PG 4/30/05-Any advice appreciated

javafreek

(PS-I'm not lazy, but these posts go on forever and it's hard to find the advice specific to the PG-I've spent hours and my kids miss me)

I know this is very early, but we are cruising for the 1st time on a luxury cruise and would love any advice. Specifically, packing (as minimal as possible), Favorite excursions (if we could only do ONE that isn't free)- and any current info/experience on how to obtain shipboard credit.
Any DON'TS also appreciated!

Sorry you didn't get an answer the first time around, javafreek. You have asked a very general question. I'd suggest reading all the PG reviews you can find to have some idea of what's in store for you, and then just relax and know you're in for a great cruise.

We had heard ahead of time that it was a good idea to bring everything you need, as goods are very expensive in the islands, IF you can find what you want. The ship's store is well-provisioned with the basics, but I would plan to have all the toiletries and film etc that I thought I'd need. Sunscreen is essential.

Dress is casual, so don't bother bringing too much unless having a different outfit every evening is important to you. The ship's laundry is efficient. I ended up living in two different pair of shorts by day and a small assortment of silk slacks and blouses by night.

Bon voyage!

MarnaLou

Thanks, Marna Lou, for your kind response.

I have poured over these boards (very addicting), but I also hoped a current post would be helpful to others as well as myself. Things do tend to change over time and there is not a ton of posts specific to the PG that are within the last 6 mo or so.

Have you checked out the reviews on the Ship review area of Cruise Critic? I think my review has a lot of details. Over the last year, it does not seem like not much has changed on the PG. It is a great trip and the anticipation drove me nuts.....I had dreams about it before the vacation! It's a great trip - you will love it. It's very relaxing and the service, staterooms, food etc are great. I think the PG is a great value for the area. I also think it is a very efficient and pleasant way to see a lot of French Polynesia. 1 year to go - wow! That's a wait!

Todd

[url="http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=1375"]My Review - Click here[/url]

[B]3/15/2003 Paul Gauguin[/B]
[B]11/10/2003 Mariner - Cruising the Chilean Fjords[/B]
[B]4/9/2004 Leaving Lost Wages Land Cruise[/B]
[B]11/12/2004 Mariner - Cruising the Mexican Riviera (MINT Cruise)[/B]
[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0QQDSAlITgHGgHS4TNebZiwW2zdj!x4Gg5fI2JFS2Azp92RMFBi3*kcQOM30x5sRcSWI4ufqvOuEudJQkBCIrq1XFfNTEboWFbPUFE!MxTP0/3.jpg?dc=4675448422710665188[/img]

[B]Cruising Radisson - Where I belong![/B]

[This message was edited by mp8shnt on 04-25-04 at 12:58 AM.]

[This message was edited by mp8shnt on 04-25-04 at 12:59 AM.]

[This message was edited by mp8shnt on 04-25-04 at 01:00 AM.]

Oh not me...the original poster.

Todd
[B]3/15/2003 Paul Gauguin[/B]
[B]11/10/2003 Mariner - Cruising the Chilean Fjords[/B]
[B]4/9/2004 Leaving Lost Wages Land Cruise[/B]
[B]11/12/2004 Mariner - Cruising the Mexican Riviera (MINT Cruise)[/B]
[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0QQDSAlITgHGgHS4TNebZiwW2zdj!x4Gg5fI2JFS2Azp92RMFBi3*kcQOM30x5sRcSWI4ufqvOuEudJQkBCIrq1XFfNTEboWFbPUFE!MxTP0/3.jpg?dc=4675448422710665188[/img]

[B]Cruising Radisson - Where I belong![/B]

Todd's review is very in depth and provided us with a great deal of good information. More recently, I posted a less in-depth review under near the bottom of this page under Back from 13 - 27 March PG. I've tried to post a link here (not sure I did it correctly though). I don believe Marna Lou hit hte packing high points very well.
Greg

[url="http://messages.cruisecritic.com/2/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=927093444&f=797097554&m=64410489"]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/2/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=927093444&f=797097554&m=64410489[/url]

Holy Smokes!!! It works!

USNA72

I am sailing on the PG on May 8th. I wanted to know from anyone if the slot machines are in use. I read somewhere that the PG was sold and that the slots have been opened. I would like to know about the air conditioning on the ship. Do you need a sweater or shawl? The check in time on our documents is 3pm, no earlier...can we board earlier???? Well,in two week we are off for 14 days of sun and relaxation.

Happy Cruiser!
Sovereign of the Seas(cut short)
Majesty of the Seas
Norway
Grandeur of the Seas
Legend of the Seas
Voyager of the Seas

Take a sweater, shawl or jacket. Everyone reacts differently to air conditioning so it's hard to predict for you. I was fine most days and in most areas I did not need anything extra to keep warm but there was the odd time I was glad I had my cardigan with me. I think it depends on how the individual is feeling that day and not so much to do with the ship's regulating of the air conditioning but the public area can be much cooler than your own room that "you" have total control over. I doubt the sale of the P.G. will have any effect as Rad didn't own it they are only managing the ship. I doubt that will change. I liked the Dr. Micheal Poole excursion with the dolphins and if you go on it be sure to attend his lecture on the ship the day before. The only "don't" I would say is to stop worrying and to pack light. You are really going to enjoy this cruise.
Pat

Archived