Crazy Muster Question

dustanltye

We were on 1 cruise (spring break) where 1 group of college students were so drunk they were falling down at the muster station (Comedy lounge) and when we went up to the boats, 1 girl decided this would be a good time for a bathroom break, so she just dropped shorts right there on the deck.:eek: We all scooted away from her and had to inform one of our muster attendants. BTW- Other college student would say, "We're not with that group". I don't know whether or not the 2 were either cutoff from drinking for the rest of the cruise or removed from the ship as we were still in port.

That is disgusting.

I don't think people would hate muster as much if the passengers all cooperated. I don't mind going to muster but it really annoys me when we go when we are supposed to and have to stand with rows of others getting hot and uncomfortable for 15 or 20 minutes while they round up the people who don't want to come. Last time it was very hot and we had to stand there and wait for half an hour while they were rounding up the stragglers, who show up laughing like it's a big jokes. There was a woman who got sick over the balcony and another who passed out from being so hot. They announced to anyone who came with a drink that no one could drink alcohol, but a couple of young girls came and were drunk and the guys running the muster just joked around with them about it and let them have their drinks.

THere has been talk of and I do belive 1 time where Carnival has put guest off for tring to skip the muster drill. Personally I think that is a great idea, give them say 10 mins from the sound pf the alarm to get to thier station, if not there and not found tring to get there put them off right then and there. Word gets out that they will put you off wouldn't be long before people stop tring to skip it. 10 mins from the sounding of the the alarm should be more then enough. If you start to your cabin when they first anouce that the drill will be starting shortly. Of course the other thing they could do to speed things up is to close all the bars 5 to 10 mins before the start of the drill.

Not only do they make you stand 3 deep, but they early arrivals get pushed back while the later arrivals are in the front. I am short, my kids are short, and I do my best to arrive on time, so why am I stuck in the back where I can't hear, can't see, and presumably would be LAST to get on the lifeboats? Makes no sense.

I know this won't be a popular suggestion, but since the length of time that muster takes sometimes seems to be heavily influenced by people drinking themselves silly the minute they get on the ship, why not cut off drink service thirty minutes before muster? Announce that drink service will resume the minute muster is completed. I bet you'll see people actually waiting by their muster stations well before the appointed time, and the whole thing will be over within about ten minutes.

Better yet, give a free drink of the day coupon to the 3/4 of the people to their muster station.

In an emergency, would people really go to their stateroom, get their lifejackets, and then go to their correct muster station? I think the majority would go to the nearest lifeboat grabbing a lifejacket from a locker on the way. If the emergency was at night, and the ship was listing to one side, a person might not be able to find their muster station.

Princess and Royal check you off a list. I can't remember how NCL did it because it was so long ago. Carnival hasn't checked cabin #'s off a list yet, at least they hadn't when we took our last cruise with them. Your muster station will be in bold letters and numbers on the bottom left of your sail and sign card. If they check your card and you are at the wrong station they will direct you to your muster station.The best station we ever had was on the Carnival Imagination. We sat on the Lido Deck by one of the pools.:D

Back in 1998 and 2000 NCL checked our names off the list. I don't know about now. I have been on 4 Carnival ships since then and never once on Carnival did they check off names. My last cruise was in 2010 though, it may be different now.

My main concern is that I just DO NOT want to the ship to sail until AFTER the muster drill is over. That annoys me.

Well, that and like everyone else has said, waiting on stragglers and people who don't think they have to follow rules like everyone else.

I admit, on our last cruise, we waited until about 10 min after Muster had been announced to leave for our station. Our intention was to be as close to the front as possible because we knew it was going to be hotter than the underside of the Devil's nutsack, no air flow and crowded as heck.

When we asked about an alternative muster station for our son (who has Asperger's and has a very hard time tolerating being shoved up against people, hence our reason for wanting to be in the front) we were told there WASN"T one. Which seemed odd to me but I was too tired to question it (I'd been up since about 1:30 that morning since we had to leave around 2:15 for the drive from Dallas to Galveston). I spent the entire muster drill half asleep and staring at the feet of the guy next to me...he really should not have been allowed to wear flip flops. :-O

I admit, on our last cruise, we waited until about 10 min after Muster had been announced to leave for our station. Our intention was to be as close to the front as possible because we knew it was going to be hotter than the underside of the Devil's nutsack, no air flow and crowded as heck.

When we asked about an alternative muster station for our son (who has Asperger's and has a very hard time tolerating being shoved up against people, hence our reason for wanting to be in the front) we were told there WASN"T one. Which seemed odd to me but I was too tired to question it (I'd been up since about 1:30 that morning since we had to leave around 2:15 for the drive from Dallas to Galveston). I spent the entire muster drill half asleep and staring at the feet of the guy next to me...he really should not have been allowed to wear flip flops. :-O

Next cruise, contact Special Needs. They will put your son and an attendant in a more open area for the muster drill, such as the theater or a lounge.

Copyofth_Carnival-VIFP-Platinum_zps41db4d4e1_zps02e438c7.jpg

Due to 2 major surgeries this year and being treated for 2 other medical conditions (the meds really messed with me) I had to be chair bound for a long time and my leg and back muscles have become so weak I must use a walker, and only within the past 2 weeks has this been done. I have extreme difficulty on inclines and any steps.

My question is, does CCL take this into account for me having to stand with only my walker in the crowded conditions?

On a side note, if we really had an emergency and had to abandon ship that walker would not go with me :-)

Due to 2 major surgeries this year and being treated for 2 other medical conditions (the meds really messed with me) I had to be chair bound for a long time and my leg and back muscles have become so weak I must use a walker, and only within the past 2 weeks has this been done. I have extreme difficulty on inclines and any steps.

My question is, does CCL take this into account for me having to stand with only my walker in the crowded conditions?

On a side note, if we really had an emergency and had to abandon ship that walker would not go with me :-)

Yes, CCL does take that into account, but make sure you get the special requirements paperwork from them and fill it out and send it in. I think it's on their website or you can email the department which I know is listed on the site.

Then ask your stateroom steward where the handicapped muster station is, if they don't know, ask at the desk.

I've cruised with a wheelchair on three different Carnival Ships, one several times, and the handicapped have always been inside, usually a lounge. Also, except on the Dream (where everyone was inside) they took roll of the handicapped passengers supposedly so they know who needs help in an emergency.

JATampa

On my recent Celebrity cruise, I am pretty sure they scanned our cards. They called out a couple of names before we started, to make sure they had everyone. Then our group met in Michael's club. It was much better than standing outside. But I could barely hear the announcements.