New Orleans & scooter

I've been thinking of renting a scooter in New Orleans prior to my cruise in August. Does anyone have any experience with getting around New Orleans with a scooter? Unlike other cities, the streets are uneven and many places have narrow sidewalks.

Appreciate any info

I've been thinking of renting a scooter in New Orleans prior to my cruise in August. Does anyone have any experience with getting around New Orleans with a scooter? Unlike other cities, the streets are uneven and many places have narrow sidewalks.

Appreciate any info

NOLA is not necessarily the best accessible USA city but it's not the worst.

Busses and streetcars have lifts. A large majority of stores, restaurants and major attractions are accessible by scooter. Streets have curb-cuts of a sort. However you'll often find potholes and or missing bricks to maneuver around. Wait time for an accessible cab will depend on what is ongoing in the city/weather. Lucky for me my scooter is a Pride GoGo that can be broken down to fit into the trunk of the taxi.

We did not experience any problems getting around. We stayed at a hotel on Canal Street and did not require the use of any public transportation. Scooted everyplace on our own. The cemetery was a little tight at spots but definitely worth a visit. We planned on taking the riverfront streetcar to the ship but ended up scooting all the way. It was a very easy trip; we attach the luggage to our scooters.

Betty

Edited by raindropsalways

We had no trouble at all in NO with getting around on my scooter nor did my 3 friends who also use scooters...and check out my friends ATV of mobility scooters...it is a big sucker! Even on the narrow sidewalks of Bourbon St I was OK....just had to watch the people. We stayed at the Doubletree on Canal ..great location. We were able to take our scooters on the Steamboat Natchez too!

SteamerNatchez.jpeg

DSC04690.JPG

DSC04692.JPG

DSC04719.JPG

Edited by nieciez

We stayed at the JW Marriott. Actually, the map on Priceline narrows it down to a point that I felt safe doing a “name your own price” thus we got a good deal. I do not remember what we paid, but I think it was less than half the going rate. Perfect location for getting to all the sites and the ship.

Betty

We stayed at the Quality Inn & Suites Maison St. in the Garden District. Very nice boutique style hotel and includes breakfast buffet. Also, included free parking while on the cruise. I was able to "scoot" all the way to the French Quarter and back, although my battery was fairly drained by then. The sidewalks with curb-cuts were manageable, although some were not in the best shape. Had to lift it into a restaurant & bar as there was a small step. :(