Wilden Mann hotel in Lucerne, comments please.

Viktoria

Doing a cruise extension from Uniworld Rhine river cruise to Lucerne for 2 nights and 3 days. We took the extension before we realized the price. The extension for 2 is $2000 and includes a full day tour with a lake cruise. For that price I would expect we are staying in a palace. Has anyone stayed at Wilden Mann?Excursion also includes transfers from Basel and back. A full buffet breakfast is also included.

I was a bit shocked at the price of the Lucerne stay. However, no hassles when going with Uniworld..

Did it on our own last year before the Rhone cruise in Aux-en-Provnence.

Worked out, but have to do it all the planning and can be a bit daunting.

Switzerland is very very expensive...the hotel is sold out...my thought is just to go with the extra $$ and not worry. Check out trip advisor...hotel gets great reviews..great location....Maybe next time will do on our own again, but this year we treated ourselves...;)

Rick

We stayed at Wilden Mann several years ago. Very nice accommodations. Like many hotels in that part of Europe, though, I don't believe there's AC. We stayed in the fall, so it wasn't an issue. But just something to be aware of, in case you're traveling in warmer weather.

Spent two weeks in Switzerland last year, including several days in Luzern. If you get a chance, go to the TI (located off track 3 in the train station) and purchase the Golden Round trip to Pilatus. This includes a boat trip (which leaves from in front of the train station) to Alpnachstad, where you catch a cogwheel train up to the top of Mt. Pilatus. After hiking some of the trails, you will take a gondola down to Kriens and bus #1 back to Luzern. An excellent day!

We just returned a few weeks ago and stayed at the Wilden Mann on the very expensive Uniworld extension.. There is no AC so be aware of this. It wasn't a problem but it's a wonderful location but lots of street noise. We booked the ext. even though a bit expensive but I think for us it was worth it. We liked the room large bathroom . Good breakfast nice selection.the Uniworld guide kathleen was exceptional. We took the optional Mt Pilitis tour very enjoyable. The ext. included a walking tour and cruise on the Lake. For us it was a hassle free two days worth the money..

Did not realize you had a full cruise description in other threads. Guess the only question is which of the Strasbourg excursions did you prefer? The walk or the canal? thanks..

Rick

Rick, loved Strasbourg. We took the canal trip but we had enough time to sit at a cafe have a local beer and do some shopping.

Recommendation when you are staying in Lucerne. If you walk from your Hotel to the river (very close) on the river there is a pizza restaurant . Flat bread Swiss style sour cream and onion base and you add what you want on the flat bread. really delicious.. Please if there are other questions just ask.. Lucerne is just so lovely...

Just curious about the weather in Lucerne. According to weather.com the rain seems to be a mainstay in Lucerne!! Everyday, or so it seems, rain is predicted.

Is that just an off and on rain? An expected rain that is just part of the climate there? Hate to spend all that money for a few days in a downpour!!

thanks

Rick

Rick, I drove myself crazy before our trip checking the weather each day. I did take an umbrella and a waterproof rain jacket. If I remember we had a few showers in Lucerne and the day we went to Mt Pilitis was overcast and cloudy. The first day in Lucerne was very warm too hot for a two hr walking tour. We loved the tour but it wasn't enjoyable walking in the heat. We informed our Uniworld guide Kathleen that that they booked too many activities for our first day..we didn't check into our room until 5 0'clock.. We departed ship and it was about an hr from Basel to Lucerne. Walking tour, cruise on the Lake too much for one day! Lucerne is just so lovely but I wish we could have stayed an extra day? Enjoy....

We didn't stay at Wilden Mann when in beautiful Lucerne last year but did have dinner there. This was the best dinner we enjoyed in Switzerland. We had wanted a place with 'traditional' Swiss food and this was that but also had some more contemporary innovations. Excellent service and rösti that I still dream of. I'd say this is a 'don't miss.' There are many other choices in Lucerne including lots of casual places in the train station. Enjoy!