Help with cabin selection on Star

jealdaka

I put this on the cabin selection board too but thought I might get more traffic here. We have a BB, port side on Star but are thinking of upgrading to an AF mini suite. I'm just not sure what the full difference is. Is it worth much more?

Some BB balconies are supposed to be 37 sf and some are 54 sf. I can't find which is which. Do any of you know?

Thanks for any help!

I put this on the cabin selection board too but thought I might get more traffic here. We have a BB, port side on Star but are thinking of upgrading to an AF mini suite. I'm just not sure what the full difference is. Is it worth much more?

Some BB balconies are supposed to be 37 sf and some are 54 sf. I can't find which is which. Do any of you know?

Thanks for any help!

Can't help you with the BB balconies, but I've got some pictures of our mini-suite on the Star. Take a look.

Guess it depends on your outlook. I started out booking a BB, but upsold to the AF. Mini-suite locations are better, staterooms are larger, has the tub/shower combo, have the clear balconies other than the steel hulled ones. Price was actually only $75 total more than what I had booked the lower cetegory for.

Thanks for any help!

If I remember correctly, the larger balconies are on the 11th floor and mid-ship.

Guess it depends on your outlook. I started out booking a BB, but upsold to the AF. Mini-suite locations are better, staterooms are larger, has the tub/shower combo, have the clear balconies other than the steel hulled ones. Price was actually only $75 total more than what I had booked the lower cetegory for.

We have had both BA and BB balconies and loved them. You really do not spend much time in them so size wasn't that important. We had cabins on the port side near the front elevators. All BA & BB cabins along the sides have clear balconies and not steel hulled. (Steel hulls are only on front and rear of ship)

It is like Seattle Cruiselover said, the upgrades are basically the tub/shower combo and a little more space.

Here' a breakdown:

Major differences - space, bathtub, Concierge, Separated Bedroom with a curtain if more then two sharing the cabin.

BA

Cabin 11616

Private Balcony (1)

Convertible Lower Beds (2)

Convertible Single Sofa Bed (1)

Balcony Square Footage (54)

Cabin Square Footage (166)

Oceanview Stateroom

Sitting Area

Floor to ceiling sliding glass doors (1)

Shower (1)

Midship Section

Port Side

Duvet

Refrigerator (1)

Hair Dryer (1)

Telephone (1)

Safety Deposit Box (1)

Television (1)

Crib (1)

Pier aft

Sprinklers

AF

Cabin 11068

Crib (1)

Convertible Double Sofa Bed (1)

Midship Section

Starboard Side

Concierge

Separated Bedroom with a curtain (1)

Floor to ceiling sliding glass doors (1)

Private Balcony (1)

Bathtub (1)

Convertible Lower Beds (2)

Balcony Square Footage (54)

Oceanview Stateroom

Sitting Area

Duvet

Refrigerator (1)

Hair Dryer (1)

Telephone (1)

Safety Deposit Box (1)

Television (1)

Cabin Square Footage (229)

Pier forward

Sprinklers

Shower (1)

The mini-suites are located on Deck 11. On most ships the balconies are the same size and flushed. But if you look at the pictures of the Star you will see that Deck 11 actually juts out approx. 1.5 feet beyond the lower floors. As a result those balconies are larger (54sqft vs 37).

If you look at the floor plan, there are 8 BA cabins located on Deck 11 (11612,11616,11618,11620,11112,11116,11118 and 11120). Although the cabins themselves are smaller, their balcony will be the same size as the mini suites.

The rest of the balcony cabins located on Decks 10, 9 and 8 are the same size.

We had Cruise Critic friend in an AF on the STAR in April and they were able to get us a few extra priority tender tickets from their conceirge.

:D

Interesting! We just got off the Star, my parents had an AF and asked for priority tender tickets... No Go, not available. No problem though, my husband and I had a penthouse and requested more tickets thru that avenue. My mom is a stick with the rules kind of person though and wanted to try to get them from their concierge. This is probably one of those things where some concierges do it and others don't.

Interesting! We just got off the Star, my parents had an AF and asked for priority tender tickets... No Go, not available. No problem though, my husband and I had a penthouse and requested more tickets thru that avenue. My mom is a stick with the rules kind of person though and wanted to try to get them from their concierge. This is probably one of those things where some concierges do it and others don't.

We had a BB and inside cabins on the Star a couple of weeks ago and got priority tender tickets from the Port and Cruise Consultants because we had spoken to them about places to shop. There were 17 of us and I know of at least a couple of other rooms that got priority tickets that way.

Your pics. were great. We're going on the Star in Nov. & assigned to Deck 11 Mini Suite. Were you in the Aft (back?) or front of the ship, which side (not sure what to call the right & left)? Also, did you bring extra hangers or are there enough? Thanks for help. Ellen

Also, did you bring extra hangers or are there enough?

I like to pack my clothes on the wire hangers that you get from the dry cleaners. They don't take up much space and make unpacking a breeze. If you do need extra hangers your cabin steward can get you some. I think we had about 15 of the wooden hangers in the closet when we arrived.

Your pics. were great. We're going on the Star in Nov. & assigned to Deck 11 Mini Suite. Were you in the Aft (back?) or front of the ship, which side (not sure what to call the right & left)? Also, did you bring extra hangers or are there enough? Thanks for help. Ellen

We were in 11556 which was on the port (left) side about the 15th cabin from the front. We did bring a few extra wire hangers that we used then just left them in the closet at the end of our cruise.

Archived