Couple of questions from a 1st Timer!

Deeliteful

Hi All

This will be my first cruise on Cunard so hopefully you experts can help -

is champagne served for sailaway (FOC or charge?),

if I remember rightly port side is best for sailing out of Venice but is there a "go to" place for best views of sail aways?

Thanks

Pat

Hi All This will be my first cruise on Cunard so hopefully you experts can help - is champagne served for sailaway (FOC or charge?), if I remember rightly port side is best for sailing out of Venice but is there a "go to" place for best views of sail aways? Thanks Pat
Hi Pat/Deeliteful,

Sorry, it has been many years since I sailed out of Venice (and that wasn't with Cunard), so I can't help you there :( .

As for the "champagne at sail-away" question... they'll sell small bottles of champagne from tables set up (and the bars) all over the open decks at sail-away. I can't remember the price, but if there is a group of you (or you're esp thirsty ;) ) ask for a full size bottle, it is usually cheaper per glass/person (but check first).

I've also taken bottles of good champagne on board, esp for the sail-away parties, and chilled them in my cabin 'fridge.

(In your cabin when you embark there will be a half-bottle (sometimes full bottle if you've done something bad) of "Pol Acker", "compliments" of Cunard.

This looks like sparkling white wine, but don't be fooled. That is only the bottle.

Some use it to clear drains, others to remove stains from patios/decking. If you spill it, the results look like the scene from Alien where the creature's "blood" burnt down through three decks. Best to call in the Bio-Hazard guys who will arrive in full chemical-warfare suits and carrying a long pair of tongs so the bottle can be safely removed. Do not leave it in the fridge as eventually the contents will dissolve the glass container.

As for the taste, not many have lived to tell the tale of course, but of those who croaked something, before they croaked, the general opinion is that it's better than chardonnay ;)).

Hope this helps, have a great time, a huge Bon Voyage! :)

Edited by pepperrn

is champagne served for sailaway (FOC or charge?),

if I remember rightly port side is best for sailing out of Venice but is there a "go to" place for best views of sail aways?

Thanks

Pat

Yes, port side is best.

David.

Bear in mind that Venice is hell bent on introducing new rules for large cruise ships using the port. The proposal is to route them in west of the current cruise terminal thus avoiding the Giudecca Canal. However, from memory, both the Vista Sistas will be "small" enough not to be affected. Assuming you use the traditional route then port side is best for sailaway and I can thoroughly recommend the observation deck at the forward end of Six Deck as a vantage point - not sure if that is open to passengers on QE (it certainly is on QV) but it will be worth your while to check up on this before you get to Venice (it's also excellent for the sail in on arrival).

Incidentally, if you a re interested, you will find some of my photos from Venice on this page on my website:

http://www.shipworld.org/2013-cruise/

J

... However, from memory, both the Vista Sistas will be "small" enough not to be affected... J
Hi Cruachan,

From my limited knowledge on this (or any other) subject, I think you are entirely correct, the "size" limit is 96,000gt, if I read things correctly.

Best wishes,

Edited by pepperrn

Hi Cruachan,

From my limited knowledge on this (or any other) subject, I think you are entirely correct, the "size" limit is 96,000gt, if I read things correctly.

Best wishes,

Yeah - I think they picked the size limit deliberately so as not to exclude Fincantieri built ships! :cool:

J

I can thoroughly recommend the observation deck at the forward end of Six Deck as a vantage point ... J

I certainly agree with Cruachan that the forward decks (5,6,7 and 9) are the best spots, if they're open.

If they're closed then all the top deck places are likely to be very busy, but you could try the little raised area on top of the Yacht Club. It's high enough for you to see both sides. If you're in the Grills then the Terrace or the Upper Terrace are ideal. There's also the aft end of deck 9, around the pool or deck 10 just above it.

For a different perspective, and possibly the quietest area, try the promenade deck (deck 3). You'll be more on a level with the buildings rather than looking down on them.

Just to help get you in the mood

Have a great cruise. Regards, Colin.

on the most recent sailing out of Venice (1 August) they opened up the "crew" area at the pointy end on deck 5.

and I think there was someone giving out or selling drinks too. (See comment above about the half-bottle to welcome you to your stateroom.)

it was a little bit crowded but everyone good natured and made room for you if you brandished your camera.

while port will give you st Mark's and the bridge of sighs, there are nice sights starboard too and that's where the sun will set before the ship turns out of the dock. so try to be somewhere where you can see both sides. deck 3 should be less crowded than deck 10 and 11, but will require walking to and fro to see what you are missing.

Some use it to clear drains, others to remove stains from patios/decking. If you spill it, the results look like the scene from Alien where the creature's "blood" burnt down through three decks. Best to call in the Bio-Hazard guys who will arrive in full chemical-warfare suits and carrying a long pair of tongs so the bottle can be safely removed. Do not leave it in the fridge as eventually the contents will dissolve the glass container.

Actually, I do have a bit of a problem with my en-suite toilet at home at the moment in that it empties ok but sometimes very slowly. I've tried B&Q instant drain cleaner (which is pretty much sulphuric acid) and it's not really helped that much. If I could only get hold of some Pol Acker !!!

I certainly agree with Cruachan that the forward decks (5,6,7 and 9) are the best spots, if they're open.

If they're closed then all the top deck places are likely to be very busy, but you could try the little raised area on top of the Yacht Club. It's high enough for you to see both sides. If you're in the Grills then the Terrace or the Upper Terrace are ideal. There's also the aft end of deck 9, around the pool or deck 10 just above it.

For a different perspective, and possibly the quietest area, try the promenade deck (deck 3). You'll be more on a level with the buildings rather than looking down on them.

Just to help get you in the mood

Have a great cruise. Regards, Colin.

Agred.

That's a great vid! Sailed out of Venice on QV - absolutely magical, there are insufficient words to describe it IMO.

Thank you all so much for the info - can't wait to sail out of Venice again - one of the loveliest cities and sailaways IMO. I'll have to have a scout round to find the best viewing from all of the above.

So I will get my champagne fix but I'll know to pass the Pol Acker to my sister!!

:-)

Actually, I do have a bit of a problem with my en-suite toilet at home at the moment in that it empties ok but sometimes very slowly. I've tried B&Q instant drain cleaner (which is pretty much sulphuric acid) and it's not really helped that much. If I could only get hold of some Pol Acker !!!
I return from QM2 on September 8th, I'll have the guys from Porton Down come and collect my bottle from the cabin and (carefully) pop it 'round to your place in a sealed container. Look out for a special delivery:

203593535_Polcontainer.jpg.90e50183b8d6928773a245c971f573d4.jpg

Edited by pepperrn