Pompeii, Versuvius and herculaneum help

puffy

Cruisemom, Eurco cruiser and all CC members, please help. We are leaving to Rome this coming Sat and get down to last detail. My hubby decide not to do Capri and want to DIY on this 3 place. I know it is very ambitious and if we have to chose, we can skip the herculaneum. But he really wants to see the Pompeii and the mountain. I read the post and get idea how to go to Pompeii, but not to Versuvius. What is the best way to do it. We only have 2 people, private tour is too expensive and not see much in roll call. We will arrive Naples on Aug 8. Can someone have any suggestion how I can do it. Thanks all.

It will be extremely hot so I'd want to climb Vesuvio first thing in the morning.

Taxi (11 Euro for two people) or tram #1 (in the street in front of the cruise port, Euro 1,30 each) to the Circumvesuviana Porta Nolana station on Corso Garibaldi.

Circumvesuviana train from Porta Nolana to Ercolano Scavi (schedule here: http://www.eavcampania.it/web/sites/default/files/ftp_orari_ferroviario/Cx.pdf).

In the piazza in front of the Ercolano Scavi Circumvesuviana station you can get a shared van ride to the base of the crater. They'll drive you there and bring you back, leaving you enough time to climb to the top of the crater, for about 25 Euro per person (this fee includes the park entry charge).

When you return to Ercolano Scavi, take the Circumvesuviana train to Pompei Scavi (same schedule as posted above).

The schedule for the return trains is here: http://www.eavcampania.it/web/sites/default/files/ftp_orari_ferroviario/Cy.pdf

I can tell you right now that there is no way you'll have enough time on a port day to also stop at Herculeneum on the way back. Getting to and climbing Vesuvio will eat up your entire morning, leaving only a few hours in the afternoon for Pompei or Herculeneum, but not both.

Edited by euro cruiser

I thought of one way you might be able to cram all three into one day but it will cost a bit more money.

The fixed fare for a round trip cab ride from the port to Vesuvio is 90 Euro. I'd negotiate with the drivers and find one who will take you on to Pompei for an additional 10 or 20 Euro.

That will save you at least two hours of transit time, and you'd still need to use the Circumvesuviana train to go from Pompei to Ercolano (for Herculeneum) and from Ercolano back to Naples.

I think Pompeii is good to see once. I've been to Herculaneum. If I had to visit either one of these again, it would be Herculaneum. Since we visited Pompeii about 7 years ago, they have moved a lot of the statuary to the Archeological Museum in Naples. Does your husband really want to climb Vesuvius? You can see it from Pompeii.

There is a Viator tour from Naples:

http://www.viator.com/Italy-attractions/Pompeii-tours-tickets/d508-a41?pref=02&aid=g2336

And it's nice to have a guide tell you about life in Pompeii, if that guide is a good one, it makes all the difference.

Have a fun and safe trip.