway and is largely undiscovered. I've bought terrific wine there that I aged for 10 years that cost me $30 a case in the early 90s. My personal email is stevefrankel@comcast.net; please keep me in the loop regarding any wine expeditions on the cruise.

Archived