Hesitant about MSC, please help

Crusi3r_

Hello all. This is my first post and I'm hoping someone can help me.

I'm contemplating booking a 7 day Eastern Caribbean trip on the MSC Divina. I just have a few questions about MSC as this would be my first cruise aboard any company other than Carnival.

What's the atmosphere aboard an MSC cruise?

What's the age of passengers? I'm turning 29 and enjoy the Carnival ambiance. I enjoy the games they play, the deck parties, the excitement, etc.

Is room service complimentary?

Is MSC the right cruise line for me? I've been on 5 CCL trips and have enjoyed them all.

The reason I'm contemplating an MSC cruise is because there is an offer right now on the Divina that would be almost $600 less than the comparative CCL trip I was planning on taking (8 day eastern Caribbean, Breeze).

Can someone help me with these questions about MSC?

Thanks!

Welcome to CC. I am also trying Divina this fall because of the great deals. I have read that the shows are excellent and that is a HUGE selling point for me. I am anticipating less games and such, maybe because of the language differences? But, fun and sun and food and shows, all sound great to me. I will write a review when I return in September. What date are you looking at?

I'm contemplating booking a 7 day Eastern Caribbean trip on the MSC Divina. I just have a few questions about MSC as this would be my first cruise aboard any company other than Carnival.

What's the age of passengers? I'm turning 29 and enjoy the Carnival ambiance. I enjoy the games they play, the deck parties, the excitement, etc.

Is MSC the right cruise line for me? I've been on 5 CCL trips and have enjoyed them all.

The reason I'm contemplating an MSC cruise is because there is an offer right now on the Divina that would be almost $600 less than the comparative CCL trip I was planning on taking (8 day eastern Caribbean, Breeze).

Thanks!

Welcome! First of all your saving alot of money and youre getting a much nicer ship , better food and and shows are the best at sea. We have been on Carnival 7 times and now we dont even look at Carnival after going on the divina. Book them now because prices are going up in late 2015.

Thanks!

Crusi3r,,we cruised on Carnival this past March and then took our first trip onboard Divina this past May. I'm sure by looking at my upcoming cruises you can tell that we loved our trip and can't wait to get back onboard again. You won't find hairy chest contests,,mixology contests,,,etc,,etc,,as you will find on Carnival. MSC is not in your face,very few announcements during the day, no dj's blasting music on the pool decks, no waiters walking around trying to sell drinks or photographers taking your picture wherever you go. We love the laid back feel, the subtle elegance that Divina provides. Live music everywhere on the ship as well as a production show in the Pantheon Theatre twice each night, the best shows at sea in our opinion,,here's an example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyIsC3PDok0&feature=youtu.be

MSC is not for everyone and she may not be right for you, but with the prices being so low, take a chance, Divina may turn you into a loyalist like us:)

Crusi3r,,we cruised on Carnival this past March and then took our first trip onboard Divina this past May. I'm sure by looking at my upcoming cruises you can tell that we loved our trip and can't wait to get back onboard again. You won't find hairy chest contests,,mixology contests,,,etc,,etc,,as you will find on Carnival. MSC is not in your face,very few announcements during the day, no dj's blasting music on the pool decks, no waiters walking around trying to sell drinks or photographers taking your picture wherever you go. We love the laid back feel, the subtle elegance that Divina provides. Live music everywhere on the ship as well as a production show in the Pantheon Theatre twice each night, the best shows at sea in our opinion,,here's an example:

MSC is not for everyone and she may not be right for you, but with the prices being so low, take a chance, Divina may turn you into a loyalist like us:)

Thanks for that link Mike as we never get tired of seeing the MSC entertainment.

Thanks for the video clip!! We are going on her in September, I too am a frequent carnival cruiser. What I like about carnival is how friendly everyone is. I enjoy the 'fun ship" atmosphere. I'm not as disappointed with no hairy man contest but I hope it's friendly. But honestly even if it's not, just the show alone will make it worth my time!!!

Good day All! ....

I was getting on this board to post a question - and what i would have said is identical to this thread! ...

I'm thinking about the Divina on the 13th Sept ... but was a little hesitant ... I've never seen such strongly opposing reviews of anything - as I've read about MSC and the Divina! - it's certainly a Love it or Hate it type of thing ...

I'm coming to the conclusion though that no one can answer it .. so, I think that I'm going to take a chance and see for myself .... IT's a cruise, after all, Some are better than others, but ..... for the prices offered, it'll be worth it if i just lay around and eat ! ... LOL! - yeah, I'm a foodie ( and a chef) .....

Guess I'll check out the roll call and hopefully make some friends!

Good day All! ....

I was getting on this board to post a question - and what i would have said is identical to this thread! ...

I'm thinking about the Divina on the 13th Sept ... but was a little hesitant ... I've never seen such strongly opposing reviews of anything - as I've read about MSC and the Divina! - it's certainly a Love it or Hate it type of thing ...

I'm coming to the conclusion though that no one can answer it .. so, I think that I'm going to take a chance and see for myself .... IT's a cruise, after all, Some are better than others, but ..... for the prices offered, it'll be worth it if i just lay around and eat ! ... LOL! - yeah, I'm a foodie ( and a chef) .....

We're going on the Divina on Sep. 13...come over to our roll call, the more the merrier!

We've been on 3 Poesia cruises out of FL and enjoyed them. We have also been on RCI, Celebrity, Princess, Holland America, and NCL -- they all have their plusses and minuses.

Never been on Carnival so I cannot compare to that. Since the OP has only been on Carnival, I'd recommend giving MSC a try and make their own judgement. The Divina prices certainly encourages this.

Edited by TickledBlue

Good day All! ....

Sept. 13 ---

Come with us. We are Joyce and Bruce and Mary Lou and Tony from Ormond Beach. We love MSC!

Keep us posted.

I have only been on two cruises; Carnival (for just 4-days to the Bahamas) and Royal Caribbean. I didn't hate Carnival - it was first and we had nothing to compare it to. After RCI however, we vowed never to cruise with Carnival again.

The ship was CROWDED & LOUD. Seemed like there were announcements in the cabins all the time. We never did get into the pool, because there were just too many people.

I say this just to show that there's always going to be differing opinions. What I like could be totally opposite of what you're looking for in a cruise.

Give MSC a try, be open minded, relax, and enjoy! It's gotta be a good thing; it's a cruise, right?

Edited by catydid

I have only been on two cruises; Carnival (for just 4-days to the Bahamas) and Royal Caribbean. I didn't hate Carnival - it was first and we had nothing to compare it to. After RCI however, we vowed never to cruise with Carnival again.

The ship was CROWDED & LOUD. Seemed like there were announcements in the cabins all the time. We never did get into the pool, because there were just too many people.

I say this just to show that there's always going to be differing opinions. What I like could be totally opposite of what you're looking for in a cruise.

Give MSC a try, be open minded, relax, and enjoy! It's gotta be a good thing; it's a cruise, right?

Catydid, The 7-day and longer cruises on Carnival draw a different crowd than the 3- and 4-day "party cruises". Our last cruise on the Carnival Dream was wonderful and despite being at full occupancy, we never felt crowded.

We r going on the September 13 th cruise too. I always look at it this way no matter what you are at sea, on vacation, don't have to cook, clean, or anything else in between so no matter what it'll be a cheap good time. I've cruised carnival, Norwegian, royal Caribbean, and even costa. My husband and I thought costa had a different vibe since it was European but we still had fun. So join us in the 13th.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums