Taxi from EWR to Bayonne

warmwinds

We are spending the night before at an EWR airport hotel (the Hilton, actual address Elizabeth).

Will a taxi directly from there be the same price as one from the airport itself? We'd like the convenience of going directly from the hotel, but if it will be a worthwhile savings we'll take the hotel shuttle/air train back to the airport.

No reason to go back to the airport. Prices will be very similar. If you want to know the price, book a car service like Dial7 or Carmellimo where you should get a quote that includes the base fare and tolls and add on the expected tips. For a more budget transfer contact Independent driver - 888-816-0973 to get a quote. The price should be about $45-48 for up to four people.

So a taxi will be metered either from the airport or from the hotel? That I guess was my underlying question (that I did not articulate very well).

I recall FROM Cape Liberty to EWR it was a flat rate, I did not know if it was a flat rate going in the other direction.

It will be a flat rate from the airport to Cape Liberty as well, but from what I've heard, it's not a regulated rate which means that you are at the mercy of what the cab driver decides to charge when you call the cab. You can call some Elizabeth cab companies to see if they will quote you.

There's no way you want to risk going to Cape Liberty on a metered rate because the traffic is often backed up getting into the port. I've experienced wait times of 0 minutes to 45 minutes to get from the port entrance 2 miles down to the drop off point.

Bottom line is that most folks pick a time to go to the port and prearrange a car service.

Ok, we've used Dial 7 before, will do so again. Thanks. But I'm still confused...I always thought a "flat rate" was one regulated by PANJ (or whatever the acronym is)...when we arrived back from a cruise once we were headed to Weehawken and the dispatcher at Cape Liberty looked on his list and told the cabbie what to charge us. He got lost several times but still just charged us what the dispatcher said.

I don't need to get into "negotiations" the first day.

Thanks again.

Yes - the flat rate works from Cape Liberty to Newark Airport because the dispatcher is in charge of quoting all the non prebooked livery services leaving the port. This is good because the fare is agreed upon before leaving the port and there is less chance the "tourists" will get ripped off. I think that all the liveries have to have some sort of permission to get in the livery line for fares - they just can't wander into the port and try pick up unbooked passengers curbside.

I don't think EWR works the same way. The last time I took a cab there I just grabbed one from the taxi stand and there was no dispatcher and we asked how much it was to the Sheraton (now the Doubletree). Perhaps someone with more extensive experience with EWR cabs could comment.

I don't think EWR works the same way. The last time I took a cab there I just grabbed one from the taxi stand and there was no dispatcher and we asked how much it was to the Sheraton (now the Doubletree). Perhaps someone with more extensive experience with EWR cabs could comment.

yes and know. In order to pick up a passenger from a taxi line in EWR they have to be licensed and all fares are for a fixed fee.

http://www.panynj.gov/airports/ewr-taxi-car-van-service.html

Newark Taxi Commission (973) 733-8912

Elizabeth Taxi Commission (908) 820-4000, Ext. 4178

one of the terminals is only Elizabeth cabs and the other two are Newark licensed ones...but don't ask me which are which I don't know...

Edited by smeyer418

So if we were to get a taxi from the dispatcher at Cape Liberty to our hotel at Secaucus it would be a fixed rate?

Was thinking of pre booking a car service but not sure what time to arrange it for.

Maybe we would be better to get a taxi of the fares are regulated?

So if we were to get a taxi from the dispatcher at Cape Liberty to our hotel at Secaucus it would be a fixed rate?

Was thinking of pre booking a car service but not sure what time to arrange it for.

Maybe we would be better to get a taxi of the fares are regulated?

The taxi dispatcher will give you a fixed quote. Tolls and tip would be additional. You can confirm the rate with your driver before you get in the cab. This system seems to work well - we have not gotten complaints about it on this forum. Folks have NOT posted that they were "ripped off" in some way taking a cab from Cape Liberty.

If you prebook a car service, you need a cell phone to communicate with the driver so that you can meet the car. The entire side of the Cape Liberty terminal is covered by a tent with numbered parking spaces to pull in for drop offs and pickups. To find your driver you have to know what numbered slot he is pulling into.

To get a idea of price I would call Secaucus Taxi to see what they would charge. They are the local taxi company for Secaucus and have been recommended on this forum by one of our frequent posters.