Oops! another Star question- formal attire?

jealdaka

On the Sun it was 4-50% in real formal wear such as tuxes, black suits, evening gowns, etc. On the Star to Mexico I didn't see one tux and very few evening gowns. This was the first time we didn't take formal wear and it was great!! I like to dress up- but it was so much easier not lugging that stuff around. Hubby wore a nice shirt, tie, and dress slacks and I wore a nice dress with wedge sandals on "formal night". We might have been one of the dressier couples on this particular cruise- BUT- I saw very few people in super casual clothes for dinner. Mostly nice shirts and dockers and sundresses or capris on the ladies.

I can't imagine ever hauling out the formal wear again. Time for a cocktail dress/ evening gown blowout sale at my house:D

We were on the Star in late July to Alaska. I agree that it was never more than 50% if that, even on the optional formal night which was Monday/Lobster tail night.

I did see a few people dressed up each night but most of those were getting pictures taken.

Of course, I found that the Star usually didn't even enforce the Resort Casual requirement in the Main Restaurants. Yes, signs were posted at the entrances, but no one that I know of was ever turned away. Even on formal night, I saw people in the main dining rooms in t-shirts, jeans, warm-ups, jerseys, etc. One whole family was paraded through the dining room to their table. The wife had on a t-shirt and warm-up bottoms, the sons had t-shirts and BLUE JEANS (one of which had torn knees) and the father was in a sweatsuit. That is just one example of what we saw every night. I had friends with us who I had briefed on the dress code, and they had packed to specifically be in adherance but it is hard to look at them when they ask why I so emphaized a resort casual dress when the maitre'd's did not enforce it.

Archived