Dubrovnik-Cable cars to wall walk

Hi

Our family are coming in 2 weeks (cant wait), we are aiming to get a taxi from port (10am) to cable cars first, and then walk down to the Ploce entrance to the walls.

My question is, if walking down towards the town, is this the sea side, ideally would like to walk all around to get the views, but presume it literally goes in a circle and we would end back at Ploce if we did the whole wall, is this correct?

Or perhaps it is best to walk the wall first

Any recommendations would be great

(We also plan to goto Banje Beach)

Edited by San01

If you enter the wall on the east side you will be walking away from the sea since it is a one way walk around the walls. Yes, if you walk the whole wall you will end up where you started. We walked the whole thing and enjoyed it very much. The views were nice from all areas. It is a strenuous walk at times. The only benefit to walking the wall first is that it might be cooler outside. Bring water, a hat and sunglasses if it is going to be sunny. There were a couple of places to get refreshments up on the wall. Enjoy! It was lovely!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi Our family are coming in 2 weeks (cant wait), we are aiming to get a taxi from port (10am) to cable cars first, and then walk down to the Ploce entrance to the walls. My question is, if walking down towards the town, is this the sea side, ideally would like to walk all around to get the views, but presume it literally goes in a circle and we would end back at Ploce if we did the whole wall, is this correct? Or perhaps it is best to walk the wall first. Any recommendations would be great. (We also plan to go to Banje Beach)

You'll really enjoy Dubrovnik, but here are a few added items to consider and cautions to evaluate. Much will depend on how many ships will be in port on the day you are there. Have you checked on your specific date for the number of other ships docked there, number of passengers dumped here on your one day here?? We were fortunate when we visited to be the only large ship in port that day. Weather and crowds affect your options and strategies for enjoying this historic and charming setting.

You could do the cable car up. BUT, there is also the option of taking a "Panorama Tour" by a local taxi. Same great views, but you could work out to see more and have less time waiting in line, etc. See more details on my posting connected below. Walking the wall can be super great, but it might be better in the afternoons if the crowds are too much in the morning.

YES, per buckye82, "bring water, a hat and sunglasses if it is going to be sunny."

Below are a few visuals to help get you excited about visiting this wonderful location. Are they working?

Super loved Dubrovnik!!! See more details and lots of great visual samples/examples at this link. Have had over 22,753 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and dropped by.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 178,666 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

We started in Dubrovnik with a local cab driver who gave us a “panoramic tour”, including crossing their unique bridge near the main cruise ship docking area. He called this bridge their “Golden Gate” like in San Francisco. It is nine years old. Then we drove up and up through narrow twisting roads to the high point overlooking Dubrovnik and near the cable car high station. From this point, we could also see part of Bosnia and and Montenegro. The “super star” view was down below with this angle of the harbor and walled city. Beautiful!!!:

2DubrOverallHighViewOne.jpg

This is Dubrovnik’s Pile Gate as the grand western entrance to the walled city. It was constructed in 1537. As you go through the gate, look for the statue of St. Blaise, the city's patron saint,. There is an inner gate, which is even older and was built in 1460. Entering the city this way, you see the surrounding fortifications hiding the buildings inside. There is a drawbridge fronting the Pile Gate that was once lifted each evening. From this location, you can get a cab that will take you back to the port and your ship. Sharing the cab, makes it nice and affordable.:

DubPileGate2Enter.jpg

Here is the view of the Cable Car going down from the high point over Dubrovnik with interesting areas and islands west of the city shown. This cable car has been re-built since the early 1990’s war years. It’s a dramatic coastline with great views here!:

4DubrCableCarWaterIslands.jpg

This is a view of the historic Dubrovnik wall at an upward and outward point built on top of the rocks and where it overlooks the Adriatic Sea. Walking this wall is a wonderful and unique way to sample and see up close and personal what makes this city so special.:

DubrovWallWaterViews.jpg

This is the Stradun or Placa, a 300 meter-long, limestone-paved, pedestrian main shopping street of Dubrovnik. Here is the view as it stretches through the walled town in the east-west direction, connecting the western entrance called the Pile Gate to the Ploce Gate on the eastern end. Stradun became the city's main thoroughfare in the 13th century and its current appearance was mostly created following the 1667 earthquake which destroyed most of the buildings. Both ends are also marked with 15th-century fountains (Onofrio's Large Fountain in the western section and Onofrio's Small Fountain on the east end. There are also bell towers (the Dubrovnik Bell Tower to the west end and the bell tower attached to the Franciscan monastery to the east). The buildings along this way all have shutter painted in the same color. The Stradun and some of the surrounding houses were damaged in mortar shelling during the Siege of Dubrovnik in 1991–92 but most of the damage has been repaired. When you look at the tile roofs, you can see the difference between the older and newer based on that battle damage. Don’t miss walking the wall in this great town.

