Upgrade predicting?

maina

We were upgraded on our first-ever "cruise" (crossing), transatlantic on QM 2, from oceanview to forward sheltered balcony. This happened a few weeks before the scheduled departure date. I've been checking on cabin availability for our upcoming trip (October 8th westbound transatlantic, 75 days from now, but who's counting). I see that there continue to be a lot of available cabins showing in better grades, as well as in the grade where we're currently booked. We're in deck 4 aft, sheltered balcony and would be perfectly happy with that. However, I'm curious as to whether having a lot of cabin availability this close to the sailing might be able to predict our likelihood of an upgrade? I gather from reading CC that the upgrade fairy works in mysterious ways, so there may be no answer or even guess. :D

We were upgraded on our first-ever "cruise" (crossing), transatlantic on QM 2, from oceanview to forward sheltered balcony. This happened a few weeks before the scheduled departure date. I've been checking on cabin availability for our upcoming trip (October 8th westbound transatlantic, 75 days from now, but who's counting). I see that there continue to be a lot of available cabins showing in better grades, as well as in the grade where we're currently booked. We're in deck 4 aft, sheltered balcony and would be perfectly happy with that. However, I'm curious as to whether having a lot of cabin availability this close to the sailing might be able to predict our likelihood of an upgrade? I gather from reading CC that the upgrade fairy works in mysterious ways, so there may be no answer or even guess. :D

You'll never know your luck. However, booking a guarantee cabin seems to give you the greatest chance of an upgrade. I base this in previous 'like' threads and on my own recent experience where I booked a Q6, and was upgraded twice: first to a Q5 and then to a Q1.

The first upgrade occurred within 3 weeks of sailing and the final upgrade (couldn't go higher) happened just over a week from sailing if I recall.

So don't print and laminate luggage tags early like I did, or you may have to reprint! :)

Thanks. We did book as guarantee cabins before and again this time. Last time we had already printed our luggage tags and etickets before knowing of the upgrade, but at least hadn't laminated the tags. This time, we will be abroad for several weeks before our departure and will have only sporadic email access so may not have much opportunity to reprint our materials. Might have to do that at the terminal, should luck strike again. :D