Diamond June 28 Venice to Rome

JPR

Anyone else going on this cruise? Includes Dubrovnik, Taormina (Mt. Etna) and Sorrento (Capri and the Amalfi Coast). We are staying for two nights pre-cruise on our own, at the Sheraton Des Bains (Thomas Mann's "Death in Venice" setting) on the Lido, and post-cruise at the Cavalieri Hilton overlooking Rome.

Sure. Which excursions did you take, and what did you think of them? Did you do any private excursions instead? How many formal nights on this cruise?

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry for my tardy reply to your questions, jpr. We took the Old Town excursion in Dubrovnik. It was so-so, but we weren't too impressed with our guide. In Taormina, the Mt. Etna tour was ok, but again the guide wasn't very informative. Dropped us off on top of the mountain and let us walk around on our own. Very windy and cool in mid-October. Our stop in Sorrento was beautiful. We were unable to get to Pompeii or Herculaneum (sp) due to a mudslide, but did make it to the webcam. We were on the Song of Flower and had 2 formal nights. Most 7 days cruises do have 2 formals, but who knows till your get your documents, and sometimes they change after you get onboard.

I would go on this cruise again in a heartbeat.

Enjoy, Beth

Hi jpr,

You could walk around Old Town Duborvnik and enjoy the sites. For some reason, the huge crowds I hear about on Capri just didn't appeal to me. It was rainy and drizzly, so glad we didn't go. Would love to catch it on a light day, but guess the beauty attracts eveyone.

Read some of the threads in the Port of Call section of CC. Maybe someone there can give you more Capri information.

Hope you have a great cruise,
Beth

Archived