Yet another dress code question

ackc

Hello all,

I am an experienced cruiser, but have just booked our first on Seabourn, through the Panama Canal in Nov. I have just read in the brochure that shorts are discouraged in The Restaurant during breakfast and lunch. Can you please provide more information on the daytime attire. Thanks for all of your great information on these boards. I can't wait for our cruise!

It's really quite simple. I wear shorts early in the morning and most of the day, at least until Tea Time. (Even in colder climates.) I have never eaten breakfast or lunch in the Restaurant, ever. I am on vacation and enjoy a more laid back day. (Except with the Galley Brunch, once a cruise.)

We always prefer the Veranda because we like to eat outside. The views can be great. Lunch can also be eaten upstairs on the top deck by the Sky Bar, usually a grill out.

When we are in port and have to leave early to tour, we order breakfast in our room, and often order a box lunch to take with us, either to eat in the park or on the beach.

For dinner though, we do like to dress. In the Restaurant, balck tie if formal night, and jacket on other nights, even in the Veranda, even though jackets aren't required.

I ate lunch in the Restaurant each day of my crossing in March. There were typically only about 10 other passengers dining there and while I always wore pants, I'm sure no one would have batted an eyelash had I worn shorts. :)

Edit - I recall a few men that wore shorts and it did not seem out of place.

Matt,

You can order lunch the night before, or in the dining room on the day-of, or at room service if you prefer to have breakfast ensuite, or you can even mention it to the Veranda personnel. Basically, all you have to do is ask. Seabourn doesn't know the word, "no". Enjoy!

:)

Denyse

ackc~~~as a "lady that enjoys lunching" I have seen shorts in the dining room.

I personally would never wear them, but I think the "proper length" would be fine. Many wear shorts, dining for breakfast, especially in Port, as they probably have excursions later. On one sailing last year, a group of us were having lunch and a couple came into the dining room and the woman was wearing a bathing suit cover-up! We all thought the Maitre 'D should have visited with her.....as a

cover-up is not appropriate or suitable.

Have a grrreat time on the Legend! Be prepared for many wonderful surprises!

Martita

Martita~~I appreciate all of your info. Yes, very much looking forward to the Panama Canal (again) on Seabourn. We did it last year on Silversea. Love to dress up for dinner, but glad to hear casual attire is fine for daytime. I was getting worried that noone ever wore shorts!:)

My first Seabourn cruise isn't until next year but, based on the photos posted by passengers, it appears that everyone-men & women; passengers and staff--wears shorts during the day. As a result, it would seem that The Restaurant would be a totally underutilized and wasted dining venue during the day if the "no shorts" policy was actually enforced. I wonder why Seabourn continues to make "no shorts" in the The Restaurant at any time official policy? Is it simply bureaucratic inertia? Where are dress code and other policies made-at the Seabourn home office, onboard or at Carnival corporate headquarters?

Oh shorts, Tee's, etc., etc. are worn nearly everyday......I wear alot of white cotton pants and Tee's, cruise sweaters....very informal during the day. You will throughly enjoy the evening attire.....sooo elegant when all the Sailor/guests dress in their best! And fun, too!

Happy Trails and Sails!

Martita B.

cruiseyguy~~~it may indeed look like everyone is in shorts, but the truth is, MANY wear long pants. As Seabourn attracts a more mature group of Guests, the majority do wear long pants and the ladies skirts/pant suits. Some wear the Bermuda type shorts.

The dining room, many days, is full.......especially if it's raining or chilly. There are quite a few of us that luncheon everyday in the main dining room....we just like white table cloths! hahaha

Happy Sailing!

Martita

Hello all,

I am an experienced cruiser, but have just booked our first on Seabourn, through the Panama Canal in Nov. I have just read in the brochure that shorts are discouraged in The Restaurant during breakfast and lunch. Can you please provide more information on the daytime attire. Thanks for all of your great information on these boards. I can't wait for our cruise!

My first cruise on Seabourn was through the Panama Canal in Feb. 2004. I did wear shorts (and crop pants) to the dining room for lunch. I will say that the dining room was pretty empty during lunch as most opted to eat in the Verandah restaurant. BTW, the french fries are to die for!!!

Lisa :)

I like to eat in the dining room of my cruises also . Whether I am in trunks or whatever I always go back and change to someting nice to go to the dining room. I was brought up to dress when going out to a place. We used to wear jackets and ties to Steak N Ale !!!!!! When done I go back and change again to whatever I am doing next . Of course I take 3 suit cases of clothing !!!!! My family is probably like Miss Martita B's we are not allowed by my mom to wear shorts on the deck of their home in the mountains because it is on the golf course and " shorts should not be seen on the golf course " Mother's rules !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm almost scared to death to take my shirt off at the pool !!!! I was in the penguin swim on HAL Antarctic cruise and I wore a cummerbund and tie for that !! :D

John III

Another "Seabourn Spoiler Moment" regarding box lunches came to mind after reading the above thread. We were on the Spirit in Vietnam and heading for an early morning tour to Hanoi. The night before we had posted our room breakfast order - not realizing - I had forgotten to right our name or cabin number on it. The next morning as we were preparing to leave, I kept wondering where our breakfast was. I finally (and too late as departure was in about 10 minutes) called room service and got Dear Marcello. After his warm personal greeting, I had explained that we had not received our room service breakfast and to cancel it. He said he was waiting for the call from someone who had ordered but had not written down the needed name and/or cabin number. I told him we were off and would just get fruit from the cabin - everything was fine. No sooner had we boarded the tour bus, but then Marcello came on the bus, called out our name and delivered a surprise of two delicious box brunches! We ate on the two hour trip and of course never suffered from hunger pangs. Now that is service!!!! Only one of the many special things about Seabourn. I can't wait until our Fjiord/British Isle trip in 2006!

