Our review of Cozumel and Eagle Ray Divers

taillon

We were in Cozumel last week and had a great time!

We got off the ship that morning quickly and went over the road and to the nearest taxi. It cost us $8 to go to the marina where Eagle Ray Divers are located. There we were fitted with all the snorkel equipment and Antonio went to go get some Cokes, water, and Cornonas. We only had to wait a few minutes for the others to arrive (we got there too early anyway). Our guide was Bernardo and the driver was Luis. We did the two reef snorkel...I am glad we didn't choose the three reef because the four of us were exhausted after the two. Plus my oldest son and I were a little sea sick from floating along the water I guess.

Bernardo was very informative. He pointed out many kinds of fish and he even brough up a sea urchin and a starfish. We saw a barracuda, sting ray, lobsters, moray eels and so many bright colorful fish. It was awesome! My boys loved this excursion...coolest thing they had ever seen!

After the two reefs, all 10 people on board were tired and we headed in. Bernardo got us a cab back to Punta Langosta. We headed back to the ship to shower and change. Thirty minutes later we were shopping! We had a quick bite at Carlos and Charlies (what a wild place!!!!!). We did a little more shopping and headed back to the ship!

It was a great time! Feel free to ask any questions!

• 3 weeks later...
Brett, how do I find this tour excursion, sounds perfect for the group of 15 I have. Joy

ScubaMare answered your question. Enjoy your trip...You will love Eagleray and Cozumel....it was just soooo beautiful!!! We still haven't had our underwater pics developed.....I need to do that soon!!

The last time we were in Cozumel, we snorkeled with Eagle Ray Divers. We will be back with them again for the next trip. There were eight of us on the trip, my family of four and another family of four. The majority of us snorkeled, and we had one diver.

I have taken snorkeling trips on many occasions, St. Johns, St. Maarten, Hawaii etc., but I really the Eagle Ray trip is one of my favorites. Chele (sp?) was our guide and we saw things I never would have seen, had someone not been with us.

An enjoyable experience that I would recommend again!!

I used the reservation form on their website and it took over 2 weeks for Chellie to reply. Unforunately I already put a deposit down on another snorkel trip out of Palm Beach that another poster raved about. So I guess I'll have to wait til my next trip to Cozumel to experience Eagle Ray.

I originally sent the reservation form on 8/9, I believe and received the reply this evening. I got another reply almost immediately when I wrote to say I wouldn't be going. It was more "sorry you won't be joining us" than "sorry we took so long to reply." I guess that's the way they do business. So at least you know it takes a while to get a respone.

Cruise Pup-When did you experience this problem? My husband & I really want to use ERD & do the 'Discover Scuba' class. I emailed w/reservation form on the 23rd...then sent an email direct to Chellie yesterday (26th)-still haven't heard back...

Email can be problematic on Cozumel. Also, spam filtering can cause problems. They address this on their website: http://eagleraydivers.com/Contact.htm

Try sending them another email.

I hate to make comments about other options on threads discussing a particular company but since there was talk of difficulties with communicating with Eagle Ray, I would like to recommend Mystic Snorkel. Roswitha Flury was ALWAYS prompt in responding to my emails and I sent several. It was never more than a day or two before I heard from her. Her email address is kuda1@hotmail.com. You can see my review on Mystic on this forum, "A Perfect Day in Cozumel". I have heard good things about Eagle Ray but I felt a lot more secure about the situation knowing I could contact Rosi with questions at any time and get a prompt response. And the excursion was fabulous!

Donna

Magic City Cruiser,

I know what you mean...I still am holding out hope for ERD. It's a shame about the communication problem. I guess we're just so used to immediate use of email that it seems an inconvenience to deal w/slow email. I just keep reminding myself to give them time...everyone has had such good reviews. Mystic Snorkel...do they do SCUBA excursions? Or am I guessing from their name-it's just snorkeling?

Love2cruisegirl, I'm not sure what the problem is with ERD's e-mail. I got a note from Chellie this a.m. I'll see if I can reach her by phone for you since I have a special rate to Mexico due to our frequent visits to the island.

I am really glad you wrote this review, becuase I was contemplating very seriously on doing the three stop snorkel with Eagle Ray.

Which two reefs did you go on?

I know I should know the names of the reefs but seriously I can't remember. When you do the two reefs you don't go to far away from the marina. The first area we went to was just a short boat ride...water was probably 15 or 20 ft deep. So beautiful!!! Then we got back into the boat and went a little further down the beach line....this time part of it we were in more shallow water. It was all so pretty. I am sure others can handle the three reefs...I know you get lunch with that one too...but for us it would have been too much. I have no idea why floating on top of the water would wear us out but it sure did...not just my family but all of the snorkelers in our group.

As far as people trying to contact ERD...I would say just to keep trying and make sure you add them to your address book in your email so that your computer doesn't consider them spam and junk it for you...or like they say use an online email like hotmail or yahoo but still check your check mail folder for their answer.

Magic City Cruiser,

I know what you mean...I still am holding out hope for ERD. It's a shame about the communication problem. I guess we're just so used to immediate use of email that it seems an inconvenience to deal w/slow email. I just keep reminding myself to give them time...everyone has had such good reviews. Mystic Snorkel...do they do SCUBA excursions? Or am I guessing from their name-it's just snorkeling?

Just want to ditto the comments that ERD is very, very good; but that email replies can be slow (sometimes weeks). Both my family and others especially appreciate the personal attention and caring; I've never heard of a crowded boat.

I find that being a "squeaky wheel" is helpful.. i.e. send an email every 3-5 days reminding that you are awaiting a reply. All this assumes you are not AOL user. If AOL, you need to get a temporary Yahoo or Hotmail address.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm still waiting for a reply-I'm not AOL...have got Chellie on my email address listing...haven't had any problems with our other reservation replies not coming through. It's such a shame for ERD...I went back and read some of the reviews done of ERD. Same story over & over...(like you said sdf89)-they're a great outfit to dive/snorkel/etc. with but when it comes to quick, timely responses-forget it. I think maybe their positive aspects are allowing for some of the negative. They're a smaller operation-give more individualized attention-therefore, they don't necessarily have the man power to handle all the inquiries that are incoming. I guess for them it's a good problem to have.

Love2cruisegirl, I contacted Chellie for you and, although she is out of town today, she told me she answered all of her e-mail that was in her inbox on Saturday. There seems to be a disconnect somewhere. Chellie is usually GREAT about replying within 24 to 48 hours of a received message -- as long as she's not having internet or e-mail issues.

ScubaMare-Thanks so much for your friendliness & help. I actually tagged my emails so I know they were received & opened at ERD. Go figure-I don't have AOL & I placed their email addresses in my address book & checked all my filters prior to sending out the emails (especially since I've been emailing & booking for our entire week). Even folks who've gone w/ERD before have commented that their response is slow. I guess it's hit or miss. Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I have gone ahead & made other arrangements (which took only 30 minutes start-to-finish) w/ShoreTrips using Aqua Safari as the provider. The Frommer's Guide to Caribbean Ports lists Aqua Safari as one of the leading scuba providers. ShoreTrips was MORE than helpful-and as it turns out, someone else from our Roll Call had already booked thru them & so we'll know someone in our Discover Scuba class.

Thanks taillon for your review-so sorry the topic got off hand re: my complications w/ERD. I hope I have a great experience in Coz. as you did w/ERD.

I use ERD every time I am in Cozumel, they are excellent folks, more like family, and the only time I had a delay in communication was after the hurricane hit Cozumel. I agree with the above post, may be spam filter. Hope it all works out for you.

Archived