NYC hotel for a New Yorker!

L-in-CLT

Need a great hotel recommendation....My husband was born in Queens and grew up in Yonkers but has never stayed in a hotel in the city. I have been a few times but won't pretend to even remotely be an expert. I've been gravitating to midtown hotels because it's what I know having been the tourist many times :). We will be there in January for a few days before cruising on the Breakaway. Looking for a 4 star+ hotel, preferably with a view. What hotel will strike a chord for my NY State of Mind guy?

Thanks!

L

First thing that pops into my mind is Midtown East. Lexington around 50th.

The Marriott East Side has rooms on the upper floors with views down Lexington, including the Chrysler Building, and with a little luck, the Empire State Building. 2nd Avenue is a New York neighborhood; lots of neighborhood restaurants, grocers, bodegas, etc. It's a totally different feel from the Times Square area, but you're close to everything Midtown has to offer.

There are others in the area. I'm a Starwood guy, so I gravitate to the W New York, but it doesn't have the view. There's a Hyatt, Doubletree, and of course the Waldorf within 2-3 blocks. The Waldorf and the Marriott probably have the highest floors and best views.

Second thought would be the Downtown area. There's a W and a Marriott almost adjacent to the WTC site, with pretty good views in one or more directions of Battery Park, the Hudson, or the Financial District. But that's not so much of a neighborhood at night.

First thoughts that pop into my mind. Not a New Yorker, but we visit as often as we can...

When you say something with a view what kind of view do you want? Of the city, the river, bridges, Central Park, the harbor?

As a New Yorker, speaking only for myself, if I was going to stay somewhere in the city it would NOT be Times Square, I would definitely go for something downtown like the Standard (views of the Hudson and the High Line since it sits right on top of it) or maybe even the Gansevoort. Those two spots are pretty high on the trendy scale so you would need to take that into consideration before booking. For something more traditional the Ritz in Battery Park City would be it with fabulous views of the Statue of Liberty and the entire harbor.

For the best Central Park views the Mandarin Oriental at the Time Warner Center can not be beat.

If you want to look at the city, which is quite nice from across the river, I would recommended hotels in Long Island City, Queens or anywhere in downtown Brooklyn.

Here's a link to a top 10 list of hotels with the "best view"

http://www.newyork.com/articles/hotels/10-hotels-with-the-best-views-84981/

Edited by x lindsay x

Here's a link to a top 10 list of hotels with the "best view"http://www.newyork.com/articles/hotels/10-hotels-with-the-best-views-84981/

I have to go with the Ritz Carlton New York Battery Park. As a Brooklynite I've stayed in a Hotel in NYC one night in 1995 on my wedding night at the St. Regis but that has no view. My Uncle stayed at the Ritz Battery park in the "Premier Liberty View Suite" has the Statue of Liberty out one window and all of NYC view up the Hudson out the other, a corner room (there are others without the corner). Cost is at least $500 a night I think then throw in club access for another $90...

Anyway he is a CEO of a large company and I'm sure it was on an expense account ;)

Good Luck

• 2 months later...
Standard (views of the Hudson and the High Line since it sits right on top of it)

Ok I'll bite. I have lived in NYC all my life but what is the "High Line"?

I looked on wiki: The High Line (also known as the High Line Park) is a 1.45-mile-long (2.33 km) New York City linear park built on a section of a disused New York Central Railroad spur called the West Side Line.[1] Inspired by the 3-mile (4.8-kilometer) Promenade plantée, a similar project in Paris completed in 1993, the High Line has been redesigned and planted as an aerial greenway and rails-to-trails park.[2][3]

The High Line Park uses the disused southern portion of the West Side Line running to the Lower West Side of Manhattan. It runs from Gansevoort Street – three blocks below 14th Street – in the Meatpacking District, through Chelsea, to the northern edge of the West Side Yard on 34th Street near the Javits Convention Center. An unopened spur extends above 30th Street to Tenth Avenue.[4] Formerly, the High Line went as far south as a railroad terminal to Spring Street just north of Canal Street, but the lower section was demolished in 1960.[5]

Repurposing of the railway into an urban park began construction in 2006,[6][7] with the first phase opening in 2009[8] and the second phase opening in 2011.[9][10][11][12] The third and final phase officially opened to the public September 21, 2014, except for a short stub above Tenth Avenue and 30th Street, which opens in 2015.[13] The project has spurred real estate development in the neighborhoods which lie along the line.[14] The park is extremely popular; as of September 2014, the park gets nearly 5 million visitors annually.[15]