No sooner had we boarded the tour bus, but then Marcello came on the bus, called out our name and delivered a surprise of two delicious box brunches! We ate on the two hour trip and of course never suffered from hunger pangs. Now that is service!!!!

That is service indeed.:)

Another "Seabourn Spoiler Moment" regarding box lunches came to mind after reading the above thread. We were on the Spirit in Vietnam and heading for an early morning tour to Hanoi. The night before we had posted our room breakfast order - not realizing - I had forgotten to right our name or cabin number on it. The next morning as we were preparing to leave, I kept wondering where our breakfast was. I finally (and too late as departure was in about 10 minutes) called room service and got Dear Marcello. After his warm personal greeting, I had explained that we had not received our room service breakfast and to cancel it. He said he was waiting for the call from someone who had ordered but had not written down the needed name and/or cabin number. I told him we were off and would just get fruit from the cabin - everything was fine. No sooner had we boarded the tour bus, but then Marcello came on the bus, called out our name and delivered a surprise of two delicious box brunches! We ate on the two hour trip and of course never suffered from hunger pangs. Now that is service!!!! Only one of the many special things about Seabourn. I can't wait until our Fjiord/British Isle trip in 2006!

Thank god it is only the passengers that have Altzheimers!!

John

John,

I know. I think I am on my way to memory loss with that episode. Thank goodness for Seabourn and its service like Marcello's! The ultimate would be to just live on one of the ships for life and let them pamper and take care of me. I can dream at least.

I wonder whatever happened to Marcello? What a delight he was as all the others too.

That was the trip where we boarded in Hong Kong and departed in Mumbai - 26 days of bliss. Prior to our leaving we stayed a few days in HK and visited the bar at the Regent Hotel (now the Intercontinental) As it was the year of the Dragon, they had a colorful printed menu of ten drink specials, with ingredients, representing this year. I tried one and could barely walk out of the hotel. Before departing, I asked if I could have a menu and the waitress gave me one.

After checking in on the Spirit, we headed for the Sky Bar for sailaway. The bartender's name was Dragon (from Crotia I believe or somewhere close) and I was telling him about my Dragon drink at the Regent. He asked me to bring the menu to him and he would try to make it for me. He made a copy of all ten drinks and for ten days I would try a new one. We scored them daily from one to ten. He kept his copy and I kept my orginal. However, I always returned to my 'tinis'; cosmo, lemon drop, and my new favorite, 'peachy kini tini'

When we signed up for our second cruise and boarded - guess what the new bartender had on file for me? My Dragon drink menu! I revisited some of them plus some new ones the bartender wanted to introduce.

I have been hesitant in telling my "spoiler moments" as I know this will be read by others who have never traveled on Seabourn. Then when we go to book - the cruise will be SOLD OUT! Yikes, we have to have our 'Seabourn Fix'.

Oh, I do love Seabourn!

Miss M,

>"t...he woman was wearing a bathing suit cover-up! We all thought the Maitre 'D should have visited with her.....as a cover-up is not appropriate or suitable."

If my memory serves me, I think I heard that happened and one of the couple was a Seabourn employee. But then, I think my memory serves two masters some days!

Jane (Watching the PGA-rain delay- and think I might try the putting contest at the Sky Bar.)

When sailing on the Prde last November Ollie and I were really craving a mojito.

Nelson at the skybar said that he did not have any fresh mint and thought that using the frozen would not be acceptable. We went on with this for a few days.

During the evening under the stars cheffy Pascal came by and asked if everything was OK. As usual everythind was wonderful. However I mentioned to cheffy that I was missing my mojitos. He exclaimed "so you are the one that has been looking for the mint". I said to chef Pascal if I could find some at one of our next ports would he mind if I brought it on board. He said he wouldn't mind but may feel a bit embarrased. The very next day we stopped in Guadaloupe. As we were exiting the ship to take a brief walk we were greeted by Chef Pascal at the top of the gangway with a huge bouquet of fresh mint. He hadn't forgotten and went out of his way to find it. Needless to say the mojitos were flowing for the rest of the cruise.

Seabourn never disappoints.

mcboo:) :) :)

Yet another amazing story~~~~I enjoy having ginger ale, fresh slices of oranges and mint sprigs in my suite. Usually in the mornings while dressing I'll fix a ginger ale cooler.......many afternoons, upon returning to my suite, there has been placed a small desert dish of oranges slices and mint on the coffee table!

How "suite sweet" thoughtful the staff is!

Ever spelled STRESSED backward?????

Go ahead and eat it first.....life is short!

Martita

It is great to hear such amazing stories. Last year they ran out of Amaretto on a Silversea's ship. I should have bought some duty-free at the Aruba stop~~ because they certainly didn't! And that wasn't the only thing they ran out of that cruise. I am truly looking forward to my Seabourn voyage.

Archived