Car rental in Cadiz

buffery

I tried to rent a car there, but we're there on a Sunday, and there was a hefty surcharge for renting on a Sunday (total rental over $200). The closest reasonable car I could find on Sunday was at the Jerez airport, which is not exactly close. Hopefully you will not be in Cadiz on a Sunday! However, I can tell you that there is a car rental place (Europcar, I think) fairly close to the port. From the u-shaped port, it is about a 10 minute walk (or perhaps a little longer for you - or perhaps you can get a cab to take you.) It is by the train station, which is also by the bus station, which is at Plaza Seville. Cadiz is pretty small in the grand scheme of things, so you probably wouldn't have to go very far to get to a place to rent a car.

We have used Europcar several times in other cities and found them to be good. If you find something, post back and I may be able to give you better information as to how close to the port it is.

I decided not to go visit the white villages and instead take the bus to Seville, and train back. Cadiz is also a pretty nice place in itself.

Edited by roothy123

As Roothy's post, Europcar operate from the rail station (the office is inside the station), which is on the corner of the port. A walk of 5 minutes to 20 minutes depending where you berth.

More expensive than other rental agencies plus a location surcharge payable locally. But other agencies are 3 or 4 miles away at the far end of town, would need a taxi each-way thus be more expensive overall & more time-consuming.

IIRC it cost us about 50 - 60 euros plus fuel - nothing like Roothie's $200 but it wasn't a sunday, which is a problem in many European ports.

Modern clean car, easy driving, tolerably easy navigation & parking, no worries.

We drove some of the white villages, met ship's tour at one.

Ended up at Conil, on the coast. The one disappointment. A run-down seaside resort - don't waste your time.

Better to go inland. Even as far as Ronda if your ship has a late departure - an interesting circular route is toward 200 miles & over 4 hrs driving but it's mainly scenic driving along valleys & winding hilltop roads & through little villages.

Seville isn't my scene, but might be yours.

Or you could take the local train to Jerez de la Frontere (about 20 miles) for the sherry bodegas & http://www.realescuela.org/en/

Or enjoy a lazy day exploring Cadiz. The interesting old part is right outside the port.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull