Please help! Leaving in 1 week and now have mobility issue!

thegoodern

:( About a year ago, I planned a perfect family vacation for my husband and I and our 4 kids. We are an adventurous, off the beaten path kind of family that doesn't mind using a little bit of leg work to skip the crowds to find the truly unique and one of a kind experiences. I did a lot of research to find out what could do during our 3 days in Bermuda. We planned on visiting Fort St. Catherine, Tobacco Bay, Tom Moore's Jungle, Blue Hole Park, Warwick Long Bay, Jobson's Cove, and Gibbs Light house. Unfortunately yesterday, my oldest son (16) broke his ankle. We are still waiting on imaging to be evaluated to see if he needs surgery. I realize that we probably won't be able to do much now, and that is ok, but can anybody tell me what is doable in a wheelchair or crutches?

If he needs a wheelchair, you should make reservation for the cruise asap.

Will you have enough room in your stateroom ?

You can ask Ncl for a transfer to a disable room. With a doctor's order, Ncl will change someone NOT needing an accessible room that booked that room to a regular room. Do not hesitate if you feel the need too.

If you plan or using public buses in Bermuda, you will need a collapsible chair. There is no low floor or easy access in the bus. You will have to fold the char and get it on the bus yourself.

Ferries are more easily accessible with a wheel chair.

You could plan to visit St-George with the small train. Use a shuttle or taxi to get from St-George to Tobacco Bay ( with crutches ). From there it could be a long stroll with crutches to get to Fort St-Catherine.

The caves are out ( no access for wheelchair and narrow slippery wet stairs )

Not sure about Blue Hole...but from what I have heard...I think it is not possible.

I think the easiest beach access would be Horseshoe Bay since the taxi or shuttle gets you down the hill to the beach entrance.

Warwick MIGHT be accessible via the little road...not sure if you have easy access to the beach from there...

With a lot of will and strong arms, the Lighthouse might be possible...but it is a long way up :(

There is a small train that tours the Dockyard.

There is also a small train that departs from the Dockyard and tours a few close by beaches.

Not sure about the rest... :(

Edited by sebas030

Thank you for your kindness and all the wonderful advice! I will contact NCL this evening and see if they can accommodate. As far as Bermuda goes, we will probably stick with the ferries and occasional taxi or shuttle. Thanks again, I really do appreciate your help!

I spoke with a very kind woman :) at NCL. She informed me that she put in a request for a wheelchair transport. Once we get to the porters at the dock, there will be a wheelchair there and someone to help transport to the ship. Right before he gets on the ship he will be transferred to one of the Dawn's wheelchairs and will be transported to our cabin. Unfortunately, if we want to have a wheelchair to use while on board, we have to either bring our own or rent one from a company that will deliver it to and from the ship. She said that there is only 1 company that has a contract with them and she gave me their number. She also said that we will have plenty of room for the wheelchair in our cabin since we will be in a suite so that wouldn't be an issue at all.

You might want to consider a private tour for at least one day, and maybe more.

That way, you can discuss with the guide/driver just where you want to go, and there also won't be any rush (as if there were others on your tour) while you all take whatever time your son needs.

You could just take your time as needed that way.

The guide might also help you find locations/sights that are most accessible for all of you.

GeezerCouple

I spoke with a very kind woman :) at NCL. She informed me that she put in a request for a wheelchair transport. Once we get to the porters at the dock, there will be a wheelchair there and someone to help transport to the ship. Right before he gets on the ship he will be transferred to one of the Dawn's wheelchairs and will be transported to our cabin. Unfortunately, if we want to have a wheelchair to use while on board, we have to either bring our own or rent one from a company that will deliver it to and from the ship. She said that there is only 1 company that has a contract with them and she gave me their number. She also said that we will have plenty of room for the wheelchair in our cabin since we will be in a suite so that wouldn't be an issue at all.

Yes that's how they work. This company is reliable...pre-arrange things and all will be good.

Have fun !

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app