I wish to post a review but Riviera Cruises does not show on the available list?

Fleetcat

Hi

I hope I'm not being stupid but I can't see an option to post reviews of Riviera cruises.

We have just had a horrific cruise on the new William Shakespeare and would like to get a warning out to folk considering this however neither Riviera or the ship are showing as options for a review. Can these be added? Thanks in anticipation.

I just looked up the company and boat. Boat is brand new.... All sounds good. Was the issue the weather and high/low water ??? As there are some trips just recently that did not turn out well due to low water and a broken lock.

From the looks of the website does this line cater to UK cruisers?

PS your profile gives no idea where you are from??

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by nana541

Review of the William Shakespeare

This is our first ever river cruise.

First Impressions

We travelled independently so on the morning of day of embarkation took the opportunity to suss the ship early – mainly to find out where it was docked for our taxi driver. We walked past an Avalon ship (lovely), a Viking ship (lovely with balconies) then we dismissed the third ship as it looked less modern – mostly because it is painted in a dull maroon and off white - yes this was the William Shakespeare.

Later in the cruise we were passed by the Lord Byron – another Riviera ship - and it is a far prettier ship if these things are important to you.

Onboard

The cabin, while small is perfectly formed and the sliding window rather than a balcony (previously perceived disadvantage) is just a brilliant idea. It makes the whole space feel a little inside outside and having everything open while lying in bed is just special. Cruise ships could learn a lot from this.

There is nothing apparently amazing about the bed or the pillows but we are sleeping like babies. Maybe it is because we are eating so little?

The bathroom is fit for purpose and the shower is great. Lovely hot water with good pressure.

The thing that is required to make the cabin is either a fridge or a minibar. I can guess at why this is the case but as the ship does not offer room service it is a huge mark down.

The lounge is fine. Slightly lacking in atmosphere but OK.

I will come back to the dining room…..

Entertainment

Lovely pianist. That’s it. Lovely pianist.

Itinerary.

First day in Koplenz and Boppard was fabulous and lulled us into a false sense of security as, at today, we peaked on day one. Rudesheim was a bit like Blackpool and Cochen not much better. It is the German holiday but neither were sophisticated offerings and really didn’t have much to offer. This is a bit frustrating as we have passed some pretty places (with piers) which looked much more like the real Rhine/Moselle. A day of cruising was rendered completely pointless by the roof terrace being closed due to low bridges. I didn’t take the time to count these but really? Like most things on this cruise I reckon this was done for the convenience of the staff rather than the passengers. The following day we were bussed to Trier which was a good stop – albeit not via the river. We did not take part in any of the guided tours.

Service

A very mixed bag. A couple of superstars – the bar waitress (sic) and our room attendant – who cannot be faulted. Then there are the ones who can be good but get a bit stressed and if busy go from good to average and indeed poor. Then there are some who are simply dead behind the eyes. I have never seen this on a cruise ship before.

It does not feel like a happy ship. One night in the dining room we were sitting near the kitchen and clearly there were significant arguments going on. All the waiting staff emerged with tight faces and all were immensely hassled that evening.

Dining room.

Or as we call it ‘The Canteen’. Enough said?

Food

I will state at the outset that we are picky eaters and accustomed to good food. We eat for pleasure and it is a huge part of any holiday for us.

The description of the food on the William Shakespeare in its brochure is ‘exquisite’. Let me tell you it is not it is execrable. On the entire cruise I did not eat more than two mouthfuls of any main course. Everything is over salted. Everything could be cooked by a junior chef in a Toby Carvery – and to be honest that is doing a disservice to that venerable brand.

First day at breakfast. We were late so went to the ‘late breakfast’. There were some dried up pastries that had been out since 6.30 (I was up so I know) and around two glasses of orange juice left in the bottom of a jug. The reception staff told us the downstairs buffet was still open so that was a relief. We were not offered tea and coffee and it seemed that the staff had simply knocked off but we managed with what was available upstairs. I sought someone out and asked for butter as bread was about the only thing we wanted to eat left on the buffet. The ship had run out of butter….

I tried four soups. The first was a ginger and pumpkin which had a bit a balsamic drizzled on top (why?) which when I put the first spoonful in my mouth had I been in my own kitchen I would have spat out. The next a French onion with no onion and no flavour. The mushroom was almost tolerable but oversalted. The tomato consommé - salty dishwater.

All the food felt cheap. When on holiday you expect things to be at least as good if not better than you could have at home. This feels the quality (I imagine) you would get in an all inclusive two star resort in the Dominican Republic. Including the rather bizarre (and inexpensive) fish options which included from memory trigger fish, parrot fish, catfish and tilapia . There was bass one day which was the only nearly decent fish dish on the entire cruise.

Breakfast comprises UHT orange juice which we would never drink, very odd coffee, excellent tea (wouldn’t get away with less on such a British ship) and the same central spread every day. Mounted up with salad that most British would not eat for breakfast and smoked salmon that is barely touched. Some of the bread is nice and I came up with a genius idea last night that I would make some rolls with some ham for lunch (not going to sneak going to ask!) but I looked at the cooked meats and everything was processed – no real ham at all.

I complained midway during the cruise about the food. On that same evening we were booked into the ‘fine dining’ experience which took place at a pretty venue at the rear of the ship. It was all very well intentioned and – I guess due to the complaint – people danced attendance on us. The naivety and lack of sophistication of the chef was revealed in all its glory when a (much anticipated as favourite dish of ours) tuna tartare starter was made with tinned tuna……. I think we knew then that there was no hope.

Generally on the cooking I actually think you would have to make an effort to cook this badly. I also think you would work hard to come up with the flavour combinations. I don’t cook and I could do better (much).

Coupled with several stops being pretty touristic with no obvious decent food available spent a fair amount of our holiday hungry, eating potato crisps and more than once we were been thankful for the (cheap) peanuts in the lounge.

Other

This morning I was woken at 6am by someone hoovering near our room. Surely not? Oh yes.

Ships sometimes dock next to each other. If this happens when you are in port and on the wrong side your room is immediately unusable. The aforementioned lovely window isn’t great if you are looking directly into someone else’s room. It is not a deal breaker in isolation for river cruising but definitely one more nail in its coffin for us.