3DubrMainStreet2Tower.jpg

Here is Fort Lovrijenac or St. Lawrence Fortress. It is often called "Dubrovnik's Gibraltar" for the fortress and theater located outside the western wall of Dubrovnik. It is famous for its importance in resisting rule by Venice. Early in the 11th century the Venetians attempted to build a fort on the same spot where Fort Lovrijenac currently stands. If they had succeeded, they would have kept Dubrovnik under their power, but the people of the city beat them to it.

DubrovFortStLawrence_zpsa40c675c.jpg

Edited by TLCOhio

Great photos.

I agree with getting the taxi tour.

That's what we did recently.

To get a taxi to the cable car costs 15 Euro (per taxi). The cable car to the top costs 100kr (15 Euro)pp.

The 1hr taxi tour costs 60Euro per taxi. The driver took us over the new bridge for some photos then to the top of the hill (where the cable car goes) thus saving 60Euro- for 4 of us. So in actual fact the tour was free. :D

Plus if you don't get off the ship straight away you risk at least a half hour wait. It can be the same coming down if you get a few groups.

Our driver stopped before we got to the top for photos, and the angle and viewsw were actually better than the top. After we visited the top he dropped us down at the front gate.

I think we chose the best option.

You can get a taxi back to the ship, or the local bus is cheap. We were there until 11pm so some people got a day pass and went back in after dinner.

Edited by sayaguru

Great photos. I agree with getting the taxi tour. That's what we did recently. I think we chose the best option. You can get a taxi back to the ship, or the local bus is cheap. We were there until 11pm so some people got a day pass and went back in after dinner.

Appreciate your kind mention on my visuals and especially your very current update confirming the wisdom for doing the "Panorama Tour". Glad that things worked so well during your visit to this amazing city. And if your group is two couples, as was ours, that pricing for a taxi, both on this tour and returning to the ship, works very well with good economics.

Back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 68,592 views for this fun posting.

• 2 weeks later...

Is this "Panorama Tour" something provided by a specific taxi company or will the cab drivers know what I'm talking about if I ask for it? The views look amazing! It sounds like you didn't take the cable car down, is that correct?

I'm planning to tour Dubrovnik DIY and I'm a little concerned about attempting to walk the wall since I have severe arthritis in one of my knees. Is it worth it to walk a portion of the wall and, if so, where to start and end that would be easiest on the knees? :o

Thanks!

The tour price and taxi far is written in HUGE writing on the wall at the port so I assume all the drivers do it.

We didn't get the cable car down. The tour was taking us up in the car, then down and back to town.

If you got the cable car down it would cost you 50K each. It's 100K return.

The tour saves you this cost.

So if there are 4 of you you actually get the tour and up the hill for the cost of what the cable car would cost you. So you'd pay the transfers plus the cable car so would in the end be more expensive.

Once you climb up the steps to get to the wall a lot of it is easy walking. There is a part where you have a few steps. Sorry I didn't do the wall this time so can't remember exactly what section that is. Just ask when you get there.

You can enter the city wall at the main entrance, closest to the Pile gate entrance. There are 87 steps to reach the top. Once up there, it is only walked counter clockwise and that will take you to the sea side, which does have the least amount of steps but there are still many. Once up on the wall there is NO way down until you reach the half way point at the old port. The rest of the wall has the majority of the 1,080 total steps which are spread throughout the wall. Good luck!

Edited by Dubrovniktravelady

The tour price and taxi far is written in HUGE writing on the wall at the port so I assume all the drivers do it.

We didn't get the cable car down. The tour was taking us up in the car, then down and back to town.

If you got the cable car down it would cost you 50K each. It's 100K return.

The tour saves you this cost.

So if there are 4 of you you actually get the tour and up the hill for the cost of what the cable car would cost you. So you'd pay the transfers plus the cable car so would in the end be more expensive.

Once you climb up the steps to get to the wall a lot of it is easy walking. There is a part where you have a few steps. Sorry I didn't do the wall this time so can't remember exactly what section that is. Just ask when you get there.

Thank you--that's very helpful.

You can enter the city wall at the main entrance, closest to the Pile gate entrance. There are 87 steps to reach the top. Once up there, it is only walked counter clockwise and that will take you to the sea side, which does have the least amount of steps but there are still many. Once up on the wall there is NO way down until you reach the half way point at the old port. The rest of the wall has the majority of the 1,080 total steps which are spread throughout the wall. Good luck!

Thank you! If I were to do the taxi tour, I assume I would then ask the driver to drop me near the Pile gate...?

Thank you! If I were to do the taxi tour, I assume I would then ask the driver to drop me near the Pile gate...?

YES!! That is where they drop you. Very handy and easy.

Super loved Dubrovnik!!! See more details and lots of great visual samples/examples at this link. Have had over 23,450 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and dropped by.

YES!! That is where they drop you. Very handy and easy.

Super loved Dubrovnik!!! See more details and lots of great visual samples/examples at this link. Have had over 23,450 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and dropped by.

Thank you for the confirmation, Terry. :)