Help! 1st time cruiser needs clothing advice

GrammieMame

We are cruising Greek Islands in October on a small ship (200 passengers); a University sponsored trip. It's likely to be a pretty geriatric crowd. I haven't cruised, and I'm kind of nervous about clothing issues. I'm basically a very casual, low maintenance person (my favorite shopping is Land's End and Chico's). However, I do enjoy the occasional dress-up occasion and have no problem with spiffing it up.

Our cruise literature says "daytime shipboard attire is casual. "Smart casual" attire, consisting of open-neck shirts, slacks and sports outfit is appropriate for evening attire. Suggested attire for the welcome reception is a suit or jacket and tie for men and appropriate equivalent for women". There is no mention of a formal night. I'm thinking the whole thing is going to be a little more casual than the cruises I've been reading about here.

I'm planning on black crepe pants with a black camisole and a sheer low v-neck purple beaded tunic top for the welcome reception. The other nights, more or less what I would wear out to a local dinner in a nice restaurant or theater. Will my husband be OK with a golf shirt, slacks and sport coat, or do you think a cotton shirt is required for dinner. For daytime (we have shore excursions every day) I'm thinking of cropped sandals with a t-shirt or polo shirt and sandals.

Am I on the right track here?

Greetings,

You're plan sounds perfect. The smaller ships are usually a little less formal. I think your combos will be just fine and you're husband will look very "smart casual" in his sportcoat. Plus he can ditch it of it's muggy on deck (which it very well might be)

You have a fabulous cruise in store. Have a wonder trip!

mrsraggy

Smaller ships are not always less formal. Actually, some of the smallest ships are the most formal of any cruise ship. If you're talking Seabourn (200 passengers) or any of the ships of Silversea (350), those two lines are very formal in the evening.

To the original poster, do you know the name of the ship you're cruising on, and what cruise line it is? That makes a big difference. If it's Windstar, then what you plan sounds just perfect, but it it is by some chance Seabourn, you might want to take something a little more formal.

We are on the M.S. Le Diamant. I have looked on the web and can't find any reference to a cruise line, but many references to this ship being used for University sponsored cruises. Is it possible to be a cruise ship and not be associated with a specific line? In any case, the thing that had me a little concerned is the likely age of the group - will probably be primarily seniors. And they tend to dress up more than young whipper-snappers. Anyhow, thanks for the replies.

We are on the M.S. Le Diamant. I have looked on the web and can't find any reference to a cruise line, but many references to this ship being used for University sponsored cruises. Is it possible to be a cruise ship and not be associated with a specific line? In any case, the thing that had me a little concerned is the likely age of the group - will probably be primarily seniors. And they tend to dress up more than young whipper-snappers. Anyhow, thanks for the replies.

There are several ships used exclusively for educational charters and are not affiliated with a cruise line as we know it.

Your clothing choices sound perfect to me. Perhaps include one or two long sleeve button down shirts along with the golf shirts just so your husband has options.

kim

Archived