Adequate Cash on Hand for 1st Time Cruiser

MrsPhoenix91

We (hubby, 18 year old daughter & me) are planning our first cruise next May: 3 days to the Bahamas, leaving from Miami and sailing on the Carnival Ecstasy. After prepaid gratuities and placing the minimum $300 cash deposit on our Sail ‘n Sign account, I believe $700 cash on hand will be enough. At this moment, we have no OBC, but may change when we book at the Early Saver rate in 2 weeks. The $700 cash will be used for our round-trip transportation from the hotel to the port (then the port to MIA airport), food off the boat, and other fun stuff. We’re not planning any excursions…heck, we may not even get off the ship! Also, we do not gamble.

Based on this, do you believe $700 cash on hand is enough?

:)

Edited by MrsPhoenix91

We are a family of 4 and we just returned from a 4 night cruise to the Bahamas. We had $150 in cash on day 1 and came home with $80 on day 4. Except for tips for room service, the $5 water taxi to Paradise Island, and a handful of cheap souvenirs in Nassau, we didn't use cash much. Remember that on the ship, everything is charged to your shipboard account. Unless you're planning on going crazy at the shops onboard, or getting spa treatments, or purchasing a lot of alcohol, you won't charge much.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Tapi

I have traveled quite a bit as you can see from my sig below( It does not show all the non- cruise trips I have taken!) My piece of advice is to take twice as much cash and half as much clothes as you think you will need. You can always put the unspent cash back in the bank when you get home.:D

Edited by Momis2

I have traveled quite a bit as you can see from my sig below( It does not show all the non- cruise trips I have taken!) My piece of advice is to take twice as much cash and half as much clothes as you think you will need. You can always put the unspent cash back in the bank when you get home.:D

Good advice.

$700 cash should be plenty. May want to bump up the on board cash though since you are a family on a first cruise. $300 on board wouldn't be enough for me because I love the specialty coffee shops/drinks of the day/fun shops/steak house/etc...:D

Enjoy your cruise. They are amazing.

So very true!

Last cruise a lovely couple we met here on CC had made a wonderful suggestion - she said she makes envelopes for each of her port days with the cash she expected to use. This included cash for the taxis, with several one dollar bills for exact fare, the amount due on excursions booked outside of the cruise line and spending money. This truly kept me from overspending. (My husband thanked her several times for the great idea...men. Lol!) But we actually came home with enough left over for the deposit for our next cruise.

My piece of advice is to take twice as much cash and half as much clothes as you think you will need. You can always put the unspent cash back in the bank when you get home.:D

Excellent advice! Especially on the clothes part! I learned that lesson as I rolled 82 bags through the airport. LOL :D

Edited by zumbagirl78