Verizon Connection on Eclipse

ridgerunner51

When in port the fact that you are on a ship is irrelevant. Your cellular service will be identical what you'd have if you were standing on the dock or sitting in a nearby building. The ship's own systems are only used when sailing at sea out of reach of land based cellular service.

Whether or nor you will have Verizon service will depend on the location of the port and, if out of the country, whether you have enabled your device for international roaming. Before doing so you should be aware that the cost of international data roaming is typically wildly expensive unless you have put your device on an international data package. So please check with your carrier for more information and rates.

I have AT&T service. We usually buy an international roaming package for our cellular enabled iPad when going on a cruise so that I can use the iPad from our cabin when we are docked in port. This has worked for me both in the Caribbean and at ports in Europe.

Also, if you are sailing the Caribbean some USA cellular companies consider Puerto Rico and USVI ports (Like St. Thomas) part of their home territory. If so they will be included in your regular service. I know AT&T does, not sure about other companies.

Edited by Lsimon

So, the question is, does Verizon have service in England and Norway, and the answer is probably not directly, but you might be roaming on someone else's system. The advice given is spot on, you will need to be on an international data roaming package, and even then, watch the prices carefully.