Carnival valor south caribean cruise

Joyroyle

hi. we are going to barbados where we stay for a week, then on the valor going to st lucia, st kitts, st maarten, san juan and st thomas.

never been before so and ideas for what not to miss. also what is the best currency to take to barbados

thanks joy

All the Caribbean countries are happy with US money.

In St. Lucia I can recommend Cosol Tours very highly! They are a fantastic way to see St. Lucia!!!! They said the tour would be about 6 hours but ours was a fantastic 7+. It seems at every stop there was free soda, water or rum punch. And a stop for native breakfast type food. I could not tell you how many different foods were there, there were so many and so good. Part of the tour was by boat to a beach at the base of the Pitons for about an hour. I could go on and on about our tour but do a search here for St. Lucia and Cosol Tours. Forget the cost but it was worth every penny and Baptist, our guide, was wonderful!

In St. Maartin go to Maho Beach. This is where planes literally land right over your head! The big commercial planes star landing around noon. The Sunset Bar & Grill is there and they list the time planes will arrive.

In San Juan go to El Moro. This is the huge fort at he mouth of the harbor. It was built in the 1500's and is something to see. When you get off the ship turn left and go to the far corner. This is where there is an open air bus that will take you right up to the door of the fort. But you might have to wait a while for it to get there. If you go by cab or the big, free bus you get here, it is a long walk up to the fort. This corner is where you can get the two different buses which are free and you can get on and off at any bus stop.

You can Google the tours and places I've mentioned,

Edited by Bonnie J.

Highly recommend Cosol Tours also. One other drink available complimentary is locally brewed beer. Really good too.

Maho beach in St. Maarten is highly overrated. Best is an island tour that shows you both the french and dutch sides, with a nice stop at markets and Orient beach, by far the best beach on the island.

Island tour is St. Kitts was very nice too.

In St Thomas, there is good shopping in Havensight right where the ship docks, and short cab ride to Megans Bay beach is really nice. Bring your ship towel with you and enjoy some nice drinks brought to you right on the beach. Lots of cabs there to get you back to the ship on time.

In San Juan we enjoyed El Moro and a tour of the Bacardi rum factory.

You will love this cruise. We did the same one last September. Awesome time.

If you have enough time in St. Thomas, forget Magen's Bay, and go to St. John...the beaches are pristine and the most beautiful I've ever seen. You need a full day, as there is a ferry ride to the island, and then transport to the beach. If you decide to do it, it's easiest to do a ship's excursion there...they take care of all the transportation issues. But, it's so worth it!

If you have enough time in St. Thomas, forget Magen's Bay, and go to St. John...the beaches are pristine and the most beautiful I've ever seen. You need a full day, as there is a ferry ride to the island, and then transport to the beach. If you decide to do it, it's easiest to do a ship's excursion there...they take care of all the transportation issues. But, it's so worth it!

I know what you mean CB, but when I was on this cruise there really was not enough time to make going to St John worthwhile.You would spend most of it travelling and very little time on the beach